78 FJ45 demo pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I to am involved in a simular project but it seems that you are moveing at a much faster pace then I. When I start getting lazy I will look and see how far you have gone. Keep up the good work!

What I've been up to lately.....

Well, I got a Cruiser so the wife got some new flooring. I'm sure all of you know how that works. Before the flooring could be done, there was a useless rock wall and some old tile flooring that had to go. I've been bustin rock like a convict. Man, I am glad that is over and I'm glad I don't do that for a living.
Feb9-2005 001 (Small).jpg
Feb9-2005 004 (Small).jpg
Feb9-2005 005 (Small).jpg

New puppy

Got the flooring in just in time for the new puppy, which doesn't have a name yet. I still need to install the quarter round and a few finishing touches, but the worst of it is over. Puppy kept me busy all weekend and the cold/wet weather kept me out of the garage.
Feb9-2005 009 (Small).jpg
Feb9-2005 030 (Small).jpg
Feb9-2005 048 (Small).jpg

More media blasting

We had some slack time at work last week, so I got my employee to do some media blasting for me. I know that's cheating but I've done my share of blasting in the past and he needed something to do. The aprons are completely rust free, but have some cracks in the top rear corners that will need to be fixed. The bottom of the bib is pretty well rusted out, but I think it should be repairable. I remember seeing a thread on here about repairing a rusted out bib like this and it should come in handy when I'm ready.
Feb20-2005 015 (Small).jpg
Feb20-2005 022 (Small).jpg
Feb20-2005 021 (Small).jpg

Floors look good also. :)

Is that actual hard wood or some other sort of laminate?

Matt

Matt, thanks for the link. That should help when the time comes.

The flooring is a laminate. I would love to have real wood but I don't think it would hold up as well to the indoor dogs. Practicality is the name of the game.

I think we will just call him puppy for a couple of more days and let his personality guide us on a good name. If he turns out anything like his parents (Duke and Lotto), he should make a heck of a hunting dog one of these days. http://www.duritevizslas.com/

Wow. My tub is much worse off than yours. You should be happy how "rust free" your body is.

Keep the pics going.

Sort of piddled around and cleaned up around the garage some last night. I chipped away the black flooring protector stuff on the passenger side. Sure seems like I've been using a hammer and chisel alot lately. I was thinking that stuff was going to be gooey and messy to remove but it was actually very brittle and broke out in chunks. I found a couple of new small rust spots that I hadn't seen before, but they are not bad at all.

The paint under the flooring protector is sort of Dune Beige. Would that be the original color of this truck, or just factory primer? How can I tell what the original color was? I see signs of at least 4 different paint colors: Dune Beige, Red, Dark Green and White.

Marvin
Feb21-2005 001 (Small).jpg
Feb21-2005 005 (Small).jpg
Feb21-2005 004 (Small).jpg

89s rule said:
sweet now a pick-up build I wanna tag along :bounce:
Looking good!

89s - I am with you!

Keep going Rhino.

Rhinoliner said:
How can I tell what the original color was? I see signs of at least 4 different paint colors: Dune Beige, Red, Dark Green and White.

Marvin

Is there a VIN plate on the firewall. IIRC the code should be there.

Brian

This afternoon I realized I had a picture of the VIN plate and I did a little research. It is code 309 Freeborn Red, so I guess the beige is some sort of factory primer coat.

Now I have to decide if I will go with Freeborn Red for originality sake, or paint it a different color that I like better. I know that keeping it the original color will ultimately make it's resale value higher if I ever decide to sell it.

These pictures show the worst of my rust issues. The bottom half of the left inner rocker panel is basically gone as well as the bottom of the left door post. I am hoping to acquire a complete door post with inner and outer rocker panels attached from a donor FJ40. I think I have one located but am still waiting to hear back from the gentleman.
Feb22-2005 009 (Small).jpg
Feb22-2005 014 (Small).jpg
Feb22-2005 012 (Small).jpg

It has been a little while since I posted any progress pictures because I haven't made a whole lot of progress lately. But, I have made a little.........

If any of you don't have one of those Harbor Freight battery operated fly swatters like you can see hanging on the wall in the background, you should consider getting one. They are a blast and mosquito season is just around the corner, at least where I live.
Mar02-2005 025 (Small).jpg
Mar02-2005 029 (Small).jpg

Sheet metal repair sections

Most of the rusted areas on my truck are on flat surfaces that can be cut out more or less in the shape of a rectangle. Most of those cut outs will also have a lip on them and a single 90 degree bend. I love buying new tools and learning how to use them. I don't have a sheet metal brake, but I wasn't convinced that this project could justify buying one. Therefore, I did a little checking around and I'm glad I did. I made 3 diminsional measurements of most of the sections I will need and got a quote from a local sheet metal shop. The total for all 9 pieces was $54.68 including materials, labor and tax. I thought that sounded like a bargain. The metal is 18 guage mild steel. He has a 10 foot long sheet metal brake in his shop, and I plan to talk to him some more about possible bed floor solutions.
Mar02-2005 034 (Small).jpg
Mar02-2005 035 (Small).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom