3FE distributor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO of my 72 FJ40 installed the AFI EFI system and electronic ignition by way of a distributor from a 3FE engine. Truck has been running great all summer, but now I am not getting any spark, and I think it may be the distributor. Is it possible to find a source for just the "electronic" components of the distributor ? As always, this forum is great, and welcome any and all advices.

thank you

I'd make sure you have power where it is needed. Why don't you think it could be a bad coil?

Call AFI - or email them. I have gotten pretty good support from them, and they may be able to tell you how to test your current, modified 3F-E distributor.

A coil is cheap - I might start there, as Byron suggested.

So it is definitely the distributor. Any suggestions on where to purchase a rebuilt 3FE distributor ?

Rock Auto shows 5 different rebuilt ones for sale. Are you going to take apart and repair your AFI one with parts from the new one?

Rock Auto shows 5 different rebuilt ones for sale. Are you going to take apart and repair your AFI one with parts from the new one?
Thank you. My AFI Fuel Injection is working fine. If you mean, am I going to repair the Distributor, I had planned on just swapping it out with a replacement. If I could purchase just the electronics part of the distributor that would be great, but don't think they are available.

@kevindr - The 3F-E distributor you got from AFI with your EFI kit is not stock. The modify it by milling off all but 6 of the reluctor teeth inside. I suspect that if you merely stab in a new or reman distributor, your AFI fuel injection will not work. This is why I suspect you either need to call AFI or swap guts to fix the one you have.

@kevindr - The 3F-E distributor you got from AFI with your EFI kit is not stock. The modify it by milling off all but 6 of the reluctor teeth inside. I suspect that if you merely stab in a new or reman distributor, your AFI fuel injection will not work. This is why I suspect you either need to call AFI or swap guts to fix the one you have.
Steve ,

And yet again forum members come to the rescue. No doubt I would have installed the reman dist. I owe you, and many others, a beer. Steve, thank you so much for your assistance. I have contacted AFI to see if I can purchase either the guts or the entire unit directly from them.

Happy to help. Maybe AFI can exchange it for you, for a small fee? That might be the slickest solution, time and money-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom