80/20 with Stock Roof Rack (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should be able to bolt a standard fold out roof top tent to the 80/20 cross bars. I made some cross bars with 1x2 tube to mount a tent.

I wanted it as low as possible with the factory rack. I ended up mounting the rack to the tent off the vehicle. It wouldn't be impossible to install / remove tent from cross bars on the car, but there's not a lot of clearance to work with to access under the cross bar.

IMG_5612.jpg
IMG_5873.JPG
IMG_5883.JPG
IMG_5884.JPG

I measured my needs to be right around 44" as well, like OP stated (1998 here). I'm thinking 44" and sanding down to fit makes a lot of sense. Anyone have more input before I pull the trigger?
44” minus 1mm. So, 1116mm. They will cut it to that.

@WoodyCreature nice work! This is exactly what I wanted to do with the extra extrusions I use at work, except I'm using Bosch Rexroth brand.

They don't have black anodize damnit. Gonna have to use them as is, paint black or bite the bullet and buy 8020. I used to use 8020 at my last job and like them better than the Bosch. 8020 got more variety in their catalog and cheaper overall.

Happy to report that Frunt Runner accessories will mount up with 8020 15-series profiles!
72981D2B-F47E-491C-AF6E-BEF5C01E9992.jpeg

I'm thinking about building a carrier box out of wood then weather treating it to store crap on top, has anyone every just rest the box on top of the roof itself, not the crossbars, then use the rack's sidebars to secure it? i'm trying to keep this as low profile as possible to cut down wind and not disturb MPG too much.

I'm thinking about building a carrier box out of wood then weather treating it to store crap on top, has anyone every just rest the box on top of the roof itself, not the crossbars, then use the rack's sidebars to secure it? i'm trying to keep this as low profile as possible to cut down wind and not disturb MPG too much.

I don't see why not. The roof has stick on protectors. I might get some robust foam to lay down to give the box some bite so it can be cinched down tight.

I don't see why not. The roof has stick on protectors. I might get some robust foam to lay down to give the box some bite so it can be cinched down tight.

Yeah i dont like sticking a box on top of the cross bars because it's just too high up and the wind passing underneath will act as a sail. I'm going to build my own low profile box that sits 6" above the roof, the sides will be secured to the rack and the bottom will just rest ontop of the roof itself. Won't have anything heavy in there, probably just for tow straps, cooking utensils, and accessories or what not.

Yeah i dont like sticking a box on top of the cross bars because it's just too high up and the wind passing underneath will act as a sail. I'm going to build my own low profile box that sits 6" above the roof, the sides will be secured to the rack and the bottom will just rest ontop of the roof itself. Won't have anything heavy in there, probably just for tow straps, cooking utensils, and accessories or what not.
I’m gonna be honest with ya. That sounds like a terrible idea. From aesthetics to safety.

I’m gonna be honest with ya. That sounds like a terrible idea. From aesthetics to safety.

Maybe, but i'll build it and see how it looks, and take it on a test run on the freeway and see if it falls off or not.

Put series 10 on my 2005 lx 470. I don’t plan putting much up top so I opted the series 10 and did just standard bracket brackets. Length was 44 1/4”. Purchased from tnutz. I’m also happy to report that I only needed to remove the rear roof rack caps and slide the oem cross bars off. I like the flexibility of the slots. No noise yet.

2E679224-1C10-4AEB-8483-F1F8C7F44407.jpeg

A068BC87-C8DB-4B44-B555-9A9B7AB792CD.jpeg

Put series 10 on my 2005 lx 470. I don’t plan putting much up top so I opted the series 10 and did just standard bracket brackets. Length was 44 1/4”. Purchased from tnutz. I’m also happy to report that I only needed to remove the rear roof rack caps and slide the oem cross bars off. I like the flexibility of the slots. No noise yet.

View attachment 1980761

View attachment 1980762

44 1/4”

Snug fit? Just right?

05 LC

Did 1116 mm on 5 different cross bars. All seemed to be the same fit, 1 mm gap. That’s 44” minus 1’ish mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom