33" tires on stock suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On stock wheels that tire is too wide, it will rub.

With +40 offset, it will most likely work and may be minor rubbing. It can be solved by removing mud flap. I am running 285-70-17 on trd rock warrior wheel. I ran this setup for two years without lift and now did a lift with tundra control arms. I had to remove the front mud flaps. Take it tire shop for test fitting and before committing to the tire size and wheel combo.

It'll fit in the well but you'll need to rmove the front mudflaps and likely cut a bit on the fender lip/ edge towards the door ....

it'll look better for sure.... !

I'm using 20x9 wheels with a 40 offset. What do you think?
you will need to cut/remove/reshape the mudflaps and some minor fender trimming to fit that tire/wheel combo on. The other problem you might run into is rubbing against the UCA, even though you are running a 40mm offset the increased wheel width makes the effective backspacing about 3mm less than the 17x8 (50mm) rock warrior wheels. I know some of the guys running 12.5's on the rock warriors have had some rubbing on the UCA. It's gonna depend on the tire you choose, i.e. actual width, sidewall tread etc... Like @Atwalz said run it down and have them test fit some on there!

You'll be just fine with that fitment and wheel/offset. As mentioned the areas of concern are all "soft": 1) Front of wheel well where small deflector is 2) Rear of wheel well at mud guard.

My tires are effectively the size you are mounting at 33.2 x 12.4 dimensions. On an 20x8.5 +35. Possibly a little larger when you look at actual manufacturer sizes of 33x12.5 tires. Look for my posts with pics on how to resolve the areas of concern, and if you want to keep the mudflap.

Here's the relevant entries in the tire database. No exacts, and mine is probably the closest. Though there's certainly more aggressive ones that have been made to work.

lx570_33x12.5.JPG

You'll be just fine with that fitment and wheel/offset. As mentioned the areas of concern are all "soft": 1) Front of wheel well where small deflector is 2) Rear of wheel well at mud guard.

My tires are effectively the size you are mounting at 33.2 x 12.4 dimensions. On an 20x8.5 +35. Possibly a little larger when you look at actual manufacturer sizes of 33x12.5 tires. Look for my posts with pics on how to resolve the areas of concern, and if you want to keep the mudflap.

Here's the relevant entries in the tire database. No exacts, and mine is probably the closest. Though there's certainly more aggressive ones that have been made to work.

View attachment 1442688
You don't think he will rub on the UCA?!?! A 12.5 inch tire(mathematically) is around a 320mm, but let's call it 315mm for the sake of math. You are running a 20x8.5 with 35mm offset, that's going to have way different backspacing than a 20x9 with a 40mm offset. Well maybe not way different but just over 11mm. So not only is that tire about 10mm wider(5mm on each side) but the back of that wheel will be about 11mm closer to the UCA, total difference to your set up(mathematically) when you combine tire and wheel is about 16mm. Meaning in theory his tire/wheel combo would be 16mm closer to the UCA than yours. How much clearance do you have at the UCA, that should give him a good idea if this combo will work or not!?!? I would def test fit it and check your clearance at the UCA! I hope it works man, would look really good!

I have 20 X 9" wheels with 40mm offset and my 295/55/20 tires (32.76" X 12.17") only slightly rub when turning hard in reverse. Otherwise, there is no rubbing at all. Occasionally, I wish I would have went with 305/55 tires which are 33.23" and 12.44". I think they would fit, but at my current size my speedo is dead on and I don't think the extra 1/2" pros outweigh the cons.

I have 20 X 9" wheels with 40mm offset and my 295/55/20 tires (32.76" X 12.17") only slightly rub when turning hard in reverse. Otherwise, there is no rubbing at all. Occasionally, I wish I would have went with 305/55 tires which are 33.23" and 12.44". I think they would fit, but at my current size my speedo is dead on and I don't think the extra 1/2" pros outweigh the cons.
We should be able to get him a pretty solid answer based off of your setup since you are rolling the same wheel. He wants to roll a 12.5 inch tire, so basically a 318mm. let's call it 20mm wider than yours or 10mm per side. If you turn your steering wheel all the way do you have 10mm of clearance between your tire and the UCA? I know it's going to vary based on tire brand etc... But this should give him a pretty good idea.. thanks,

I test fit a 325 on my rig before the suspension - it could be made to fi,t but not worth the brain drain unless thre was a huge amount of extra power mandating the needed gription......I think that's jsut slightly wider then the 12.50...

UCA's likely to clear wit that offset all depending on the tire - wide variation there.....

keep us posted - have a friend debating the same on his new 16'.....

E

You don't think he will rub on the UCA?!?! A 12.5 inch tire(mathematically) is around a 320mm, but let's call it 315mm for the sake of math. You are running a 20x8.5 with 35mm offset, that's going to have way different backspacing than a 20x9 with a 40mm offset. Well maybe not way different but just over 11mm. So not only is that tire about 10mm wider(5mm on each side) but the back of that wheel will be about 11mm closer to the UCA, total difference to your set up(mathematically) when you combine tire and wheel is about 16mm. Meaning in theory his tire/wheel combo would be 16mm closer to the UCA than yours. How much clearance do you have at the UCA, that should give him a good idea if this combo will work or not!?!? I would def test fit it and check your clearance at the UCA! I hope it works man, would look really good!

Yup, 95% sure he'll fit without any issues at the UCA. The x9" wheels won't make any different at the tread (where there is potential fouling with the UCA), relative to my x8.5" wheel. It largely only influences how the sidewalls profile sits and there's plenty of clearance there.

I agree there's potential though, based on the type of tire he chooses. Especially if he gets a really aggressive M/T type tire that has a very square tread profile with large side lugs.

I'll see if I can't get some UCA clearance pics to help.

I personally went with wider tires not because of the power to overcome them. But I do enjoy spirited cornering and safe braking, where more width can definitely help.

Yup, 95% sure he'll fit without any issues at the UCA. The x9" wheels won't make any different at the tread (where there is potential fouling with the UCA), relative to my x8.5" wheel. It largely only influences how the sidewalls profile sits and there's plenty of clearance there.

I agree there's potential though, based on the type of tire he chooses. Especially if he gets a really aggressive M/T type tire that has a very square tread profile with large side lugs.

I'll see if I can't get some UCA clearance pics to help.

I personally went with wider tires not because of the power to overcome them. But I do enjoy spirited cornering and safe braking, where more width can definitely help.
yah I agree I think it's gonna be close and will def depend on what tire he chooses but it might work. side note the 9 inch wheel def affects where the tire sits in relation to the UCA. The backspacing of a 8.5 inch wheel and a 9 inch wheel with the same offset will be different.

Last edited:
I've got the Toyo open country M/Ts 33x12.5x20.
It seems like there's a 50/50 chance that it'll fit.
The thing is, I bought the wheel and tire combo before even considering a lift.
Would a 2" lift (OME BP-51) w/ light racing UCA solve the problem?

We should be able to get him a pretty solid answer based off of your setup since you are rolling the same wheel. He wants to roll a 12.5 inch tire, so basically a 318mm. let's call it 20mm wider than yours or 10mm per side. If you turn your steering wheel all the way do you have 10mm of clearance between your tire and the UCA? I know it's going to vary based on tire brand etc... But this should give him a pretty good idea.. thanks,

So, after turning my wheel all the way, I think 10mm is cleared but only barely. There again, I am running Nitto Ridge Grapplers with a very aggressive sidewall.

@RDR78 the lift will help keep the tires from contacting the wheel well liner when compressed. You could get away without it by using aftermarket bump stops to keep the suspension from fully compressing. just as an example, I had my regular shocks off for rebuild, and ran stock cruiser shocks with 34's for two weeks. they fit, didn't rub, but I definitely wasn't wheeling like that. I was very careful not to fully compress the suspension. It was a temporary fix.
stinkbug.png

the bigger issue you will run into is the width. A 12.50 tire typically hits the KDSS bars, and rear of the wheel well when turned. @40mm offset, you will probably still need to run a small spacer to push the wheels out away from everything. Getting the SPC upper arms is a good idea either way. They are required if you are going to add a lift, and in the mean time, they can be adjusted to "push" the wheel forward to help clear the rear of the wheel well. Go to their website and download the installation instructions. You can read how to set up the control arms so that the wheels can be moved fwd/rear as needed to clear.

@RDR78 the lift will help keep the tires from contacting the wheel well liner when compressed. You could get away without it by using aftermarket bump stops to keep the suspension from fully compressing. just as an example, I had my regular shocks off for rebuild, and ran stock cruiser shocks with 34's for two weeks. they fit, didn't rub, but I definitely wasn't wheeling like that. I was very careful not to fully compress the suspension. It was a temporary fix.
View attachment 1443354
the bigger issue you will run into is the width. A 12.50 tire typically hits the KDSS bars, and rear of the wheel well when turned. @40mm offset, you will probably still need to run a small spacer to push the wheels out away from everything. Getting the SPC upper arms is a good idea either way. They are required if you are going to add a lift, and in the mean time, they can be adjusted to "push" the wheel forward to help clear the rear of the wheel well. Go to their website and download the installation instructions. You can read how to set up the control arms so that the wheels can be moved fwd/rear as needed to clear.
Thanks TexAZ. That's certainly reassuring to know that you have 34s in there. I'll definitely consider bump stops.

I think you'll be fine, but it will be close depending on model tire. I've got about 1.5-2 fingers width clearance everywhere at the upper arm. KDSS shouldn't be an issue with 40mm offset and a 33" tire (rather than a 34").

Some pics.

tireclear1.jpg
tireclear2.jpg
tireclear3.jpg

I think you'll be fine, but it will be close depending on model tire. I've got about 1.5-2 fingers width clearance everywhere at the upper arm. KDSS shouldn't be an issue with 40mm offset and a 33" tire (rather than a 34").

Some pics.

View attachment 1443713 View attachment 1443714 View attachment 1443715
@TeCKis300 thanks for the pictures. That certainly shows a better perspective. Will go to my mechanic this weekend and see how it goes. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes and send pics as well..
Thanks as well to everyone's input. Appreciate it.

@TeCKis300 thanks for the pictures. That certainly shows a better perspective. Will go to my mechanic this weekend and see how it goes. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes and send pics as well..
Thanks as well to everyone's input. Appreciate it.
Post up some pics after ya get them slapped on! After seeing @TeCKis300 pics I think you are gonna be all up on the UCA, he is running a wheel with totally different backspacing on it. I hope I'm wrong man, but the math says you will be right against that UCA. Keep in mind you can put some wheel spacers on to push it away from the UCA but that will mean you will have to cut more fender out most likely! Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom