78 fj40; Help a crossroads in my build... (1 Viewer)

What helps me not loose vehicle value and get EFI for long term value?

• Option #1) 2fe (stroker)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Option #2) 3fe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option #3) Keep what I have and sell what I just bought

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jason brewer

Jasonbrew
Threads
Hello friends, great forum here thank you for all the wisdom and info from the past contributors.

I don't think my question is new, but more of a those of you were here what did you do. I can tend to really focus on things that drive me batty. this is one.

THE DEAL: I am in the middle of nut and bolt (literally) resto. I just rebuilt top and bottom the original 78 2f (domed piston) engine. New valves, new everything. Turned crank, turned cam. $1100 machine shop bill. I have a weber 38, MSD coil, gallery distributor, header, ect..... Perfect setup.

But I knew that once I got it going I would love to have the 3fe or diesel conversion. My motive isn't really an all stock resto, but an all toyota driver that is a really nice mostly stock rig. Im not in my aggressive 4x4 days anymore, this would be a 2-3 time a week driver and then some utility on some land. The EFI is def a comfort choice for me, I know the weber is good, but I'm tired of messing with carbs. Im a tinkerer and it always gets worse.

Yesterday I purchased a complete 3fe (needs a coil + igniter; hit me up if you have one) that has a cracked block from a water freeze. It came with a good block, but feels like would need to be machined.

THE QUESTION: For those of you who have been here what do you think & WHY. I have read endless threads on here. I am trying to determine my least expensive vs best case scenario and I simply do not know what the market value on this stuff is. Option #1) A 2fe (stroker) I would need to tear down my new motor and replace the domed pistons (which I didn't know yesterday). Is the 2fe that much better than the 3fe? I could part out some stuff like the 2f head, carb, dust, 3fe blocks. Option #2) Part out my Original 2f (sad) and sell the short block complete. How much is an all new rebuilt 2 worth? Then rebuild the 3fe. It already has the power steering pump and AC compressor which I will need.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

-jb

My 2c is a 2FE, however do you need to comply with any emission laws which is what kills the 3FE. 2FE is usually far better as most remove the EGR system. A 3FE with EGR removed would be for me an un known quantity and possibly as good an option as a 2FE if on a budget.
At the end of the day 2FE v 3FE the 2FE has more cc and better low down torque. Emission laws here in Australia would restrict me from removing EGR from a 3FE however I can add EFI to a 2F no issue. So again some outside influences can come in to play.

So your trying to do a nut and bolt restoration and want maximum value. In that case you should install the rebuilt original motor, original carb, exhaust manifold, and ignition system and oem smog equipment. A Weber and msd setup will reduce the value. A2fe or 3fe will also reduce its value over stock. That's what the 80k 40s seem to have-all totally original. So if u want to modify the motor u have to be comfortable that the value will not be as much as a all original. As far as how much value u will loose, that's really hard to determine I think.

Rebuilt an early 2F with late pistons, late head, 3F manifolds and carb (could fill thread with the actual 'specs') and would run for pinks againt any I6 or V8.....and it's in a fat ass Pig. Has a ton more ass than even the HZT's and, since balanced, it's nearly as smooth as my wife's 1UR. Period correct block, remains (not that the specific Pig is worth 1/100th of 'invested').

Obvious benefits to FE, but unnecessary.

I've been running a 3fe in my truck for a few years, it's my daily driver. I removed the smog pump and egr and advanced the base timing. I have about 10k miles on it now. The only VSV left is for the fuel pressure regulator. Very reliable except for the distributor failure but that was my own fault for not installing the vent tubes on the cap. I agree most value is the original setup but the EFI is nice, not having to fiddle with carb and points unless you like to do that. If I had a late 2F block I think A 2FE would have been my choice but I didn't and found a reasonable priced complete 3FE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom