2LT underperforms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
So I haven't been messing with the truck and have just been driving it for the past couple weeks.

It's a 1986 4runner with the early 2lt. Subaru TD04L, 2.5" straight pipe.

Turbo spools fine, just cruising it sits at 1.5psi. If I get into it, it'll push 15 no problem.

It's just so slow though. It feels like I have a massive travel trailer stuck to the truck somehow. I can give it some throttle, but 6psi is still so slow. 100km/h is a good 30 seconds to get to, and it does not like holding it.

My EGTs seem okay, light cruising at 50-60km/h is about 600⁰F. Pushing on it going up steep hills it'll go to 800-900⁰F. Rarely will it go to 1000⁰F unless I'm absolutely dogging on it.

The timing is set to factory, and I've tuned the fuel compensator to the deepest groove. If I free rev it in neutral I can get a little puff of smoke, but on the road it does not roll even the slightest.

Can I turn the fuel up a bit or should I look into something else?

All that boost and I accelerated like 20km/h

Dude.

it's a Toyota diesel, it is not fast.

I wouldn't mess with the fuel... it's a dangerous game to play.

my BJ62 will do 0-100kmh in 45 seconds.... set it, and forget it.

Maybe you should just rip the 2LT out and put something more powerful in if you aren't satisfied.

later.

Dude.

it's a Toyota diesel, it is not fast.

I wouldn't mess with the fuel... it's a dangerous game to play.

my BJ62 will do 0-100kmh in 45 seconds.... set it, and forget it.

Maybe you should just rip the 2LT out and put something more powerful in if you aren't satisfied.

later.
No need to get your feathers in a fluff

wheres your boost gauge line attached to....
if you put it on the intake manifold it may tell you a different story than hooked to the compressor outlet

I’d try turning the fuel up. Start with a 1/4 turn in. Maybe even a half turn. You can always go back. Mine averages about 20~21 sec for a 0-60mph. Mines a truck, so probably a bit lighter, but you should still be getting better than that.

Where's your EGT probe? If it's pre turbo, yes, give her a bit more fuel. 1200f shouldn't hurt it

My uneducated opinion is that you need more fuel. My stock 2L-TE would run around 8-10psi cruising at 100km/h and max out at 12psi. I never timed acceleration, but it probably wasn't far off what you're seeing in an LJ78 that probably weighed almost 1000lbs more and had an automatic.

My boost probe is tapped into the manifold
PXL_20230916_220547069.jpg

EGT Probe is pre turbo right where all the cylinders meet and go into the turbo.
PXL_20230923_185534655 (1).jpg
PXL_20230923_185018315 (1).jpg

As others commented, you just have an uber safe lean tune right now. Maybe just play with that fuel screw if you can't get more using the boost comp alone. Take a picture or mark the screw somehow first though.

2LT/2LT-II/2LTE can all make fine power. My LJ78 weighs 5000lb, and I pass 4runners all the time up long grades (22REs and 3VZEs). If that puts what you can expect into perspective. Your truck being lighter and manual trans should rip with the right tune.

My EGTs are identical to yours, but I run intercooler and 20psi, so more air for more fuel meaning still lean at more power.

fuel em up boss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom