70 Series Lower Windshield Frame Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning folks,

I am getting a local sheet metal fabrication shop to make up a 2pc replacement section for my lower windshield frame on my 1989 BJ74. Mine is completely rusted out, but what's interesting is that just past the obvious rust everything still looks OEM! So, it's worth replacing the lower section as spending $699 USD for an entirely new frame simply isn't worth it in my opinion.

The new sections will consist of one "Z" shaped piece, except it will be a backwards "Z" in that the the top and bottom will be facing away from each other and not towards each other. This piece could be used as a stand alone replacement if you still have a solid bottom lip (the "J" section which curls over from the outer panel and up into the inner side).

The second section will be a "J" style with an offset on the outer edge so that you can cut the outer section at about 1" and then tuck this new piece in behind that for a good seam, then wrap the "J" under the bottom frame to create both strength and a good seal.

There will be some necessary fine tuning on the end where drain holes exist and the frame wraps back into itself, but that can be done easily with basic shop tools.

I do NOT yet have an estimate on price, except that this shop has been very reasonable with previous custom pieces. If I had to make an educated guess, it will be less than $200 ea., which I feel would be worth it because if I attempt to create the 1" curve required to keep the shape of the windshield it's going to take me multiple attempts and probably go together like my first model car!

Please let me know if you would be interested in potentially purchasing one of these as I assume it will get cheaper once the first prototype is made to fit and he can punch out more based on that.

I have not put this in the "70's section" as of yet because I'm not interested in being a middle-man to North America at this point. I'll keep this Island and maybe BC wide for now and I'll see what the interest level is.

Good luck, be curious to see how it turns out. Lucky to have a good fab guy close at hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom