4Runner rear window relay repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First, as always, thanks to everyone who takes the time to crack into their broken, old trucks and put up these awesome fixes.

I thought I would update for those who may be coming to this thread "post 2014":
- 12voltguy seems to be gone. I've googled and called around and his relay kit is no longer being produced from what I can tell. I would love to be wrong as this seems the best solution to the faulty relay issue.
- RadioShack no longer carries the correct relays on their website. You may have luck with your local store, but the service at ours is less than bad so "good luck"

So.... if you have bad relays and a working board and you want to fix your rear window, you are going to have to go with the Omron relays, which luckily are "drop in" solutions to the existing ones on the board. They are cheap (less than $2 each) and easy to get ahold of online:
result | OMRON Global

I ordered mine from Digi-Key but there are lots of sources. You will need to go the de-soldering route to have the board restored to original condition. I'll post my results after I get the relays. I'm not in ordinance disposal so I'm not the best at wiring so If I can do it truly anyone can...

I replaced mine about ten years ago with two relays and a switch in the dash which circumvents ALL the other wiring. It runs the window motor very strongly. All the safety interlocks and such seem to really drag down the line current that actually gets to the motor. Switch on the dash, 3 wires to the two relays in the driver-side rear panel which replaced the entire factory circuit board, and I just used the original wiring from the circuit board back to the window. There is a lead in the bundle that powers the window up and another that powers the window down. The window now cranks up or down no matter what when the switch on the dash is pressed, but the key switch in the tailgate no longer works. Mine was pretty full of crud from so many years of trail-riding anyway. I forgot about my writeup, its here: RCRC Tech Articles second from last in the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom