80 Series Sleeping Platform/ Storage System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a sleeping platform/ storage system for the back of an 80 Series Land Cruiser. I had a basic design drawn up, which was inspired by previous MUD builds, and a local cabinet guy ("Thomas") brought it to life. Because I did not do the fabricating I do not have much detailed knowledge of the build process or components. However, I thought it might be helpful or inspiring to others just to see it. The platform is not mounted to the vehicle. Total dimensions are 72"L x 56"W x 9.25"H. Drawers are 34" deep by 16" wide.

You should secure it just in case you find yourself on your lid one day.
Could save your life.

Wow man... excellent craftsmanship. I envy guys with superior wood working skills. Kudos. I’m sure the weight keeps it in place just fine for your normal camping trips. Anything more gnarly and you’re taking calculated chances, but that’s what makes life interesting.

Looks like you could fit a full/queen air mattress on top?

Wow man... excellent craftsmanship. I envy guys with superior wood working skills. Kudos. I’m sure the weight keeps it in place just fine for your normal camping trips. Anything more gnarly and you’re taking calculated chances, but that’s what makes life interesting.

Looks like you could fit a full/queen air mattress on top?
Yes, queen size air mattress is about exactly the size and it would fit. I've been using a backpacking sleeping pad for now. I'm considering getting a piece of memory foam cut, or doing the queen air mattress but the simplicity of a camping pad is nice and they work fine, for now, and pack up easily.

I like the memory foam idea. I’m looking for a solution for this myself. Nothing like a few creature comforts on the trail.

Looks awesome. I would make sure it’s tied down in some way. Even though you’re conscious, other drivers possibly may not be and if you flip that becomes a deadly projectile

How about some u-bolts to hook under the 2nd row seat mounts? Should be able to find the perfect size on McMaster

By the way, those are really nice looking drawers. I was thinking about making my own for the 2nd seat area like that.

Looks good! You can just drill holes into the bottom of the unit and use the 3rd row seat holes and possibly 2nd row to mount the system. I used the 3rd row holes to securely mount my system even though it's got some weight.

Yes, queen size air mattress is about exactly the size and it would fit. I've been using a backpacking sleeping pad for now. I'm considering getting a piece of memory foam cut, or doing the queen air mattress but the simplicity of a camping pad is nice and they work fine, for now, and pack up easily.
Exped mega mat duo. Its a queen size air mattress, but resembles a camp pad. Rolls up for easy storage. Super comfy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom