'76 Soft Top bows help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchased soft top bow frame from Real Steel Cruiser Parts and had found that style not be not compatible with my '76 FJ40. As some older threads in this forum suggest, there are two separate soft top bow sets available...one for earlier model FJ40's ('63-'74) and one for later models ('75 and up). The A pillar is what is in question here I believe. The '76 doors do not align to the older A pillars as the '76 doors bend inward a little...the older A pillars are straight. My doors do not shut flush and of course, that is a problem :(. I will eventually sell the soft top bow kit for a deal shortly but desperately trying to track down the right 'late model' soft top bow kit with the inward bent A pillar. Any help is appreciated ie. vendor suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Other option is see if you can't locate a set of factory soft doors. Believe all those fit the straight B pillar. Soft doors and quick removal hinges are pretty nice. Remove the pin from the door limiter, swing open and lift.

As for a vendor think those that were coming from Pakistan had a angled B pillar. Most markets around the world had hard doors on the soft top so from the mid sixties when the door changed the B pillar was angled to match the hard doors.

Did you call Real Steel to see if they make the correct b-pillar bow?

I believe I read somewhere on here you can cut an inch out of the bows were they join at the top and that will do the trick. I have the same issue with my 76 and thats what I plan to do

I just went to thier website, it looks like they are selling the business.

You can't make money fabricating bows. Even if you start with hard top parts, it takes about 25 hours of work, so you would have to sell it for $2000 to make a decent return on your labor.

Your best bet would be outside the US if looking for a vendor making this style. I know Ehsan did offer them but I have zero clue if he's still even around.

Old thread revival, Does anyone have a good write up on how to angle the Real Steel B pillars to match the later style doors?

I have searched and have had no luck.

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom