3rd Row Seat Rust (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I got my first 100 series a couple weeks ago, 03 LX, which is completely rust free except as I recently discovered where the front of the 3rd row seats connect near the wheel wells. I searched but didn't see anything so I'm not sure how common this is. I assume based on the carpet that it has had lots of kids in it over the years and I bet there were drinks spilled that just set there.

My plan was already to pull the rear carpet and clean it thoroughly so dealing with this shouldn't be a big deal. I was thinking sanding and wire wheel followed by POR Metal Prep and Coating. I might need to replace the hardware on the left side but haven't investigated yet what it's holding underneath.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any other thoughts on dealing with this?
IMG_8665.JPG
IMG_8666.JPG

I’m seeing a similar thing with my driver seat. Looking at the same course of action with a backstop of pulling one from a wrecker (car-parts.com is your friend).

Same issue. I'm not sure what has caused but like you suspect various spillage events. Also we are skiers, and I know we're continually piling wet gear in the back during the winters. So maybe. Lastly - the seal surrounding the 3rd brake light over the tailgate fails, and water gets in that way so maybe that's happening to you and then pooling in these areas.

My solution - I keep an eye on them and dry them out during the winter. I have removed the third brake light and resealed with waterproof window caulking (you can also buy new obviously but I went cheap). Lastly - I removed the rusty seat cleats (or whatever they're called), wire brushed them with cordless attachments, and then soaked them in Fluid Film (because I had it on hand, but also Corrosion X or equivalent to stop the rust). Lastly - used the same waterproof window caulking on the bolts of the cleats when I reinstalled, because it also seems like somehow water is 'wicking' up the bolt into these areas.

As far as I know, I have carpet-bombed the issue but won't really know until late fall/winter. Hopefully this helps!

Great. Thanks for tips. I don't know Corrosion X but I'll check it out. I sure miss the blasting cabinet I used to have access to. That would fix these up fast.

if you remove the plastic trim piece, there are 2? bolts that hold the metal piece in place.

Always thought the 3rd row seats were kinda useless except for small agile kids. Ditched mine long ago. If grand-kids arrive will regret that move.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom