4xFletch's FJ55 restoration "Moose" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It was a warm sunny late summer day and I happen to be the first to see that someone had posted an FJ55 needing a new home. I saw it was the next state over so I thought I should reply that I will take it and beg for forgiveness later with the wife. Guy responds to call him, wife says "Yes, you need to get her!"
Ok, I am getting ahead of myself. Since I am new to this thread, let me introduce myself: I am Scott and I am addicted to Land Cruisers. It started at age 7 or 8 when I got a Hot Wheels Land Cruiser. It was a red FJ40 with monster truck tires. I fell in love. It was my favorite toy car. In fact I still have it. Fast forward to high school. My Dad tells me that if I get "A's" in all my classes he would help me buy a car. I am sure he expected an expensive vehicle, but no, I wanted a 1970 FJ40 that was for sale in the local paper. I drove it, and it was perfect. I think we settled on $2400. It was hard to drive. It had a Muncie 4 speed and a corvette 327 in it. All my friends wanted to drive it. So I made a deal with them. If they could find reverse they could drive it. No one ever succeeded. I was very happy with the FJ40 and drove it for many years through college but always had wanted a FJ55. A couple a years ago I saw one at a Einstein bagels which rekindled my love. I told my wife that I intended to own one. She said, "they are so ugly, really....." To which I replied "how dare you!"
Years later after two FJ40's (70' and 77') 4 80 series (92, 93, 95 and current 97) and a 100 (2000 supercharged) I finally have one.
Ok, back to where I started. We decided that the coming Saturday was the day to pick her up. I rented a car hauler and drove, with the whole family in tow, the 5 hours south to southern Alabama to load her up. This is how she looked:
FJ55 First look.jpeg

And
IMG_0109.JPG

Pulled her out of the trees and loaded on a trailer. Fearful of what creatures made this beast its home.
IMG_0112.JPG

So we are headed back home. However we pass the first Buckee's we had ever seen. After enduring an info-mercial from my Brother who lived in Texas about how great the Buckee's are, and I mean full on advertisement. He went through a 5 point explanation of how great this place was.; we stopped for gas and BBQ sandwiches. It did not disappoint. While there we get a slew of people asking about the pig. During the 6 hour drive home, two other gas stops produce the same result. Random dudes telling stories of their old Toyota's as they proceed to get in there Sienna's and drive off.

We don't get home until about 9 pm. Of course the next day after returning the rental trailer, I begin pressure washing all of the vegetation off of Moose. She cleaned up quite well:

IMG_0115.JPG

And next to the younger nephew:

IMG_0117.JPG

Moose came with replacement fenders. Which was great because I had no idea how to start. The interior was a mess:
IMG_0118.JPG

I decided to install the fenders and begin one side at a time repairing the rust and paint with primer. It helped that I had learned how to do body work as a teenager.
Getting there:
IMG_0147.JPG

I decided to take a break from body work and work on the interior. One evening I saw the biggest mouse I had ever seen crawling up to the headliner... Time to gut it and get rid of those pernicious creatures.
IMG_0129.JPG

I started with using POR 15 metal prep. Cut out large rust sections and welded in new pieces and then coated with bedliner coating with an added thermoCells additive for heat and sound deadening:

IMG_0146.JPG

After that dried, I began installing 50 mil sound deadening material to the floor board. Now that I got the mice out, I moved her into the garage to continue the body work. Ohh, and BTW, she cranked over... Engine and electrical work to come...

Last edited:
Nice! Looks lifted already?

Yes, it appears so. The previous owner, although details were hazy provided some details:
- New suspension was installed prior to parking
- Brand new BFG AT installed prior to parking.

What I have learned:
- Column shift changed to floor shift. Still 3 speed
- Front axle converted to disc brakes and power booster added.
- I think the fuel tank is bigger than OEM. Perhaps a long range tank installed at some point.
- Everything else appears original.

Last edited:
I can't believe the southern cartel didn't find this one. Looks like you found a good project that will keep you busy. What's the overall plan for Moose?
I definitely lucked out on this one. After getting the coordinates of Moose's location, I used google earth and could see it. Gave me an idea.. Maybe I can find others just waiting to be discovered... Shouldn't take long right?
The plan for now is to clean it up, getting it running and enjoying it. It wont be a full restore. Sourcing all the missing parts would be a nightmare. Going to get some comfy seats in it, a good stereo and get up in the mountains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom