80 starts but wont run after injector replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after some tedious back and forth with mechanics, i had come to conclusion that my injectors needed replacing. during the weekend i had purchased new injectors and decided to replace them, after replacing them putting everything back as it was, replaced some old vacuum lines and tightened everything back to spec, i go to turn the car on and it cranks, starts but then runs rough for a few seconds then just shuts itself off. i was left baffled and confused on whats going on, seems to me the injectors are doing fine and trying to keep the car running however something else is refusing to let the car run. Ive got a 40 anniversary 97 80 series 1fzfe. any help would be much apprciated thanks guys!

Are you sure they are all plugged in all the way? You can listen with a long screwdriver on each injector and listen if they are clicking/working. Also try wiggling your main wiring harness around the EGR pipe and see if it changes anything.

after some tedious back and forth with mechanics, i had come to conclusion that my injectors needed replacing. during the weekend i had purchased new injectors and decided to replace them, after replacing them putting everything back as it was, replaced some old vacuum lines and tightened everything back to spec, i go to turn the car on and it cranks, starts but then runs rough for a few seconds then just shuts itself off. i was left baffled and confused on whats going on, seems to me the injectors are doing fine and trying to keep the car running however something else is refusing to let the car run. Ive got a 40 anniversary 97 80 series 1fzfe. any help would be much apprciated thanks guys!

Did you also replace the seals and ensure the plugs were properly pluged in AND in the correct order, pretty easy to swap #4 and #5

Check the plug on top of the distributor since it was most likely pushed on or rearranged during this project. Look for a loose plug and frayed or broken wires.

hey all thanks for the responses after taking everything i found out the gasket for the manifold to the block was way passed its day and was very brittle causing vacuum issues which wouldnt allow the car to stay running, im going to be ordering a new gasket and replacing it then giving the car another run, ill be updating soon enough. cheers!

hey all thanks for the responses after taking everything i found out the gasket for the manifold to the block was way passed its day and was very brittle causing vacuum issues which wouldnt allow the car to stay running, im going to be ordering a new gasket and replacing it then giving the car another run, ill be updating soon enough. cheers!
glad you found this issue but that may not be the cause of the engine dying. Engines can run with a vac leak, usually with a loud hissing sound. Please check the items mentioned previously and did you also change the O rings and gaskets with the new injectors? Someone asked this already I think.

glad you found this issue but that may not be the cause of the engine dying. Engines can run with a vac leak, usually with a loud hissing sound. Please check the items mentioned previously and did you also change the O rings and gaskets with the new injectors? Someone asked this already I think.
Hey ali! cheers for the reply, i checked all the o rings as previously mentioned and made sure to lube them all up, and put everything back together with new gaskets and also applied copper spray to enhance the seal a touch more. now ive got a new issue argh. After turning it on and taking it for a drive i noticed its now got a rough/choppy idle and a kinda rough take off as if its struggling but once its off she drives just fine, i replaced my spark plug leads and it helped with but not entirely, as if it was misfiring. I was then advised to change my sparkplugs, changed them and i thought finally she should be sweet but it still idles rough-ish but still noticeable and also on take off, currently confused on what to do. if anyone has any info/ideas on what can be done it would be much appreciated, cheers guys!

Was it running like this before the new injectors?

Was it running like this before the new injectors?
no actually it was running better before the injectors were replaced, if important to know the new injectors are denso originals and are the same as the old worn out ones

no actually it was running better before the injectors were replaced, if important to know the new injectors are denso originals and are the same as the old worn out ones
Where did they come from?

is there any way possible to see where the leak is? or even possibly identifying any underlying issues? cheers

just to make sure that you do not have a CEL (check engine light), yes? I wonder if your large intake tube (that runs from the air filter housing to the intake) has a small crack in it. I'd remove it then bend it this way and that way to see if the accordion section has a tiny crack that usually develops with time.

Finding a vac leak is a royal pain in the rear. I've used a smoke producing device to find vac leaks. Here's a YT video of a smoke tester to find a vac leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom