78 fj intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, you're probably right, I didn't catch that it was running.

I do appreciate the input, amazing how easy it is to stare at a project and overlook somethings so simple, only to have someone point it out in a minute!

Might want to make a quick check for possible dented/pinched brake lines. Drums are supposed to have a bit of residual pressure to keep the shoes close to the drums, but if your wheel cylinders are new (but sticking still) then it's possibly somewhere else in the system. Or you got a bad wheel cylinder.

Thanks hack, I have pretty much ruled out the breaks, it only drags hard while in gear, as in while driving if you push in the clutch it acts as if breaks are on, only in gear, not in neutral and much worse in reverse.

Have you dared to drain the transmission and transfer case fluids? Or the diffs? Lots of possible surprises just waiting to be discovered. I'd also check the driveshaft joints and Birfs.

BTW: Nice find on a good looking survivor 40!

So far I have just changed trans fluid, but everything feels good when up in the air and while pushing it around in neutral. It seems this cruiser was redone sometime around the 10 years ago it was parked. The story I got was the gentleman I purchased it from got it in NY drove it to south jersey and parked it there in 2007 or 8. The next time it moved is when he decided to sell it. most of the fluids I've checked are clean just old. You can tell many parts were new before it sat. It is very solid for the NJ, NY, PA area. it will get new rockers, rear quarters and doors fixed and new fenders.

Small update. Trans seems to be losening up some as it gets moved around as well as the syncros working better. New slave is in and it is running/ stopping much better, tore apart the heating ducts to find a giant mud wasp nest that was disabling the squirrel cage for the fan. On top of those small accomplishments some small misc parts are off and sandblasted in prep for powder coating. Everything that will fit in my small oven will get coated. Hopefully I can get a bigger oven!

IMG_0277.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom