80 stock bumper paint match (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NTTD

Lurker
Threads
To start off, I have searched and found the color codes for the stock '97 bumper paint:

Use Advanced Search, 80-section, keywords=bumper paint code

Got a few posts and the most detailed response that you could ever expect from none other than Cruiserdan.

painting bumpers

painting bumpers
1-95 to end of production

BASF: TOY-A83
DuPont: F2185
Sikkens: 9424
S/W: 54364
PPG 36254
Herberts: 73212
ICI: ETC3B...

...-B-

The problem is that I am having a hell of a time finding reference to this paint code outside of this site, including the sites that do custom paint in rattle cans. In addition, buying paint in this method tends to cost more.

What I'm really looking for is a factory color that matches or is similar so as not to change the look of the vehicle. Also I want a color available on the shelf in rattle cans for cost and future easy touch-up. I'm thinking there should be something in the Duplicolor Application Guide that will work.

I found 1C6 "Graphite Grey Pearl" in the "Toyota 2000 & Previous" section. This color may work, but I'm not exactly sure what this looks like. Honestly I don't particularly care if the color is a "Toyota" color as long as it looks close.

I plan on repainting the bumper and caps so the entire section will match itself, so no worries about mismatch there.

Thoughts?

I repainted some rear bumper wings yesterday using off the shelf spray paint. It was a graphite/gunmetal paint that is made for wheels. I'm almost sure it was DupliColor brand. I'll check when I get home.

The color match was very close. I also used it to respray my grille. It matched the grille paint EXACTLY.

Cool, that might be what I'm looking for.

The paint code that you're looking for is "1A6 - Gray Metallic".

If you go to a Napa Paint Supply Store (not just a regular Napa, make sure it's a paint supply store) they can mix it up and put it in an aerosol spray can for you. It's a lot cheaper to have them do this rather than order cans off websites that supply touch-up paint.

Good luck!

IMG_6883.jpg

Top and left are original, bottom right is Duplicolor High performance Wheel Coating, in Graphite color.

IMG_6884.jpg

Left OEM, right Duplicolor.

IMG_6885.jpg

Exact match on grille. I did not mask this, and you cannot tell where the new paint blends with the old.

You're turd polishing anyway, buy something close and call it good.:meh:

I have been looking for this paint code for several days, without any luck. There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on it. I have a 97, and I need to know the paint code for the rear bumper corners.

Anyone know the code? @cruiserdan

I called the dealer this morning, and they could not find any paint code based on the Vin, except for the main code which is 045.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom