2H Exhaust manifold fliped ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't know.
the one-piece I had on for a year did not leak.
also, most turbo kits come with a one-piece, and don't seem to leak.

J

I was looking at it from a design point of view only, not saying that one-piece manifolds were defective, or prone to problems or anything like that.

This is what i was thinking: since the exhaust manifold heats up a lot, and the cast iron expands, it seems better to reduce stress build up over the piece, and this a a 2-piece casting is a good way to do that - moreso than a one piece. Since a two-piece likely cost money to develop, and would involve two molds not one, and thus be more costly to produce, then it is likely, to my way of thinking, that they did so as a design improvement not as a cost-cutting measure. Toyota may also have been seeing a certain unacceptable percentage of failures in the one piece manifolds, over the 5 years or so they were used, to speculate a bit, that may have prompted the move to the more costly 2-piece.

I'm thinking the one piece manifold retains the built up exhaust gas pressure while the 2 piece may leak a little. Anyone see that as an issue?
BTW, I contacted Turbo-Glide in Australia. They are willing to sell their one piece manifold for the 2H for $480AUD. I like this manifold 'cause the turbine can't get any closer!

Here's a pic
Rick
turbo glide kit for 2H.jpg

BTW, I contacted Turbo-Glide in Australia. They are willing to sell their one piece manifold for the 2H for $480AUD.

Good to know .. I was no luck with TG years ago when ask for the exhaust manifold alone ..

Tapage,

Cuanto puesto for the adaptor you used to mount the turbo on Tencha? That looked very good for saving money.

Rick

I spend close to 200 bucks here in Panamá for the adapter .. sure when all stuff related was much more cheap than now.

Just curious are you going to install a heat deflector on the hood,with the turbo sitting so close to the hood is it not going to cook the paint in the area of the turbo.

Drivers side .. ? ( LHD )

Yes, driver's side for LHD - that is the normal location for the air cleaner for 2H installs in 47 series - whether LHD or RHD. It seems to me that is would be ideal to keep the air cleaner where it is, since moving it over to the other side means moving the battery as well. Do you think the turbo could be positioned in such a way as to allow the air cleaner to stay where it is?

Yes, driver's side for LHD - that is the normal location for the air cleaner for 2H installs in 47 series - whether LHD or RHD. It seems to me that is would be ideal to keep the air cleaner where it is, since moving it over to the other side means moving the battery as well. Do you think the turbo could be positioned in such a way as to allow the air cleaner to stay where it is?

Henry James!!

From experience I concur that the air cleaner can is on the drivers side on LHD 47 series trucks.

However, this rig is a 40, as noted by some photos from the earlier part of the posts by Senor Tapage. Would this detail make a difference?

Rick

I didn't realize it was a '40' - not sure if that means it was a BJ40 or an FJ40, or whether he was using the term '40' in a generic sort of way. What say Tapage?

The Fj's had a different sort of air cleaner mounted atop the engine, didn't they? Only the BJ/HJ models had that sort of cylindrical air cleaner, no?

This was a BJ40 now a HJ40 .. :D and yes we work in a alum heat shield to run on top of the turbine side ..

I'd be interested to know as well. Has anyone tried this?

Necro2.jpg

Ha ha ha, I never even looked at the date on this! :lol::lol::lol::bang::bang::bang:
Still, has anyone tried a manifold-flip turbo with the airbox still on the Passenger (RHD) side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom