80 series Brake booster upgrade to HJ60 anyone done this exact thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
My HJ60's Brake booster is shot. so looking to replace with a dual diaphragm / better one.

Have been combing the forum threads for days, and wanted to know specifically if anyone out there had fitted an 80 series 4 bolt booster to an HJ60 diesel 2h?

Cheers Pete

Not quite the same but I've installed a FJ80 booster into a FJ60. Boost was an improvement over the FJ60 booster. FJ80 booster bolted up to the firewall and connected with the pedal without an issue. Vacuum port on the booster is in a different position but connecting to that was only a matter of rerouting the hose. I'm running a 4Runner master cylinder instead of the FJ60 master and it bolts up fine. The one thing to address is to make sure that the brake booster rod is adjusted properly.

Not quite the same but I've installed a FJ80 booster into a FJ60. Boost was an improvement over the FJ60 booster. FJ80 booster bolted up to the firewall and connected with the pedal without an issue. Vacuum port on the booster is in a different position but connecting to that was only a matter of rerouting the hose. I'm running a 4Runner master cylinder instead of the FJ60 master and it bolts up fine. The one thing to address is to make sure that the brake booster rod is adjusted properly.
Marginal or significant improvement?

Marginal or significant improvement?

No testing so my answer is subjective with improvement somewhere between quite noticeable to significant. Changing out the booster made a very noticeable difference. I thinTk the improvement is worth it and superior to all stock 60 series components. The changes made retain the Toyota quality.

I would add that maintaining the rear brakes is a very important part of good overall braking.

Thanks guys, think its worth a try, have bought a second hand 4 bolt booster from a 1992 - 98 diesel 80 series.
It's an inch thicker, will let you know how it goes.

A lot of guys have gone with the T100 booster. Big improvement

20170603_202402.jpg
20170606_092955.jpg

80 series booster comparison and installed. Unbolted MC and valve thing underneath, pulled it away. had to unbolt clutch booster etc at firewall to get old booster out / new in, slid 80 booster in. Was a REALLY tight fit but did not have to extend brake lines or bleed anything to bolt MC back on and hose plugged straight in.
Should say that the old booster was stuffed so cannot directly compare brake function of original hj60 single diaphragm booster to dual 80 series. However huge Improvement for old truck -Can now lock wheels at 80km - As far as I am concerned brakes are now good enough.

The 80 series petrol is the same that come in diesel engines? I want to put the 80 series booster and Mc from a petrol car to my LC hj61 12th diesel

thank you all for the suggestions information!

@Godwin I did install one on my fj62 but I have this issue with the front brake that they are active even though i didn’t press brake paddle. any thoughts?

thanks

Check to make sure that your brake booster push rod is not overly extended.

means i need to readjust only?

If you installed a new master cylinder and the booster push rod depth is incorrect this will affect the braking performance. Push rod too deep or too shallow will cause issues. This tool will allow you to properly set the push rod depth. OEM Brake Booster Gauge for Any Toyota - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/oem-brake-booster-gauge-for-any-toyota?variant=7040658636859. Less expensive alternatives are available. The procedure for checking and setting the push rod depth is simple but you will need to separate the two components to do so.

Have done a non ABS master and booster on a HJ60. Rebuild rear drum brakes and added 4 runner calipers on 60 knuckles/discs. When adjusted right it can throw you through the windshield.

If you installed a new master cylinder and the booster push rod depth is incorrect this will affect the braking performance. Push rod too deep or too shallow will cause issues. This tool will allow you to properly set the push rod depth. OEM Brake Booster Gauge for Any Toyota - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/oem-brake-booster-gauge-for-any-toyota?variant=7040658636859. Less expensive alternatives are available. The procedure for checking and setting the push rod depth is simple but you will need to separate the two components to do so.
thanks a lot, ill search for this tool locally 👍🏽

Have done a non ABS master and booster on a HJ60. Rebuild rear drum brakes and added 4 runner calipers on 60 knuckles/discs. When adjusted right it can throw you through the windshield.
Can you elaborate on the parts used, and fitment? Do you have the original clutch booster in place?

Thank you so much, done, and not it is an awsome brake!

Hi.
For the 4Runner master cylinder what kind or year or size MC ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom