2f Distributor Question....Same one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw this on Ebay and wondered if anyone knew anything about it?
I got if for my daughters FJ60 and when we received it,...the unit is much smaller than the original.
Is it still going to work or what?...came in Toyota Box, similar, just smaller. Also, no mounting collar on it. I thought it would be a straight swap and we could repair/sell the old one... kind of bummed about this. Any help or Any thoughts?

The add claimed it was a fit.

"OEM 2F 3F Distributor for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 FJ62 70 Series FZJ80"

IMG_0362.JPG

Mounting collar of old distributor

IMG_0364.JPG

New distributor with no mounting collar
IMG_0365.JPG

Size difference

IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG

Looks like an FJ40 distributor. They use a steel clamp that pinches the shaft. Should work on your 60, but the large cap one is mo' betta.

It's the distributor used on carb'd 60-series for outside N. American markets. USA large-cap style in NLA. Sold by Racer65. Can be used with your 60 with some mods. It's a beautiful, high-quality distributor.

I believe it takes a 40-series type dissy clamp that @Racer65 sells on his website, www.cityracerllc.com

It's a points dissy, but can be converted to electronic with a Pertronix kit from www.marksoffroad.net .

I have one, but it's sitting on the shelf and have not tried installing so I don't know what's involved with modifying to make work. If you install a Pertronix kit, probably not much.

IMG_0381_large.JPG

Oh, and will not be smog-legal if you need to be.

Will most likely not pass smog with that dissy, unless tech knows nothing and you're very lucky or your truck has a thirst for denatured alcohol. Personally, since you need to be smog-legal, I would resell that unit and find a good used FJ60 dissy and have it rebuilt by FJ40Jim.

I have one for when I move to somewhere where greedy corrupt narcissistic imbeciles don't run the Gov't ... Or is that belief moot? :deadhorse:

Oh, and will not be smog-legal if you need to be.
Correct. That's the first line in the tech description: For desmogged applications only. It's also noted that "Must use an updated 19905-40010 distributor clamp".

Your original "big cap" electronic dizzy is discontinued. This is a mid-cap points distributor that's used in overseas markets on the 60 Series.

Last edited:
my question would be....... what is wrong with your original distributor?

why did you want to trade it out?

my question would be....... what is wrong with your original distributor?

why did you want to trade it out?
It is for my daughters FJ60... there was not one on it.. the one in the photo is mine... pulled it to clean up and repair...also swapping out the cracked cap...

Will most likely not pass smog with that dissy, unless tech knows nothing and you're very lucky or your truck has a thirst for denatured alcohol. Personally, since you need to be smog-legal, I would resell that unit and find a good used FJ60 dissy and have it rebuilt by FJ40Jim.

I have one for when I move to somewhere where greedy corrupt narcissistic imbeciles don't run the Gov't ... Or is that belief moot? :deadhorse:
I am in agreement...

Most if not all smog techs have no idea what a 2F distributor looks like. I'd install it and test it. It certainly looks original. If the engine runs fine and timing is right, I can't see how it would fail a smog test. Spark is spark.

Probably the reason it is not smog legal is because there's a law that forbids "tampering" with any smog equipment. So technically, swapping in a non original distributor would be considered "tampering" so by definition it would be illegal... Not necessarily because it creates higher emissions.

Also for legal reasons, anyone selling one of these distributors has to state "Not Smog Legal" to avoid law suits and CARB paying them a visit.

Most if not all smog techs have no idea what a 2F distributor looks like. I'd install it and test it. It certainly looks original. If the engine runs fine and timing is right, I can't see how it would fail a smog test. Spark is spark.

Probably the reason it is not smog legal is because there's a law that forbids "tampering" with any smog equipment. So technically, swapping in a non original distributor would be considered "tampering" so by definition it would be illegal... Not necessarily because it creates higher emissions.

Also for legal reasons, anyone selling one of these distributors has to state "Not Smog Legal" to avoid law suits and CARB paying them a visit.
Thanks, @Output Shaft, This makes sense to me. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom