80 Series Frame / Body mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
long story short, that heatshield on your down pipe that goes to the cats, keep them on. Well it caused my frame/body mounts to rust and just that one from i guess the heat. I remember someone made or sold these mounts but could not find it. Help is appreciated. Ill even go with stocks ones.. Cut n Weld.

Thanks in Advance.

We must have been having a telepathic experience- I was under my truck when you wrote this, same spot, and noticed the exact same thing. Mine is just starting to go, though. Doesn’t look as dire as yours sounds. I’d imagine it’s not from the heat, but rather the water and salt spray protection the heat shield formerly provided. Anyway, subbed this thread to see what you find. I’m with you in spirit.

I do remember seeing this part that you can just purchased and that was long time ago.

Yep, I replaced mine a few months ago and the one up by the catalytic converter was the worst.

I used febest mounts but there is also a list out there somewhere with oem part #'s. I believe the oem part #'s that are still available are for the diesel 80 series. If you ask a dealer about a fzj80 they will say they are not available.

Maybe someone else can post the list of oem part #'s. Here is a list of the febest parts I used to change all the mounts.

Screenshot_20211019-150629_Gmail.jpg

Goodluck

Oh yeah, search is your friend.....

FYI, Passenger side #2 lower body mount by the cats is a different part than the driver side. It is unique in that it has a large metal ring that appears to be its own heat shield.

If youre talking about the bushing and such, Im looking for an actual metal piece that is welded on to the frame and where those bushings sits.

If youre talking about the bushing and such, Im looking for an actual metal piece that is welded on to the frame and where those bushings sits.

This is why your supposed to post pictures of the part your talking about.

When I replaced all my body mounts the mount by the catalytic converter had a big metal washer thing that none of the other mounts had. I am assuming this is what you are talking about because I also assumed it was there to protect the bushing from heat.

On my truck this piece was not welded in and I cleaned it with a wire wheel and re-installed with the new mount.

I am talking about this part.

20220322_101933.jpg

This is why your supposed to post pictures of the part your talking about.

When I replaced all my body mounts the mount by the catalytic converter had a big metal washer thing that none of the other mounts had. I am assuming this is what you are talking about because I also assumed it was there to protect the bushing from heat.

On my truck this piece was not welded in and I cleaned it with a wire wheel and re-installed with the new mount.

I am talking about this part.

View attachment 2959706

maybe this part: 52204-60061

maybe this part: 52204-60061

Yeah, that's the part I am talking about.

It sounds like the OP might have been talking about something else though.

He may be talking about the heat shield that came on the wye pipe on 95+ as shown on the factory exhaust near the "1" in a circle on the left side in the following screen shot.

This is not available as a separate part. It only comes with the factory exhaust.

1647967841980.png

Yep, I replaced mine a few months ago and the one up by the catalytic converter was the worst.

I used febest mounts but there is also a list out there somewhere with oem part #'s. I believe the oem part #'s that are still available are for the diesel 80 series. If you ask a dealer about a fzj80 they will say they are not available.

Maybe someone else can post the list of oem part #'s. Here is a list of the febest parts I used to change all the mounts.

View attachment 2955954

Goodluck

Oh yeah, search is your friend.....

Only the rear most cushions are NLA for the FZJ. These are available, and likely the same exact part, for the HDJ.

@baldilocks

That makes sense. My rear mount was the one that was toast after mobbing the sand dunes at sand hollow with my spare tire on the slee rear bumper locked in the open position.....

When I saw the rear ones were NLA I just decided to go febest all around.

The rears must be NLA because I am not the only one stupid enough (or buzzed enough) to take off down the trail with their swing out bumper open. 🤣

FYI, Passenger side #2 lower body mount by the cats is a different part than the driver side. It is unique in that it has a large metal ring that appears to be its own heat shield.

That's true, it is a different p/n, and has that large washer affair as a heat shield (the photo @leonard_nemoy showed), but is that thing really an effective heat shield?
I think some DIY thing could be easily cobbled together out of something cheap & easy to work with - like aluminum roof flashing & a layer of fiber gasket material as a heat conduction break - and shield much better. Otherwise, the bushings left/right themselves are completely identical.

The febest rears are identical left/right side, solid rubber inside the steel flange/shell, with a steel core, instead of the OEM that had hollows through the rubber, to allow slightly more movement, oriented on the opposite diagonal left vs right. An insignificant detail IMO.
The all the febest body/frame bushings are fine IMO - I just installed a full set. These things are static & don't move like suspension bushings, so the OEM quality thing is not so important.

Last edited:
I posted this a few months ago in another thread that would negate the need for this thread. The questions being discussed here were answered already. I’ll post the list of oem part numbers again. The rear most cushions are NLA for the FZJ but available for the HDJ.

This is a one day, one banana job.

676A11CE-7CE2-43EC-B73C-F88A732E4CAE.jpeg

Some pics… out of all the body/chassis mounts… this is the only one that looks like this.

Damn, I thought you were actually talking about the body mount, not the frame horn!!!!!!

I am not sure removing a heat shield would cause that kind of rust. Seems more likely that maybe some kind of chemical got on the frame in that location. Maybe the front tire ran over a bottle of something and sprayed the frame in that area.

If that were mine I would first try to find a parts rig and cut one off to weld on. If I couldn't find one than I would probably cut the bad one off and use it as a template to fabricobble something together.

Goodluck

Wow! That's just obscene! Like it's been sitting in the ocean for 40 years!
Is there even half the original steel thickness intact?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom