4th Gen Rear Strut Stuck on Mounting/Axle Post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm nearly done putting on my new suspension (Dobinsons) kit, but the GD passenger rear strut refuses to budge off the mounting post (see image). So far, I have tried the standard pry bar, a 4-pound hammer and metal pipe placed against the bottom of the strut under the axle, and swearing.

As you can see in the photo, the axle bolt is off and there is no gap between the strut sleeve/bushing and the axle mounting post. I've been beating on it for a while and am not getting anywhere.

Does anyone know what will happen if I cut the rubber bushing at the base of the strut? I'm not going to reuse the strut at all.

There are about 192k on the car with very little rust and these are the factory struts. Any tips and/or advice would be appreciated.

IMG_20190401_192954.jpg

You're axle it tilted up...rotate the pinion down a touch. It is bound by axle weight.

The strut isn't bound by the axle weight. The top but is out and the top of the strut can be moved any direction I need it to go (within reason).

I'd try: a pickle fork (hit it with a hammer), if no pickle fork available then something like a large chisel; tie rod end puller (but don't munge the threads, maybe start the lower bolt and use the bolt head as the puller's anchor). I think if you cut or drill the bushing, you might find the inner metal sleeve bound to the mount == another PITA. Heat may help, and Kroil definitely would be a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom