80 or 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alaskacruiser said:
Thread hijack (sorry)- anybody know what kind of tire carrier that is? And how about the tire cover- is this all custom or JDM?

Looks like Kaymar OEM Tire Carrier with a JDM tire cover.

spartan said:
How tall are you? If you are over 6'2" get the 100. Six feet or under, get the 80.

I'm serious. The 80 series offer cramped quarters for larger people. The 100's are much larger.

I'm 6'4", 250 lbs. and I have no fitment problems in mine. I guess if you're tipping the scales at like 300 lbs., it may be a problem. However, if that's the case, you might need a bicycle more than a cruiser.:D :flipoff2: :D

:cheers:

I've got one of each :D The 80 is "mine" it is nice, comfortable, looks better, OEM lockers front and rear, solid axles, should do better off road. The 100 is "my wife's" it is nicer, a little bigger, more comfortable, doesn't quite look as good as an 80, no lockers, IFS front axle, better handling on the road. If I weren't planning to go offroad I would recommend the 100, you can find them in your price range, but it is very tough. If you get an 80 I doubt you will be disappointed in it either. It's a win-win situation for you :)

I love my 80, and by many peoples opinion on here its the crap of the bunch. High mileage, "bad engine", no factory lockers, no sun roof. Basically its a bare bones truck, but it still kicks some pretty serious arse in my opinion. Im also over 6 foot, and have no problems fitting in mine.

Drive em both, shop for a couple months and see what you find.

Junk said:
Heck, if you are going to buy a 100 then you may as well find a mini-van forum.

thats classic.............:D :D :D

going to look at a couple of 80s and a 100 later this week. i think i want an 80, but need a 100. maybe i should look at 4runners?

Romer said:
Larger people:confused: Have you seen Norcaldoug?

and Alvaro . ? :eek:

anycase I'm 6.2" 180 lbs ( ya I know nothing with both above .. heheheeh ) but I have no problems with the space in my 80.

I have both. For your needs, the 100 is a better choice. My 80 tows my boat without issue. However, with a 100, you won't know you are towing it.

THE 80 IS BETTER OFF-ROAD! The 100 is adequate off-road.

Satchmo said:
I love my 80 but i do wish the cockpit accomodated my 6'3" body better.
I have long legs

what, do you have, 5' legs and 1'3" of body? I'm an inch up on you and don't have problems. Maybe mine's special.

:cheers:

If you're looking for more towing prowess, the 100 will win out. If you're looking to build up for off-roading, the 80 can go alot bigger than the 100 as far as lift goes and the solid front axle can't be denied. The 80 can be taken to a whole nother level than the 100. There are trade-offs for everything though. On-road, the 100 wins out on handling and comfort.

If you don't plan on a large lift and tires (the 100's max out at 3" lift and 35's without major mods), the 100 can do a lot of things very well. The difficult part is your budget. The $16K limit changes things. The best you'll probably be able to do is 98-99 with 100K+ miles. You should be able to do better than that on an 80 mileage wise.

Both vehicles are fantastic. They are both very reliable and you'll be hard pressed to find anything else in the market that is better. Like others have already stated, you can't really go wrong with either.

firetruck41 said:
I've got one of each :D The 80 is "mine" it is nice, comfortable, looks better, OEM lockers front and rear, solid axles, should do better off road. The 100 is "my wife's" it is nicer, a little bigger, more comfortable, doesn't quite look as good as an 80, no lockers, IFS front axle, better handling on the road. If I weren't planning to go offroad I would recommend the 100, you can find them in your price range, but it is very tough. If you get an 80 I doubt you will be disappointed in it either. It's a win-win situation for you :)

Ya dude...definately can't take a 100 off-road. Better yet...get a 40 for max bouldering potential...dude.:flipoff2:...afterall that's what it's all about right :flipoff2:

spressomon said:
Ya dude...definately can't take a 100 off-road. Better yet...get a 40 for max bouldering potential...dude.:flipoff2:...afterall that's what it's all about right :flipoff2:
I think you misunderstand me, not saying the 100 can't go offroad, just saying if I had no plans to go offroad, I would get a 100, the main advantage of the 80 (as I see it) is off road, and those advantages are debateable.:cool:

firetruck41 said:
I think you misunderstand me, not saying the 100 can't go offroad, just saying if I had no plans to go offroad, I would get a 100, the main advantage of the 80 (as I see it) is off road, and those advantages are debateable.:cool:

Just revving this up a little...no offense taken. It seems, however, when this is discussed (as you know it has been discussed to death already) the debate centers around how each performs in an extreme off-road environment (like the Rubicon). And really if this is the ulitmate criteria for someone's decison...heck there are FAR better vehicles than either the 80 or 100 for this type of terrain and performance.

With that said I have never been in an 80. I have only had my 100 for a year. However all my buds that have travelled all over Northern Nevada with me in my 100 this past year were blown away at the where I took this thing. Plus performance on dirt/gravel/washboard/pavement is truly superior to front solid axle. If we could only figure out how to graft IFS portals to the front of the 100 or if someone would design replacement A-arms to make the 100's range of suspension travel up front better matched to the rear I think we'd have our cake too!

spressomon said:
And really if this is the ulitmate criteria for someone's decison...heck there are FAR better vehicles than either the 80 or 100 for this type of terrain and performance.

This is sort of true, though it depends on one's needs. For pure rockcrawling, a tubed buggy would be best, with a support rig to carry all the other "stuff." But those of us who are not professionals have to carry own recovery gear, camping gear, food, firewood, extra fuel, extra water, etc. etc. Sometimes for more than one person. Also, some of us like to wheel in leather-covered comfort with the A/C blowing and the CD/MP3 player blasting away. But we also want bulletproof reliability, freight-train-like durability, and massive suspension articulation.

For those criteria, I can't think of many vehicles that can top an 80.

My $0.02,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom