3D Printed Key Fob - Bye Bye Cracked OEM Shells (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Page 1 of this thread, supra says you need a transponder key. That's what he shows in his pictures. Did I misread that?

I recommend to use a transponder key. That's what I use.

Using a plain metal key *can* work and I have multiple customers that have used a metal key without issue. However, if the fob dangles too far from the ignition it may not register and the car will not start. To avoid any problems with that, I recommend everyone use a transponder key to play it safe.

Ultimately, it's up to the end user. :)

Haha, I did some experimenting with it earlier. Looks like it hangs close enough.
Does anyone have a part number or link to a non-transponder key? I want a Toyota logo key, not the eBay specials.
Thanks

Update from the 100 series thread:

Fresh batch of 100series/Lexus fobs arrived!

I finally solved a problem I've been chasing with the printer AND solved my mismatching color issue by printing parts all at once in linked groups. Good news all around!

The nut cavities are coming in perfect and the parts are consistently smooth.

Anyone with outstanding orders should be receiving tracking info via email tomorrow!

All colors in stock and ready to ship!

80 Series:

So I moved recently from Phoenix back to Denver, CO. That move has eaten up all my free time lately.

For the two button shell pictured in this thread: I have a concept in mind to address the initial prototype problems seen by my first guinea pig, @UCLAcruiser . I'll get that next revision tidied up in the next month or so, but I will need a volunteer to help test it. It'd be great if someone was in the Denver/northern Colorado area that would be willing to meet up in person at some point. They'd get a free fob out of it once I nail down the design. Let me know if anyone is interested.

IMG_20170202_195133.jpg

With all the progress in 3D printing of new & harder plastics any chance of an on-key xmtr replacement? I'd say up to $75 is a fair price IMHO if that helps with market research.

I'm a minimalist and just not wanting a fob...

With all the progress in 3D printing of new & harder plastics any chance of an on-key xmtr replacement? I'd say up to $75 is a fair price IMHO if that helps with market research.

I'm a minimalist and just not wanting a fob...

I think it's absolutely possible and it's on my roadmap for product development. I started down that path and decided to pursue the separate fob first, mostly due to cost reasons. I figured a $40 price point for a separate fob would do better than a $75-100 integrated solution, at least to get started.

I expect to dive into an integrated solution design this year.

@FloydtheDog Thanks fro checking in. Short answer - no. The other style 80 series fob stalled out a while back and your style was planned after that first one was completed. I need to get back on it, but life's just been too busy to dedicate the time to it. Kid on the way, cross country move, new job, new house, new garage to set up, etc... It's been a hectic 6 months to say the least.

That being said, I still plan on finishing that Isuzu design - just don't hold your breath for anything this quarter.

... I still plan on finishing that Isuzu design - just don't hold your breath for anything this quarter.

Isn't it just like "life" to get in the way of your hobbies?

Thanks for the update. My current fob is in bad enough shape that I'm probably going to pick up a second Isuzu one for the mean time. Every time my keys hit the ground I think I'm gonna be picking up pieces. I guess I'll just have to buy two of the shells whenever you get them finished.

Thanks.

That being said, I still plan on finishing that Isuzu design - just don't hold your breath for anything this quarter.
Show the legendary 80 some love!

@FloydtheDog @Flank I had some time to spend on this for the first time in months. 4 hours produced the attached model for the "Isuzu" style. I'll get it printed and see what needs to be changed to fit perfectly (It's never right the first time).

I'm also hoping to get an updated rev for the other 2 button 80 series remote.

I also had an FJ owner contact me about a remote shell for their weak 2/3 button remote. That'll be next, perhaps...

X1 model.JPG

@FloydtheDog @Flank I had some time to spend on this for the first time in months. 4 hours produced the attached model for the "Isuzu" style. I'll get it printed and see what needs to be changed to fit perfectly (It's never right the first time).

I'm also hoping to get an updated rev for the other 2 button 80 series remote.

I also had an FJ owner contact me about a remote shell for their weak 2/3 button remote. That'll be next, perhaps...

View attachment 1433431
Tight! Do you have a tester remote, do you need one?

@FloydtheDog @Flank I had some time to spend on this for the first time in months. 4 hours produced the attached model for the "Isuzu" style. I'll get it printed and see what needs to be changed to fit perfectly (It's never right the first time)...

Looks good.

1 question:

Is the hole in the lower right corner larger enough to go directly on a keyring, or was the plan for it to be on a chain like the original?

Edit:

Sorry I went back & looked at the previous pics showing the use of a small split-ring.

Thanks again for your work on this.

Last edited:
Looks good.

1 question:

Is the hole in the lower right corner larger enough to go directly on a keyring, or was the plan for it to be on a chain like the original?

Edit:

Sorry I went back & looked at the previous pics showing the use of a small split-ring.

Thanks again for your work on this.

@FloydtheDog Yeah, you got it, no chain. It will use a traditional keyring. I'll see how it feels when it arrives. I'll probably want to put some kind of design/texture into it so it's not so flat and bland on the empty spaces of the front and back.

I hope I'm still in the que for an 80 series 2 button Isuzu? I know your busy, just don't forget me

I hope I'm still in the que for an 80 series 2 button Isuzu? I know your busy, just don't forget me

Absolutely! Once I get the design nailed down I'll have them for sale indefinitely via my website. Both the 2 button Isuzu and the two button trapezoid-Toyota style should be about ready after this next rev.

Ok, two button trapezoid Toyota fob shell is ready! The latest rev came in perfect, with no changes needed. Pictures attached and ready for sale soon. I'll open a thread in the 80 series section as a "group buy" sort of thing and get those going. Regular pricing will probably be around $42-45, but I'll drop the price to ~$38-40 for the group buy with a 2 week lead time.

The Isuzu style needs one more rev. It's functional as is, but the holes for the LED and buttons need to be re-aligned to fit perfectly. @FloydtheDog Sorry, but you have to wait one more rev before I have something I'll put my "brand" on. ;) I'll get the design done today and get a couple ordered up immediately. You'll receive the first one (or two) if you'd like before I do a group buy of sorts for that version.

IMG_20170423_104522.jpg

IMG_20170423_104536.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom