72 on eBay has false advertising (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55

This is my old pig. I have no issues with folks selling or flipping but when false advertising is done, it irks me.

So what's false?

1- it never lived on a ranch in central Texas. I bought it from the original owner who lived in Austin proper. He owned it for 40 years, I had it for 5. And I don't live on a ranch.

2- it has rust. The rear upper roof had some bad rot, but was fixed by the new owner between feb and march. However there is roof rot along the sides of the roof. Is it bad? No but it's there.

Owner 3, who lives near the OK/TX border, sold it on April.

I pinged the eBay seller about this and he was a little defensive and said he was "selling for a friend".

Anyway it looks nice but again, can't stand false advertising. So buyer beware....

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out! I've seen one of my builds resold with an outrageous story line... I called and acted interested,it just got deeper.

And just for historical reference, here's the description posted.

Up for auction is a rare 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 in excellent original stock condition. This vintage 4x4 runs and drives excellent, has great original patina, and has very low original miles. Truck spent most of it's life on a ranch in central Texas. Truck has some bumps and bruises from the years, but nothing major. There is a spot on the hood that has been repaired, and there are small dents in the rear quarter and one ding on the driver side front fender near the driver door. There are no rust issues on the truck. Disc brakes have been added in the front and this adds more safety and responsiveness to the braking system. All lights and electrical switches are in good working condition. Windows and doors all function well. Original glass is in very good shape with only one ding in the windshield. Rear electric glass motor still works. New OEM quality seats, new headliner, and factory Toyota mats. New BFG mud terrain 33x10.50s and new stock wheels and hubcaps. New tie rods and steering components. Just finished painting roof the original blue, starting to restore the whole truck. Needs nothing to enjoy and very little to have a full showroom restoration. This is a daily driver truck ready to enjoy. F155 L6 Engine 3 speed floor shift Disc brake front end 4x4 works great New Tires and OEM wheels/hubcaps New seats upholstery New headliner New tie rods/linkage

I click on it and just eBay comes up. No landcruiser

Try this, 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 | eBay

I would want to redo the head liner. Not the best install from this photo.
s-l1600.jpg

Something funky is going on with the window rubber.
s-l1600.jpg

Is this the 1 with a.c. unit on roof?

Yes owner 3 removed it. Hence the reason why the roof is painted a non-matchig color and has a terrible headliner. I removed the headliner.

Still looks like a solid pig other than the head liner and front windshield rubber (that honestly could just be the way I’m looking at the photos)

@bparker not asking what the reserve is but do you mind giving us an approximate value you are putting on this one?

This is my neighbor's rig I'm listing for. In no way am I trying to false advertise anything and my personal opinion is that this arcteryx guy is irked because he wishes his old pig is his now pig. Of course when someone calls me a liar, it does warrant some defensiveness. So he saw a pig that he owned once on eBay, that has had hours of time and thousands invested to make a daily driver and look good and it gives him reason to go to these lengths to try and make a case for false advertisement? I'm sure it looked a little worse when he owned it. I've driven this truck and I've helped him do the new work that's been done. This truck doesn't have any rust underneath and the top was redone and patched where someone installed a rooof AC and it looks great. The door seals and all the weatherstripping is original. This truck is solid, and someone will buy it and love it whether this guy owned it once or not or thinks he knows it better than the last two guys. The reserve is low and he has other projects that he needs the money for. The current owner was told from the man he purchased from (who I assume bought it from the cruiser yard author here) that it was original low miles and came from central Texas originally. Just want you to know I've owned and sold many 40s and 55s and I stand behind this one.

This is my neighbor's rig I'm listing for. In no way am I trying to false advertise anything and my personal opinion is that this arcteryx guy is irked because he wishes his old pig is his now pig. Of course when someone calls me a liar, it does warrant some defensiveness. So he saw a pig that he owned once on eBay, that has had hours of time and thousands invested to make a daily driver and look good and it gives him reason to go to these lengths to try and make a case for false advertisement? I'm sure it looked a little worse when he owned it. I've driven this truck and I've helped him do the new work that's been done. This truck doesn't have any rust underneath and the top was redone and patched where someone installed a rooof AC and it looks great. The door seals and all the weatherstripping is original. This truck is solid, and someone will buy it and love it whether this guy owned it once or not or thinks he knows it better than the last two guys. The reserve is low and he has other projects that he needs the money for. The current owner was told from the man he purchased from (who I assume bought it from the cruiser yard author here) that it was original low miles and came from central Texas originally. Just want you to know I've owned and sold many 40s and 55s and I stand behind this one.

Beau- First I am not trying to start anything but you are being defensive now as you were when I contacted you this am via eBay and pointed these things out. Had you not been defensive and tell me to bid or not, I probably wouldn't have posted this. Why not say, oh thanks I'll update the ad?

Second, I don't want it back, I sold it for a reason. And I really have no desire to own a pig again.

As I stated, there's nothing wrong with selling/flipping something but when the info presented is flawed, someone should point that out.

Regardless of what you say, the ad has false information. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm pointing out facts that no one else is in a position to to state, frankly because they are not the PO. The current ad makes it sound like a rust free specimen with a good story living on a TX ranch it's entire life but that's not the truth.

Search the thread I started for Elsie, that will give you lots of info on what was done and it's condition. In fact it was my semi-DD for awhile up until 2014. And I don't believe that you, your neighbor or Mike in Denison know more in 5 months than my 5 years. Example- plug in the speedo cable, the odo hasn't changed since ownership. I think I drove it 15 miles like that before I let it sit. Meant to plug it back in but forgot.

It DOES have rust on the roof @reevesci looked at it when I was considering fixing it by him in 2013. We pushed on the sides of it and you could hear the rust crackling underneath. He found this as he's a good body guy. I didn't fix it because he said it was going to be a costly repair, like 8-10k. The only way to fix it is to cut the roof out at the welds and replace it with a new rust free roof. But that isn't what y'all did.

That said, it is nicer than most out there. It will sell but be honest about it. GLWS

Beau- First I am not trying to start anything but you are being defensive now as you were when I contacted you this am via eBay and pointed these things out. Had you not been defensive and tell me to bid or not, I probably wouldn't have posted this. Why not say, oh thanks I'll update the ad?

Second, I don't want it back, I sold it for a reason. And I really have no desire to own a pig again.

As I stated, there's nothing wrong with selling/flipping something but when the info presented is flawed, someone should point that out.

Regardless of what you say, the ad has false information. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm pointing out facts that no one else is in a position to to state, frankly because they are not the PO. The current ad makes it sound like a rust free specimen with a good story living on a TX ranch it's entire life but that's not the truth.

Search the thread I started for Elsie, that will give you lots of info on what was done and it's condition. In fact it was my semi-DD for awhile up until 2014. And I don't believe that you, your neighbor or Mike in Denison know more in 5 months than my 5 years. Example- plug in the speedo cable, the odo hasn't changed since ownership. I think I drove it 15 miles like that before I let it sit. Meant to plug it back in but forgot.

It DOES have rust on the roof @reevesci looked at it when I was considering fixing it by him in 2013. We pushed on the sides of it and you could hear the rust crackling underneath. He found this as he's a good body guy. I didn't fix it because he said it was going to be a costly repair, like 8-10k. The only way to fix it is to cut the roof out at the welds and replace it with a new rust free roof. But that isn't what y'all did.

That said, it is nicer than most out there. It will sell but be honest about it. GLWS

All,

I was asked to evaluate and quote a repair on this piggies roof and gutters a few years back for @arcteryx . The gutter line was weak and the rust was either through the paint or bubbled and about to break through. As he states you could hear the "crunch" when the metal was pushed on. I can not speak to the head liner as I honestly didn't pay attention to it. BUT, if he says its the same head liner... I can say the rust repair was NOT properly addressed as I would or any decent shop would have removed the liner to cut and replace bad metal....

I have dealt with @arcteryx for years and he is one of the few that you can take his word to the bank with........... period.

Unless the new seller can produce pics of the proper rust repair procedures.... IMO, it is a lipstick job at best and I would advise against the buy for the price wanted.....

J

I would advise against ever paying someone $8-10k to repair a roof, when in fact you could purchase this whole truck for around the same price with a professional roof repair (look at the photos it's no bs job)

I can provide before and after roof repair photos for anyone interested in BUYING this 55

I'm sorry if I offended you with my eBay reply telling you to either bid or not. I know you are trying to let everyone know that you owned it before and could have created a far superior sales ad.

I'm going to continue with my ad because I trust my friend and neighbor, and what I heard the previous owner say in person when he sold it.

It's been to long since I quoted the work for @arcteryx... to verify the exact amount. But I can tell you I do remember a number of around 60 hours to just cut, replace, weld, smooth, blend and straighten the roof and pillars. Then on top of that to finish up with polyester, epoxy, block out, finish sand and BC/CC.

I could care less about before and after pics, I'd want to see the actual metal removal and metal replacement pics. Otherwise from my 20+ years of body experience tells me you will see the rust again. I've seen some of the best rust cover up jobs in history and while they were from "professional" shops... they all end with the same result.... rust coming through after a few months or years.

Hopefully this isn't the case here. I hate to see corners cut on these classics. It always cost twice as much for someone to redo a lipstick bondo job with rust coming through.

GL with the sale.

J

Gents, this is my first picture of Elsie when my neighbor two doors down invited me to see her. He'd spoken to me about the truck knowing that I had a 40. To my knowledge she sat exposed to weather for close to 20 years. I knew of the truck for 3-4 years before I was given the chance to see her.

I was the one who pulled her from the field and ultimately got her started for the first time in decades. She needed work and the roof was going to be the biggest challenge. I haven't looked to see who did what with her, she's clearly seen some well deserved time and attention. I'm staying out of the fray, just thought I'd add what I know about this truck. Wish I'd had the space to keep her after the rescue.

PC030005.JPG

PC030011.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom