SOLD ‘73 FJ55 tailgate window motor pinion gear needed (1 Viewer)

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
My buddy Don stopped by this past Saturday and dropped off a new OEM gear; thanks bud.
I took it to the machine shop yesterday. We’re going to explore two options; machined from brass and 3-D printed utilizing a material similar to carbon fiber. I’m no e pert when it comes to 3-D printing but my Buffy who runs the machine shop knows quite a bit about it and owns some pretty cool equipment.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

This repair works because it was a clean break. A new one would be a much better option. This gear is the two woodruff key type.

20201121_121915.jpg

20201121_124412.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the update on the gear process. I did the above fix yesterday and it worked great. A new gear would be awesome tho!

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
So correct me if I’m wrong, but there are two versions of the gear; the way it’s coupled to the shaft is either a Double-D or a Double-Woodruff-key.
Right?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Just be sure to check your actual gear type. Many of us find the previous owner swapped out the rear window mechanism for a different year and thus a different gear type.

NotTheMamma

SILVER Star
Not sure how to get in line for a brass gear myself?

Meantime I guess I’ll have to disassemble to determine which gear I need. Pretty sure mine is OE but it’s a 1976 and seems that’s about when they switched from old to new gear? Else maybe I don’t really know what I’m talking about :)

im also needing the rear window lock/key assembly since I don’t have a key which fits the combo lock and rear window activation switch.

many thanks...

Any update on this??
I’ve needed one for the past year & half...
Would love to put my window down!!
At this time I’m willing to even pay a nice price..
Thanks Again for making this a reality!

Has anyone looked into 3D printing these (plastic or metal)? Maybe we can get a list of Mudders that would be interested and determine if it would be financially feasible. @Pioneer43, what's the condition of your gear? Is it serviceable?

Has anyone looked into 3D printing these (plastic or metal)? Maybe we can get a list of Mudders that would be interested and determine if it would be financially feasible. @Pioneer43, what's the condition of your gear? Is it serviceable?
@orangefj45, Georg, had I spent more time to actually read this thread from start to finish I would have known that you are on this already. We are all excited to see what you come up with, thanks

Need a gear as well, actually I'd take two when they are availalbe. For now I guess I'll put it back together and hope it lasts for a while longer.

Thanks for working this @orangefj45

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom