3FE Owners Check-In (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My next project is rebuilding the doors. Ive been amassing parts for three months. I got pulled over for a seat belt violation the other day and the only thing on my mind was, "I hope i can get the window back up, its gonna rain any time". Good luck with your truck!

Thanks man, you too. I am hoping I can get it ready before summer.

Me too. I'm pretty well base lined but the list keeps adding. If you really fall in love with the truck as with any vehicle youre going to starting adding this and that. I have a den full of parts and not enough time to get them on. Get it back to mechanically reliable then start with the custom. It'll be a long road but the fun is in journey.

Owned for about a year and finally checkin in.

1992 FJ80 160K
Cloth Interior
Pulled off Fenders and Factory Crossbars.
Wheel Vintiques 16x7" Smoothies
Toyo M55 255/85 R16
Built drawers/sleeping platform.

EGR modulator replaced to pass CA smog.
New rotors, pads, and lines from axle to calipers.
Replaced worn steering damper with OME.

OME 861/862 soon

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

DSCF1145.jpg

1992 FJ80 160K
Cloth Interior
Toyo M55 255/85 R16

OME 861/862 soon

View attachment 1388558
View attachment 1388560
View attachment 1388559
View attachment 1388561
Nice rig, best year and color, factory break in period almost complete.

91 FJ80. 167k. Stock. Engine runs strong, no smoke or valve noise. Wakulla County FLA down by St Marks on the beautiful Wakulla River.

Second post on this with more details.
91 FJ80, about 163k. White. Poverty package :)
Radiator was replaced by the PO (aluminum). Side steps were removed.
Just put 33x10.5x15s on it. No lift.
Did a bunch of baseline maintenance, remedied PO foibles, the oil pan gasket, new shocks, steering damper, speedometer cable, and battery box. More to do.
Replaced a bunch of interior bits, including the steering column clamshell, steering wheel, SOR seat foam and cover on the driver's seat, driver's seat belt webbing, and new door bezels.
Assembling the Summit Cruisers spare tire swingout now.
It's getting a new Pioneer head unit, speakers, 8" sub, and 2 amps.
Going to try cramming a 10k winch behind the factory bumper.
Rock sliders some day.
Going to explore the Shasta-Trinity NF.

1992 FJ80 160K
Cloth Interior
Toyo M55 255/85 R16

OME 861/862 soon

View attachment 1388558
View attachment 1388560
View attachment 1388559
View attachment 1388561
Cleeeaaaan. Makes me want to take all my crap off. Love it

Are the comments below from Curtis on MUD from another thread likely referencing the same drive flange issue that you are describing?

I'm tellin' ya: 91-92 80's clunk. Put it in reverse, "Slam-clunk!" Put it back in drive, "Slam-clunk!" Let off the gas anything other than as gently as possible, "clunk." Get back on the gas, "clunk." Clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk!

It's generally believed that it's just a result of all the accumulated AWD slop, and, in fact, I'm starting to think the mysterious VC in the later models is there for no other reason than to reduce this.

80 series(91-92): Embrace the clunk.

62 series(88-90): Fear the clunk.

Curtis
I feel so much better. I will embrace my clunk.

I feel so much better. I will embrace my clunk.

I hesitate just a little between stations. Park ..... reverse....neutral.....drive. It doesn't take forever. The clinks are much smaller.

Checking in, picked up a 92 that that had been in a slight front end wreck. Transmission was blown with 268k on it. Saved it from going to the scrap yard for a second time as it was bought back from one already. Very clean rust wise as it is from Califronia. Interior was pretty clean aswell except the drivers seat which is showing its age. It is white (which I think is the best color for the FJ80s). I ended up throwing a H42 and split case I got for a really good deal in it. So far it runs alittle high in the RPMs at 70, but not to bad really. I also threw some 33x10.5x15 KO2s on it to help it with the RPMs and help with the look. So far I get about 15mpg on long highway drives back and forth from the airport when I was doing them. Considering lockers on it even though there is no reason right now since I live in an area flat as a pancake.

Best of all it has no clunk.:cheers:

New 3FE and Land Cruiser owner checking in. Not new to Toyotas, this will be my 8th truck/suv. Bought my 91 from a local guy with 198k on the clock, bald out-of-balance tires and an idle issue. Already addressed quite a few oddities from previous PO('s), including wiring, seat belts, and general straightening up. Have stated the process of replacing the rust-ball o2 sensors and related CEL. Thinking I'll just cut those sections of pipe out and replace it (wish me luck). Already started desmogging it by disabling the egr, the rest to come as I have time/money. Taken off the stupid smutty built nerf bars and reattached one of the fender flares. Still needs all your typical maintenance items (oil, fuel filters, plugs, wires, cap and rotor). Brakes need desperate attention as does suspension in general. Planning on a "no lift" OME setup and other overlanding/expedition/camping type upgrades. I've only upgraded the tires to 32x10.5 KO2's so far. Anyway, looking forward to the journey. Here some of the only pictures I have so far.

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

Nice truck!

Thanks! It needs some love, but I'm optimistic about it being a great, capable, long-living truck.

New to the forum! Just purchased my first Land Cruiser ever, 91 with 199,000 miles (California car until last year). Here's a picture from the day I picked it up about 1 month ago:
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
And here's what it looks like now. Lots of maintenance and paint restoration, with a few upgrades:
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG

Hey guys, long time lurker. I finally decided to sign up for my Mud account. Also, I just rolled into Gallup, NM last night. Any NM Cruiserheads in the area?

1992 FJ80 w/ 265k miles
w/ 1994 interior and locked axles (triple locked now)
OME Stock Height springs w/ 285 Duratracs
Desmogged, head milled .030, waiting for a turbo to fall into my lap.........maybe someday!
Basically stock, had it for a couple years and still trying to get caught up on the PM, I wheel it as much as the wife will let me.

Keith

Cruiser.jpg

IMG_3720.JPG
Wow and thank you for everyone that has contributed to this forum. I bought my 1991 LC for 5800 240,000 and very little rust. It has a fresh rebuilt engine 3fe and tranny and brand new mich 31's . I have replaced all most all the bushings and had a new exhaust put on it. The front bearings were done due to the wheel 12/6 movement. it looks like the idiot before me used a drift punch to loosen and tighten the 54 mm nut it was almost to the point where i would of lost a wheel the lock washer wasn't bent either, they were repacked and replaced and torqued to the proper spec replaced the rotors and pads while i was in there. It drives amazing now. The stereo was an awe of amazement the guy that had it looked like he waded electrical tape up and mashed the wires to the back of the speakers and used sheet rock screws to destroy the door panels, it is installed correctlyish now. i am just glad he didn't mess with the head unit, i am sure he would of destroyed it. I had that rattle at idle while in drive and reverse but not in park or nuteral. I tightened the belts using the idler pulley to 1/4 deflection and for now it seems to be solved. I am in the Nashville area and am new to this hobby. My last hobby was SWAT i did it for 8 years and was gone away from the family a lot. I have recently retired from that and now just work for the government as a laminator 3. So, this is my new hobby. I have been an Armorer for about 9 years specializing in the AR platform and glocks. My experiences as a mechanic go to the basics i can do anything with youtube!! If, I don't think I can do it i will sub it out. If, anyone on here needs help with gun related issues feel free to DM me. Next up is shocks and other issues that arise.

View attachment 1414326 Wow and thank you for everyone that has contributed to this forum. I bought my 1991 LC for 5800 240,000 and very little rust. It has a fresh rebuilt engine 3fe and tranny and brand new mich 31's . I have replaced all most all the bushings and had a new exhaust put on it. The front bearings were done due to the wheel 12/6 movement. it looks like the idiot before me used a drift punch to loosen and tighten the 54 mm nut it was almost to the point where i would of lost a wheel the lock washer wasn't bent either, they were repacked and replaced and torqued to the proper spec replaced the rotors and pads while i was in there. It drives amazing now. The stereo was an awe of amazement the guy that had it looked like he waded electrical tape up and mashed the wires to the back of the speakers and used sheet rock screws to destroy the door panels, it is installed correctlyish now. i am just glad he didn't mess with the head unit, i am sure he would of destroyed it. I had that rattle at idle while in drive and reverse but not in park or nuteral. I tightened the belts using the idler pulley to 1/4 deflection and for now it seems to be solved. I am in the Nashville area and am new to this hobby. My last hobby was SWAT i did it for 8 years and was gone away from the family a lot. I have recently retired from that and now just work for the government as a laminator 3. So, this is my new hobby. I have been an Armorer for about 9 years specializing in the AR platform and glocks. My experiences as a mechanic go to the basics i can do anything with youtube!! If, I don't think I can do it i will sub it out. If, anyone on here needs help with gun related issues feel free to DM me. Next up is shocks and other issues that arise.

Is that one that was on Craigslist near Cinci?

No, it was in nashville but he could of cross posted it
I see. I am always in the market for another 3FE for parts vehicle and I saw that one. Owner seems off camber so I didnt check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom