3Y and 3Y-E engines (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd like some opinions on the Toyota Y-series engines. I am looking at some YN80 and YN107 Hilux trucks, which can be found for a good price compared to the 3L diesel.

I've heard some pretty awful things about the 3Y. Been told they drink oil, blow head gaskets, and have frequent fuel delivery issues.

Anyone have personal experience?
Yep had both, 3Y and 3L. 3Y is a pig, so is a 3L, but you can easily have a turbo pig with a 3L. I actually sold my 3L and put in a factory KZ mech pump turbo mind blowing compared to 3L or 3Y. But like for like I'd go 3L anyday.

What is the appeal of an import Hilux with this gasoline engine vs a North American market pickup of the same year range that has a 22R(E) or 3VZ-E?

Seems to me that if you're hearing awful things about the 3Y motor and that the imports can be had 'at a good price' vs other commonly imported alternatives, there's a reason for that.

Unless it's a particularly clean truck and you're planning on doing an engine swap down the road (figure in how that affects the 'good price') I'd probably look for something else.

A 3Y? In Idaho? Ummmm. Just get a domestic with a 22re or 3.slow. Much better support when you need to fix it.

I am curious if you bought one of those Southern Idaho Hilux pickups?
I found the seller on line and have been waiting on walk around videos of the 3Y trucks.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom