6/1972 FJ40 Exhaust Manifold Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am working on my June 72 FJ40, and am making slow steps to getting it back into running shape.

The exhaust manifold is incredibly rusty, and I am concerned the heat riser may not be working due to the rust. I feel like it would need a month long soak in PB blaster before it would turn by hand. Though, I will be honest, I don't know if it even turns by hand or if it is solely heat. I am also not certain how to get the riser and flap out of the exhaust manifold, as the bolt needs some TLC.
20220716_185317.jpg

I did snap the nut off that holds the heat riser coil case today, as it is very rusty, so I will have to figure that out as well.

1658016936531.png
20220716_185216.jpg
20220716_185245.jpg

From what I am seeing, the Exhaust manifolds for F engines from 1968-1974 are not very easy to find, but I am concerned with the amount of rust on the Manifold, especially where that nut just snapped. With how rusty the heat riser is, does it make more sense to search the vast internet for manifolds, or is it salvageable?

20220716_185209.jpg

That manifold is salvagable. I would run it through a electrolysis tank for a few days. That would likely free up the flap, and would remove all the rust.
If you are unfamiliar with the electrolysis process you can read about my tank here: Rust Removal

Another option is to find a tub large enough to hold the manifold and cover it with Evapo-Rust. It will attack the rust but not harm the good metal. Before putting it in the tub wash it off with soapy water so there is no oils left on it.

Once you have the manifold back in working condition you'll want to protect it. Starting with post #12 in this thread is what I did for mine. You could also send it out to be ceramic coated.

Hey Folks, thanks for your suggestion on this. This gives me a good direction to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom