75 engine conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

So here’s an update on my 75 series conversion. As some of you know, I’m dropping a 2UZ into it. So far, it’s going well... basically it fits!

The first issue, not thought about, is the radiator.. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what will fit, which would suit a 2UZ, that isnt custom. Also, for the people playing at home, I have also changed the manual trans to auto, so will need a cooler as well.

Cheers!
2DBF9835-B4AF-4B57-8A5E-9DCC8ABCC323.jpeg
Se

What's wrong with the old radiator you can have it cleaned and the inlet and outlet swapped around if that's the problem. I would run a aftermarket cooler for the auto.

What's wrong with the old radiator you can have it cleaned and the inlet and outlet swapped around if that's the problem. I would run a aftermarket cooler for the auto.
So the old radiator is not big big enough... the 2H cooling system is about 10L, and the 2UZ is about 14 litres. We’re going from diesel to petrol, and going from 6 to 8 cylinders.... so as I understand it ( and I am no f$&krn expert, complete newbie) I need to upgrade the cooling. I just don’t know what direction to go in 🤷🏻‍♂️

Have a custom rad made using the 75 mounts, basically they will make the rad taller so it will hang down lower, and have more capacity.

I'd go all aluminum

my understanding is that the late model HZ and HD 70 series radiators are longer at the bottom. I used a radiator company in Australia that builds custom radiators for racing applications. You tell them what vehicle it is for and they will send you a basic drawing and you add every detail you want, don't forget to add a radiator drain, I forgot to add this and they didn't install one. I think the company was PWR (?) it's in my build thread AK HJ-75.

Nice swap! That looks like a VVTI 2UZ? Are you using the A750F with it? That will be a nice combo. I've thought of doing the same for my Prado on a few occasions now.

@coldtaco is right, there is a taller HD radiator part number for the 70 series. That is probably your best bet. One of the downsides of the 70 series IMO is the cramped radiator area. It's even worse in the Prado with a frame cross member blocking the bottom of the radiator.

Here is a thread with pictures of the HD radiator. Heavy duty radiator for 7series found! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/heavy-duty-radiator-for-7series-found.838448/

old_vs_new-jpg.1030300

Nice swap! That looks like a VVTI 2UZ? Are you using the A750F with it? That will be a nice combo. I've thought of doing the same for my Prado on a few occasions now.

@coldtaco is right, there is a taller HD radiator part number for the 70 series. That is probably your best bet. One of the downsides of the 70 series IMO is the cramped radiator area. It's even worse in the Prado with a frame cross member blocking the bottom of the radiator.

Here is a thread with pictures of the HD radiator. Heavy duty radiator for 7series found! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/heavy-duty-radiator-for-7series-found.838448/

old_vs_new-jpg.1030300
Thanks! Yes it is a 2UZ with the auto trans as well. Thanks for heads up, I will have a look at the taller rad👍

my understanding is that the late model HZ and HD 70 series radiators are longer at the bottom. I used a radiator company in Australia that builds custom radiators for racing applications. You tell them what vehicle it is for and they will send you a basic drawing and you add every detail you want, don't forget to add a radiator drain, I forgot to add this and they didn't install one. I think the company was PWR (?) it's in my build thread AK HJ-75.
Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom