3 speed to 4 speed transmission swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1967 FJ40 with three speed column shift transmission. I want to switch over to 4 speed floor shift. Will a 4 speed bolt in place of 3 speed retaining current bell housing and transfer case? If so, what year 4 speed transmission should I be looking for?

No.
You need a transmission from ‘75 and up as well as the bell housing and associated clutch fork / slave, the 4 speed transfer case and 4 speed drive shafts for a bolt in swap.

Personally, I would prefer the 3 on the tree set up for aesthetic reasons.

3sp vs 4 sp
You end up with the same final drive ratio 1:1
A lot of work for not much gain

FAQ.

No.
You need a transmission from ‘75 and up as well as the bell housing and associated clutch fork / slave, the 4 speed transfer case and 4 speed drive shafts for a bolt in swap.

Personally, I would prefer the 3 on the tree set up for aesthetic reasons.

There are other options, Did this years ago using the three flywheel and all the three speed clutch parts. Also changed the input gear and other parts that ride on the tailshaft of the transmission in the transfer case to keep the lower low range. Unless your installing a package transmission transfer case your dealing with these parts anyway. To me when I did it the driveline mods and clearance issues with the floor and torque tube were a bigger deal.

As for the three speed with the column shift changing it to floor shift was the first mod I did to my 68 years ago, then later to a four speed. Back in 2011 bought a 70 with the column shift and wonder why I ever changed it in my 68.

There is nothing more comfortable in a daily driver truck than an H42 4 speed.

And I own at least one of each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom