5 speed auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They have no problems showing a shop how to do it, but they just say unless the shop has seen how it's done then they won't be able to work it out.
Doesn't seem the way to run a business. Not everyone wants to use a shop or they don't live near one of these certified shops. There limiting there clients. Do you work at one of there shops that have been shown the way? Please give details.

I can't say enough about PCS I was wanting a few more inputs and outputs to make everything on the dash function as stock with dash lights and such. They shipped out more wires with connector terminals free of charge

Doesn't seem the way to run a business. Not everyone wants to use a shop or they don't live near one of these certified shops. There limiting there clients. Do you work at one of there shops that have been shown the way? Please give details.

I can't say enough about PCS I was wanting a few more inputs and outputs to make everything on the dash function as stock with dash lights and such. They shipped out more wires with connector terminals free of charge

Unless you have a dyno in your garage your going to have to take it to a shop!

No my workshop does not have a dyno, but my mates workshop does & when I was installing my wolf stand alone ECU I wanted my mate to tune it. But after speaking to Robbie from wolf he told me that unless a tuner has been trained they won't be able to work out the transmission tuning side of things, but he was happy to show him so I let wolf do it, but now my mate is a new dealer for wolf .

Not really sure what a dyno would do for trans shift points maybe optimize to save some time vs the butt dyno and fine tuning.

I'll talk to some to a few of the all in one computer guys if I get to the point of jumping in.

Don't have everything side by side to compare but did grad a a442f bell housing to compare to the a750f. Can I say tiny. Smaller thinner shorter on every dimension.

My initule measurements show the A343f main large 2 bolt holes close to the same spot but the rest in completely different places.

Thought I would shoot a picture of the 442 750 bell housings. The 750 almost fits inside. The starter is also in the valley of the motor. Very different from traditional placement
uploadfromtaptalk1444796487087.jpg

Adapters can always be made I'll look for the differences and see what makes the most since. Of course I don't have a normal rig so what makes since for me might not be a viable option for the toyota purest type. I'm trying to look at it from different angles

Just to clarify we are not concerned with the engine end just the transmission end. It was thought to use the 1FZ A343 bell housing to mount to the transmission. We know the A442 shouldn't share any mount points as its not the same case size.

So my move would be flip the A343 bell housing large side down, place the 2UZ/A750 bell housing on top of it so the small ends are mated together and you are looking down the large end. And then line up what holes you can and trace the other holes on the A343 bell housing. Then it's just a matter of hopefully drilling those holes, bolting the A343 bell housing to the A750 and bolting that to the engine lol

Just to clarify we are not concerned with the engine end just the transmission end. It was thought to use the 1FZ A343 bell housing to mount to the transmission. We know the A442 shouldn't share any mount points as its not the same case

Yes but if it comes down to needing an adapter the 442 bell might be easier due to its larger size and different bolt pattern. Just covering my bases. And it was given to me so why not look at it. I thought the size difference was comical.

Just an update to keep the masses on the edge of there seat. Although they better grab a sleeping bag and campstove this is going to be a long haul. Prabably another week before I have the 343/750 side by side on the bench. And winter before I even think of an adapter. Just a fact finding mission now.

Last edited:
Finally got the 343/750 next to each other on the work bench.
uploadfromtaptalk1446431961939.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1446431901268.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446431934914.jpg

The 2 larger bolts line up. But the rest do not. The large hole bore is almost an inch different.

The torque converter while.having the same splines the oil pump is a different length by an inch. I figure for an adapter it would need to be 5/8-3/4" thick and pretty intricate and out of steel. Need to get the torque converter shipped to see if there is even clearance for the bell to be spaced out that far. My guess is no

Sent from my SM-G900V

uploadfromtaptalk1446432266835.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446432305015.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446432322480.jpg

Thank you to 2fpower for letting me borrow one of his spare 343F's

Sent from my SM-G900V

Damn, well thanks for grabbing the pieces and actually getting them side by side. Only so much you can tell from white papers.

Hard to tell are the shaft lengths the same? The bellhousings are not the same depth.

All the shaft components are about an inch shorter but same spline and diameters

Sent from my SM-G900V

Last edited:
The 2004 transfer case is shorter with no VC. so trans is 5/8 longer plus 3/4" adapter puts the rear a half inch longer and the front 1.5" longer

But like said I do not think the torque cover has the space in the bell housing to accept a spacer of that size. The 442 bell housing is an inch thicker to start but may accept a thinner adapter

Sent from my SM-G900V

Last edited:
It just couldn't be that simple. That stinks. That similar spline is the only bright spot I guess.

uploadfromtaptalk1450755367909.jpg

With torque converter. No room for an adapter with the 1FZ bell with the smaller opening without cutting and welding the 1FZ to the other. A good jig would have to be made to align. It's been done before but not the best adapter option.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I really appreciate you guys comparing the 4 and 5 speed bellhousings and torque converters. Going back and forth between 97 FZ and 04 UZ, I really appreciate the difference of an extra gear and the wider spread makes. Even more noticeable in a Suburban with a 5.3 and 6 speed. Especially living out West where we constantly alternate between 80 mph freeways and rockcrawling.

I can get more power out of FZ by forced induction but still stuck with same 4 speed transmission, I have wondered if it was possible to swap in 5 speed. Sadly, it appears not possible without machining a custom bellhousing; drilling or a plate will not be enough.

I have very seriously thought about a Vortec swap to replace my tired FZ, primarily to get the 6 speed auto. After assessing my current skills, time, and funds, decided I better stick with "bolt on" and will swap in fresher FZ with a supercharger for my current Cruiser so I can actually get some wheeling time. Still a struggling on where to compromise on gearing: for freeway (regear to stock rpm) or lower for crawling.

Will pick up another Cruiser later for a more ambitious project. I really would like to see a 5 or 6 (or 8!) speed transmission swap for the FZ, unfortunately I am not in a place to work that out right now.

Since I could not sleep well last night (between gear ratios, adapter plates ideas, Toyota 5 and 6 speed auto tranny and wait for it... GM 6L80E).

Here comes the wishful thinking. :princess:

Did some internet research and came up with nothing regarding swapping a Toyota 5/6 speed into our FZJ. No adapter plates, no bell housing, none of that.
I did stumble upon the GM 6 speed tranny in one post here, in which a member swapped an entire GM powerplant (yes it's been done before, but never really paid much attention to those threads, because I am not really interested in having a total swap... I got a 20k miles or so freshly rebuilt 1FZ-FE, so there is no point at this time to get a V8).

Apparently other people have done some early R&D regarding the GM v8 and 6L80E swaps.
Some have come up with a V8 to Toyota transmission adapter plate, others with a 6L80E to transfer case adapter.

Here comes the wishful thinking part:

Would the symmetry be kept in a mirror image when using the V8 to Toyota 4 speed adapter plate?
In other words could that adapter plate work on a 1FZ-FE and a 6L80E since the bolt pattern is the same, but on the opposite sides of the plate?

Then there is also a 6L80E to Toyota transfer case adapter plate. So that's good as it is.

Both of those plate are apparently expensive. Only madness would justify the swap at this point. The cost of the transmission, engine to tranny adapter plate, tranny to transfer case adapter plate, TCU, programming and labor maybe.

Here is the V8 to Toyota 4 speed adapter plate:

712535-D : Land Cruiser FJ80 & 100 Automatic to1986 & later V8 Engines | Advance Adapters

and the 6L80E to Toyota transfer case adapter:

6L80E to LandCruiser 4-speed auto HF2A transfer case

It is possible these parts could be found a little cheaper, but what does a few hundred dollars less do in this scenario? Not much.

I hope someone can chime in regarding the mirror image symmetry regarding the engine-transmission plate bolt pattern. I have no idea.

Of course there is the length of the entire setup to consider too, the new tranny, and both plates.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom