70 series models help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please dont flame me as I promise I have researched for a week now trying to find more information. I just sold my 95 80 series and am looking at JDM imports of the 70 series. I keep seeing the KZJ78's coming up for decent prices with lower mileage and while I know that is a good engine with the 1kz-te, I cannot find much on what axles are under them. They are solid and appear to be maybe a rear 8" toyota? I tend to over research and have everything lined up that i would want to do to one including gears and lockers. Is there major differences between a kzj78 and an HZJ77 aside from the engines? Any help is greatly appreciated and if there is a thread I have missed that lists all the 70 series models, i will gladly read it.

The major difference between KZJ78 and HZJ77

KZJ78
Engine: 1KZTE
Coil sprung suspension
Most seem to be automatic but some are manual.
Considered "light duty"

HZJ77
Engine: 1HZ
Leaf sprung suspension
Seems to be an even mix of automatics and manuals.
Considered "heavy duty"

Some minor differences:
The newer KZJ78 have a different and more rounded dash.
The KZJ78 has a different front end style compared to the HZJ77.
KZJ78 offers third row seating. HZJ77 never had third row seating from the factory.

That helps a ton. What axles are under the KXJ78's? Are they similar to 80 series axles?

I think they are identical to the 80 axles with some differences of course. Someone else needs to chime in on that.

Front diff is basically the same 8” high pinion as the 80, rear diff is an 8” like the 4Runner/Pickup. Lockers are readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom