3FE Owners Check-In (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got my 1st 91 LC. Got 175K on the clock and completely stock. Things did was upgraded the sounds and head unit with a touch screen DVD player. Then put some 20's i had laying around. Bought some goodies for the truck but didn't put it on yet due to a new baby! Enjoy Aloha

What head unit did you go with, and how do you like it?

I want to do the same but I keep puting it off on my 91 LC, prices do seem to be dropping now... somewhat.
I'm impressed with some of the new bluetooth features on the replacement Double DIN units.
Also considering just an inexpensive no-name 7" screen chinese unit like you see on ebay, but I'd hate to throw money away if that goes belly-up within a year.
Show a pic if you have one, thanks.

3fe problems

hi guys i have a 1990 sahara with the 3fe , cracked bottom tank on radiator , replaced that with new unit all hoses & thermostat replaced , the head gasket was replaced and new cold start injector temp switch replaced , now it idles high 1200-1300 revs at idle and when it get to operating temp it loses all power down low till it gets to 1400 revs , can any1 help please, thanks geoff its driving me :censor: nuts

Last edited:
hi guys i have a 1990 sahara with the 3fe , cracked bottom tank on radiator , replaced that with new unit all hoses & thermostat replaced , the head gasket was replaced and new cold start injector temp switch replaced , now it idles high 1200-1300 revs at idle and when it get to operating temp it loses all power down low till it gets to 140 revs , can any1 help please, thanks geoff

Start a new thread. :cheers:

I can't believe I haven't posted in this yet.

1991 original family owned.
215,000ish miles
everything reworked to my liking except the transmission
needs a little more lift and tire and a front locker.
user27637_pic15959_1254755231[1].jpg

Checking in

I'm a owner of a 1990 VX limited 3FE RHD FJ80. This model came out a year earlier in Japan I guess. I'm in Lethbridge Alberta and I use my cruiser as a daily driver and a hunting rig. It has 152000km and has only left me stranded twice. No modifications but I'm going through the EFI relay's like crazy. I hope to get to the bottom of this with the Help of all you Cruiser heads.

004-2-1.jpg

this is the same unit that i had in my mini85. It's a Clarion. I took it out before i sold it and installed it in the LC.

Guess I should finally post.

1991 - 206,000 miles - 33x12.50x15 - Tint (hehe... yep it's a mod)

I just got mine this past Wednesday. Below is what it looked like when I got it. Then another pic from this past Saturday after I took it out on some trails. I got it 100% stock and I added the TrXus MT tires and had the windows tinted. Other than that it's all stock. Planning on a lift VERY soon. This is my first Land Cruiser.
IMG00091.jpg
lc1.jpeg.jpg

Just picked up a 1992 FJ80 with over 355,560 miles on it. Never been rebuilt I have all the receipts and from what I can tell I'm the third owner. It runs great and everything inside looks perfect. All the seats are brand new as well as the carpets and headliner. Can't wait to put a lift on it.

Hey everybody. I've just bought a 91 FJ80 with 271xxx on the ticker. It's a project truck. It's not pretty but for $1500 I couldn't pass it up. It's stock except for the TJM front bumper.

Reporting in with my 1989 3FE from my 62, 250k+ and still strong...

1262.jpg

Oh, this is '80 series tech'... :flipoff2:

Is it as clean on the inside as it is on the outside? Looks good, 62's are pretty BA IMO...just think I'd rather have an H55 in anything older than an 80.

Thanks!

It's a clean machine I/O... I'd better move back to '60 tech' before I start getting beat on. :p

1991 FJ80
about 160k,
Is my DD
My main mods are OME J lift, I" body,35" BFG At's,30mm spacers up front, ARB front, T-Maxx 10k, Aussie Rear, 5:29s, cats removed, Flowmaster muffler,Scion head Unit,Home made Dual Battery kit,Home made part-time kit, Home made rear tire carrier. About to buy IPOR rear bumper. Needs paint bad, clear coat is toast. Slowly getting paint materials for this summers new paint job. Truck is my favorite Toyota Ive owned. More to come soon.
CIMG2154.jpg
CIMG2177.jpg
SUNP0023.jpg

Last edited:
A couple months late, but checking in with my new to me 3FE:

landcruiser.jpg

1992 with 143k miles. Only problem so far is the usual broken antenna that I'm currently trying to replace with a shorter rubber one. Have to start putting some money away for general upkeep and mods.

Grendel - 1991 FJ80 3FE

Meet Grendel, my new-to-me 3FE
1991 FJ80
pretty much all stock, excited to change that but no specific mod plans yet (feel free to suggest)

Grendel.JPG

Terry B
Fredericksburg VA

My first 3FE. 286K miles. Got it for a great price today, couldnt pass up the deal.

To do list:
  • Reseal the motor
  • Baseline the fluids
  • Full tune up
  • New hoses & belts
  • Rebuild front axle + new drive flanges
  • Fix PS front & DS rear power windows
  • De-grease entire drivetrain & underside (plus is zero rust from the oil blowback!)
  • Then comes the fun stuff....

91 fj80 3fE

Hey guys I'm glad I've found this resource. I purchased a 91 FJ80 for 4k straight body very minor rust pretty rare since I live on an Island. My first impression was Mastadon very big and very slow I was getting about 8 mpg. Engine was in need of some serious TLC at 120K. I have had it for about 3 weeks and have stared to bring her back to life. Oil change/ filter/ NGK iridium plugs* complete fabricated new exhaust system w/ cherry bomb muffler, fuel filter replaced, throttle cleaned/ Distributer cap cleaned and replaced rotor with OEM Napa rotor/cleaned head gasket cover and replaced head gasket. Added trailer hitch/hold/hang bars in interior (Japan)/replaced door motors/ tinted windows
Failed at: light replacement due to wrong part # , new rotor cap did not fit so I just cleaned the old one, msd ignition wires did not fit center cap.

Desires: performance plug wires
universal/modified air intake system
Change diff fluid
By used FJ cruiser stock rims from my buddy

These upgrades have the engine sounding alot better the cherry bomb is a little loud but I'm starting to get used to it. I reached 14mpg recently but still needs a little more juice for those steep island hills

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and looking for my first 80 series. I am getting ready to go look at one and owner says PO replaced motor with one that had 75k on it. How can I verify this? are there any stamps on the block? The vehicle is priced well but odometer has 370k so I really would like to know if he is telling the truth or not.
Thanks in advance

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and looking for my first 80 series. I am getting ready to go look at one and owner says PO replaced motor with one that had 75k on it. How can I verify this? are there any stamps on the block? The vehicle is priced well but odometer has 370k so I really would like to know if he is telling the truth or not.
Thanks in advance

I found this thread. It may answer your question. Good luck getting an 80

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/188441-engin-serial-number-vin-number.html

air intake

has anyone found an air intake system or ram air system that will work with my 3f3, i have found the k&n replacement and an afe universel but i was hoping someone haS ALREADY DONE TRIAL AND ERROR THANKS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom