3/69 - 9/69 carb and vacuum advance dist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just an update to close out this thread. I finished the rebuild on the late 69 carb that will replace the 3/69-9/69 carb. I sent the throttle body to JimC and he added the ported vacuum tube so I can run it with the vacuum advance distributor. Thanks again Jim!

Took me awhile to track down all the parts needed for the swap. Thanks to everyone who helped out. Here's what i needed and total cost incase anyone is thinking of doing this swap:

Late 69-73 carb
Ported vacuum throttle body
Carb insulator
Carb to manifold studs
Carb rebuild kits (I used parts from a keyster and a napa kit)
Carb to aircleaner gasket
Proper air cleaner lid to fit late 69 carb (clamp instead of stud and wingnut)
Throttle cable return spring and bracket
Throttle cable and adjusting nuts
Oem hard fuel line
New fuel filter element
New aircleaner

Total cost ~$500. Your cost might be different depending on what you find for used parts, etc.

Here`s a pics of the rebuilt late 69 carb:

i-qzkR2St-M.jpg

and installed

i-xczzsKL-L.jpg
i-6g3PmFz-M.jpg

Started right up with choke and idles great. 👍

Still need to figure out best way to reconnect the hand throttle.
What distributor are you using? I am about to embark down this path on my ‘71 that has an EMPI carb - going back to Aisin. Unsure what distributor i have. Why did you switch from vac retard to vac advance dist? Benefits of one vs the other?

Oh hey, I'm a Toyota tech.

Yes, you've got the basics. The 69-76 vac retard dissys have a bunch of mechanical advance (17*), and then the computer can pull back that timing thru vacuum to reduce NOx at high speed, high load, high temps.

Read the post above yours. Vac retard is a (poorly engineered) emissions control method.

Here are some more threads where FJ40Jim answers Dissy advance & retard:

What distributor are you using? I am about to embark down this path on my ‘71 that has an EMPI carb - going back to Aisin. Unsure what distributor i have. Why did you switch from vac retard to vac advance dist? Benefits of one vs the other?
Early model vacuum advance distributor. Runs better paired with compatible carb.

Funny how I’m just seeing this now. In my naivety I went with the oddball 6 month only carburetor on my 02/69 and have more into just getting it rebuilt than anything else.
I’m not sure if it’s the best solution but I pulled the vacuum stuff off of it and capped the distributor.
Seems to run fine for now.
I went that route because I had the air cleaner and whatnot already on a Rochester and it seemed like the simplest solution.
I still need to make a fuel line, mine is a ‘custom bent to reach’ earlier one.

IMG_6969.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom