2F Exhaust manifold Flange to Down Pipe Question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1/75-8/87 manifold flanges are the same, correct?

Not the down pipe, but the flange.

Now that all the down pipes are no longer available, and the design is Toyota only is this why some go to header? I could not find or my exhaust shop could not find these in any catalog.

I am having the flange made at the manifold and the one that bolts to the cat. Also thinking of making an "Off road pipe" to replace the cat with correct flanges and gaskets.

Thoughts?

Shane
DSC_0522.jpg
DSC_0523.jpg
DSC_0524.jpg

The flange is the same as fj-60 up to '87. I bought one from $OR, but I don't remember it being $73 when I bought it. I've probably got the receipt in my big stack.

Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Search On 046-05

The fj60 pipe turns to the driver's side. My muffler guy cut it really short and integrated a short section into the new pipe. He also looked for that flange in all his books to no avail.

I did not look up 60's, only 40 ad 55's

Lets say someone wanted to have complete new exhaust put on their truck and have it next to the frame rail you would need new flanges to bolt up to the manifold.

Shane, your 1/75-8/87 manifold year spread application needs narrowing down a bit as some changes were made around IIRC '79.......

What year manifold are you working with?

The flange I found on the 86 2F motors exhaust is the EXACT same as the flange that I had on my 77 2F. The earlier manifold was actually from a 76, and was the one piece design. I fabbed an exhaust from this flange, all the way back, while the earlier manifolds were still in use. I've got the 86 2F installed now and found that ZERO changes needed to be made to my exsisting down pipe. I've got 2 76s a 77 federal and now an 86 exhaust manifolds between my engine compartment and my workbech. They all have the same throat and bolt pattern going to the down pipe flange. I cannot speak to the compatibility of the 79 era.

I bought a direct fit cat for my 84 60 a couple years ago from NAPA. Flanges and gaskets were spot on, bolted up nicely, so that flange is being made by someone. Cat was smaller and more compact than original too. Suposed to be high flow, didn't seem to hurt the 60 any.

Top and bottom flange are identical right?????? Can't tell from your picture.

Here is the cat: Store Locator | NAPA Online

And here is the second piece I had to buy to mate NAPA's cat, to the muffler they sold me: Store Locator | NAPA Online

That piece may be used to start the pipe if the flanges are the same. Could also be used in a pair, welded together to eliminate the cat. They have the gaskets too. Either way, the aftermarket cat bolted right up to the stock downpipe.

All 2F's

The flange I found on the 86 2F motors exhaust is the EXACT same as the flange that I had on my 77 2F. The earlier manifold was actually from a 76, and was the one piece design. I fabbed an exhaust from this flange, all the way back, while the earlier manifolds were still in use. I've got the 86 2F installed now and found that ZERO changes needed to be made to my exsisting down pipe. I've got 2 76s a 77 federal and now an 86 exhaust manifolds between my engine compartment and my workbech. They all have the same throat and bolt pattern going to the down pipe flange. I cannot speak to the compatibility of the 79 era.

The '79 has a weird splitter, but I think about it the manifold is the same as I put '81 down pipe on a '79

so that flange is being made by someone.
Correct, but I have tried for months to find that out. The lower cat flange is symmetrical on all three bolt holes and has a recess punched into it for the gasket.

The upper is not symmetrical and that is the one that is Toyota only.

That piece may be used to start the pipe if the flanges are the same. Could also be used in a pair, welded together to eliminate the cat.

Yes that is what I am going to have made.

Shane, I will buy a few. As a die hard 2F and stock manifold fan, it will be nice to have them. I emailed ruffstuff specialties a year ago about getting them laser cut, and he never bothered to get back to me.

It would be nice to have them accept readily available exhaust tube size instead of the odd ball flared size they are now. AFAIK all manifold-pipe flanges are the same size and pattern 75-87. There are a few really oddball manifolds(CA spec) but not worth worrying about.

Shane, I will buy a few. As a die hard 2F and stock manifold fan, it will be nice to have them. I emailed ruffstuff specialties a year ago about getting them laser cut, and he never bothered to get back to me.

It would be nice to have them accept readily available exhaust tube size instead of the odd ball flared size they are now. AFAIK all manifold-pipe flanges are the same size and pattern 75-87. There are a few really oddball manifolds(CA spec) but not worth worrying about.

I think that it is a good idea to have the large opening as you can have the end flared like OE or you could use a larger dia.

I think that is the better way to go, and I am having all the design work and having quite a few done. So it will be a few weeks till I have them in my hand.

Same goes for the Cat ones as well.

I need one of these flanges to convert my 12/79 from the double under the frame down pipes to a single pipe that runs inside the frame. I planned on picking up a old used 60 piece. Any idea on the price of these? Will it just be the flange or the flange and downpipe?

I need one of these flanges to convert my 12/79 from the double under the frame down pipes to a single pipe that runs inside the frame. I planned on picking up a old used 60 piece. Any idea on the price of these? Will it just be the flange or the flange and downpipe?

Just the flange at this point.

The cat ends will cost more or less depending on what I have made. The cat flange that has the recess cannot be punched and will have to be milled in a CNC machine.

Either way I am making them to solve my problem.

Changes like this?

Shane, your 1/75-8/87 manifold year spread application needs narrowing down a bit as some changes were made around IIRC '79.......

:eek:
100108_155037 (Custom).jpg

77 Cal Spec. THAT is what the matter w/ smog gear is!

Grant,

The down pipe to manifold should all be the same other than that CA 40 series model.
photo(20).jpg

Will you be selling these?

it's been 13 YEARS , 41 days and 4.20 metric hours since EVERYONE's favorite SOLID MUD BUDDY @EWheeler , and well my extra special I.L.C. ( Iridium Level Client ) to of course .....:D:beer:
made that last hopefull post lost in time till , as we like to say at the
SKUNK-WORKS Labrotory. " We Re-Wind Time "
so here we are and there we go ....:popcorn:

The Evolution of the 3-Bolt FLANGE 2F Engine
Exhaust Manifold Front Down Pipe
Has Taken one Giant Leap Foward for all
2F kind
to
.304 Stainless Steel and 10mm THICK !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom