80 vs H3 trail off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went on an Adventure 4x4 run last fall that had an H3 along. I believe it was stock. Had no issues with Coyote Canyon in Anza. That may not really say all that much as I've seen a well spotted and a couple of rocks stacked street tires 4runner and FJCruiser make it up there also.

I learned to not be so cocky about the Hummer vehicles RIGHT AWAY after wheeling with the AZ Club. They can wheel just like all the 4WD mags say they can.

Stock to stock I'll take a rear-locked H3 over a rear-locked FJC ANY DAY! PLUS, you can outfit an H3 from Hummer with a front locker. 4:1 T-case, 50+:1 crawl.....wow!

Modified....they are even better though they won't keep up with a modified 55-100 Cruiser.

The stock H2's I've wheeled with hang 24/7 due to poor breakover. BEFORE you bash ALL H2's.....you better wheel with my one buddy with 6" lift and 37's. He did EVERYTHING my LX450 did. In fact, he did many things even easier due to amazing ground clearance. And, IFS saved him in the mega-deep water whereas my relay rod got mangled on unseen boulders and for a while I couldn't turn left. Equipped like his H2 is....Cruiser owners should approach humbly.

IF...IF...IF they were put together as well as a Cruiser....I'd be wheeling them too.

150449217_p2Ehd-L.jpg

253843999_cmEy6-XL.jpg

253844003_SXTbX-XL.jpg

I'm :popcorn: this thread but thought I'd add a little info of my own. Last week our wheeling club had some new people show up and one guy had a H3. It had a 2" lift on the front and 33" AT's. To it's credit it did every obstacle I did and made it up everything except the last hill. I made it with lockers. He could not although his rig had factory limited slips front and rear. The H3 did drag it's belly on a lot of rocks but it did better then I expected. I'm Toyota for life but it was cool to see someone abusing their H3 for a change. Here are pics for your viewing pleasure.

040608048.jpg

040608056.jpg

040608081.jpg

040608082.jpg

040608093.jpg

040608098.jpg

And some video of the last hill.

I have noticed the H3 traction control is sub-par. Had this H3 had the factory rear locker or the factory triple lockers he'd a crawled right up too.

They can wheel just like all the 4WD mags say they can.

Stock to stock I'll take a rear-locked H3 over a rear-locked FJC ANY DAY!

Modified....they are even better though they won't keep up with a modified 55-100 Cruiser.

Shotts, ou need to qualify "what kind of wheeling" (rock crawling, mud, water, fire roads, etc.) before you say they are better...:flipoff2:

P.S. Just messing with you, I hope you got that one...:hillbilly:

I have noticed the H3 traction control is sub-par. Had this H3 had the factory rear locker or the factory triple lockers he'd a crawled right up too.

I think he is going to fit a rear locker soon. He just fab'ed in a winch and is now running on 35's. We had a 4runner locked in the rear with us and he made it up with little problem. It would be better if Hummer outfitted the H3 with coils all the way around but given the frame it probably cost too much. Now if they make this
Hummer HX Concept Promo Vid
we will have a lot to talk about.

I work for a pretty large Hummer dealer in the svc dept so here is my 2 cents. The stock ride is very taught and bumpy from 40-60 mph like you almost have a bad tire, I can't tell you how many people come in and want their tires balanced:D! The interior is fairly cramped and very little rear storage due to the intrusion of the rear wheel wells. The old 3.5's are very underpowered and even the new 3.7 is barely adequate, the 5.3 v-8 makes it a different vehicle though. The windows are like gun slits, in hummer style, and the back window is tiny also. The good: The turning radius is great, the steering is very quick and responsive and also has a nice thick steering wheel. If equipped with the "Adventure Package":rolleyes: they come with 285 Bridgestones, a rear e-locker and a 4-1 t-case ratio making them a lot better off road. No option for a front locker or limited slip until the H-3t comes out in a month or more. Saying all of this I have a few customers that actually use theirs and have had no major problems. I have seen one tie rod end busted on one that is running 315's. I have also seen a couple that have gotten too close to a side flop and the side airbags have gone off!:doh:
Anyway I haven't wheeled personally with any H3's but a few H2's and H1's and wasn't overly impressed with either, just too large for south east wheeling. So somebody get out there and compare this thing to our perfect, indestructible, king of the road 80's!!:cheers:

Shotts, ou need to qualify "what kind of wheeling" (rock crawling, mud, water, fire roads, etc.) before you say they are better...:flipoff2:

P.S. Just messing with you, I hope you got that one...:hillbilly:

Better than an FJC? Almost every trail type. I've been on 4 runs with AZ HummerX.....even on the very difficult (huge ledges, deep water, huge rocks) trip they just "went". Been on the same trail with FJC's and not impressed.

No option for a front locker or limited slip until the H-3t comes out in a month or more

Except that through your Hummer dealer you've been able to take delivery of an H3 with front locker, custom bumpers, (and other gear, winch, etc) and have them fully warranted like the rest of the truck. Close enough to "factory" for me. :)

Better than an FJC? Almost every trail type. I've been on 4 runs with AZ HummerX.....even on the very difficult (huge ledges, deep water, huge rocks) trip they just "went". Been on the same trail with FJC's and not impressed.

enough of this crap! I'm fully aware of your technical ignorance and if you want a back and fourth on what you think about some technical merits of a particular design go start another thread. This is about me getting some trail time in this truck for a real hands on experience.

enough of this ****! I'm fully aware of your technical ignorance and if you want a back and fourth on what you think about some technical merits of a particular design go start another thread. This is about me getting some trail time in this truck for a real hands on experience.

thank you very much...well said

As far as I know I have never seen a front locker option from the factory. Rock sliders are the only other factory option I have seen that will enhance the off road prowess of the vehicle. There are aftermarket options for winch bumpers but nothing factory I am aware of yet and I have worked at this dealership for about 3 years.

enough of this crap! I'm fully aware of your technical ignorance and if you want a back and fourth on what you think about some technical merits of a particular design go start another thread. This is about me getting some trail time in this truck for a real hands on experience.

To drive a four-wheel drive vehicle over land and trails, one doesn't need "technical knoledge or merits". All one needs are eyes and an OBJECTIVE spirit. I thought the H3's would suck.....they do not and my feeling we're hurt when my eyes discovered the truth. Why are you so touchy? Afraid you might like things about the rig after some ass time inside?

Mr. Terd in the Punchbowl has arrived...and clueless as usual

Yes, I am aware of that. I pretended I spent 30+ hours with Hummers watching them do amazing stuff and handily.

Put me in the H3 with 4:1, 2" lift and rear locker and lets go do Golden Spike.

I was referring to you being oblivious to the object of the thread...stop being so touchy, isn't their someone in the 100 forum to 'nash teeth' with?

So..................................how did it wheel landtank? THat's the real question here; not a pile on shotts day.

Except that through your Hummer dealer you've been able to take delivery of an H3 with front locker, custom bumpers, (and other gear, winch, etc) and have them fully warranted like the rest of the truck. Close enough to "factory" for me. :)

I was referring to you being oblivious to the object of the thread...stop being so touchy, isn't their someone in the 100 forum to 'nash teeth' with?

I think this thread "might" have veered off track. The H3 is an above average out of the box 4 wheeler. It does a lot of things right and wrong. Is it comparable to our 80's, probably not. Can you comfortably take your family to the counrty club then go camping next weekend? yes, can you follow a moderatley built 80 to the club and then the trail and beyond, NO!! Now lets jump over to the Hummer lovers sites and see what they think. Probably the opposite:cheers:

So..................................how did it wheel landtank? THat's the real question here; not a pile on shotts day.

haven't gone out, tomorrow would be the day if it happens, I'm meeting with a couple guys tonight and hopefully can nail something down. But it is the middle of the week and it would me a Ferris Bueller day off for whoever takes me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom