60 series front hubs on a 40 series axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was under the impression that only Longfields needed the 40 knuckle ground for clearance, but the 60 Birf did not. To be clear, from what I'm reading above that's not the case?

I'm not sure where and exactly how much clearance to grind. Where, exactly, is the interference?

You don't grind the knuckle, you grind the opening of the FJ40's axle housing to accommodate the birf. And you have to grind for both the longfields and FJ60/62 birfs.

You don't grind the knuckle, you grind the opening of the FJ40's axle housing to accommodate the birf. And you have to grind for both the longfields and FJ60/62 birfs.

And late model ('81-'84) FJ40 Birfs!

Awesome. Those photos and text really explained it well.

Is there any big advantage on a 40 switching to Longfields or will the 60 parts suffice? I should also mention that I'm considering putting a lunchbox locker on the front axle, one of the less aggressive ones since I don't have power steering.

And, do you have more updates? My vacuum booster needs rebuilding, and I'm wondering what you did for your booster and master cylinder?

Awesome. Those photos and text really explained it well.

Is there any big advantage on a 40 switching to Longfields or will the 60 parts suffice? I should also mention that I'm considering putting a lunchbox locker on the front axle, one of the less aggressive ones since I don't have power steering.

And, do you have more updates? My vacuum booster needs rebuilding, and I'm wondering what you did for your booster and master cylinder?

The big advantage to Longfields is not breaking a birf and avoiding field repairs.

I can't recommend a locker up front, especially a lunchbox style, in the front without power steering. Lockers put A LOT of stress on birfs; So, if you are dead set on a lunchbox style locker, you'd want longfields, and 22 inch pythons. Do you already have a locker in the rear?

Unfortunately, the best locker for the front of a 40 that is a part time wheeler is a selectable locker like an ARB airlocker, which is also the most expensive. I will argue there are more times where you will appreciate the open front for steering than the grip of the locked front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom