Builds 2F + (3F-E) = 2FETI Into My FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you could find a way to fit it an intercooler from a chevy 6.6 duramax is massive and has loads of cooling power.

Water intercooler is an excellent idea..
It was what I was thinking just after typing my last statement.

Why not an intercooler and water injection? Unless you move the bib forward I don't know where a intercooler would fit on the front of a 40 unless you mounted it into the hood.

yea.... it was occuring to me that an intercooler up front in a cruiser might have some issues with mud etc. A clogged intercooler isn't going to do you much good.
I was thinking the exact same thing! :D mounting in the hood or somewhere and putting a good 12v fan on it. if you don't need your heater, you could build a ducted intake from that side opening so you aren't getting engine compartment heat...

interesting.....

Are you getting a custom intake made? Perhaps you could have a air-to-water intercooler built into the plenum, like a wider version of the stock plenum. Let me search for how those are made, a lot of the newer roots blowers have a lower manifold with a cooler built into it. Or you could run freon through it like the ford lightings haha.

Screw it. Buy a helicopter. You'll never make that Cruiser go where a copter will, no matter what you do to the pile of junk.
Mark...
Actually, if I won the lotto, I'd buy an old C130 HerkyBird, cause it can carry many cruisers, people & camping gear and fly farther & faster than a chopper, but still land on a crappy little runway. or pasture. or sandbar....:D

Or, another good place to put an intercooler would be where the massive stock air cleaner goes. Since you would need to have whatever filter you have on the intake side of the turbo which im assuming will be on the drivers side, you could have to boost run across the top of the motor to one of those large, square coolers with dual inlets on top,and then run the intake almost like stock from the passenger fender to the manifold. It wouldnt be as big of a deal to have the cooler inside where is gets hot since you could put the reservoir for the cooler someplace isolated from the heat, since its the water in that style of cooler that does the cooling not just the airflow through the core carrying the heat away.

-Matt

Time to go and pic then engine up:bounce:

Well the 3F-E has landed Tks Rob for drinking my beer oh and the lift off the trailer
Not bad for $300Aus complete.
Anyway stripped the head down inlet manifold and exhaust. Would have been nice if the unit was all in one peice but cant grumble at the price. the EFI had been removed and all the vacume lines pulled plus a few other bits. Will have fun putting it back together
100_1633.jpg

But on the whole the head looks good no black oily cylinders either.
The head will make a trip to work for a good clean up in our industrial tool washing machine :idea:

Just need to score a 2F head gasket to check that all is as it should be compared to the 3F-E one. Every one says it matches but no way I'm shelling large out to find out it has issues
But let the fun begin

Last edited:
Felpro headgasket for the (late) 2F and the 3F is the same one.

Mark...

Felpro headgasket for the (late) 2F and the 3F is the same one.
Mark...
Same deal at toyota. The 85-87 2F headgasket partnumber has superseded to the 88-92 3FE number.
And it's $20 cheaper now.:bounce:

Same deal at toyota. The 85-87 2F headgasket partnumber has superseded to the 88-92 3FE number.
And it's $20 cheaper now.:bounce:

As far as I can see the part number for a 1980 2F is the same as the 3F-E

The manifold gsket is different on the intake but my headers will bolt up as the exhaust ports are the same.

Just a pity the ceramic coated headers are of no use as I will need new custom built ones for the Turbo

Well the the head is SPANKIN and off the the engine builders on Monday.

The injection rail came up well too, just have to sort out what injectors we are to use to suit the Turbo

Before

After

Last edited:
interesting
tho your wasting a heap of money to run petrol aswell as lpg
your entire lpg setup is gonna have to be replaced the only things you will keep are the tank and lines

will need a new converter and mixer as the setup you have atm wont support boost

go straight lpg using gas research bits $700 or so for all fueling issues solved

theres enmough servos in oz that have lpg that you dont need petrol

interesting
tho your wasting a heap of money to run petrol aswell as lpg
your entire lpg setup is gonna have to be replaced the only things you will keep are the tank and lines

will need a new converter and mixer as the setup you have atm wont support boost

go straight lpg using gas research bits $700 or so for all fueling issues solved

theres enmough servos in oz that have lpg that you dont need petrol

I have yet to find a servo out bush that sells LPG other wise it would be an easy one and yes stright gas would then be the go with twin tanks. LPG is a plenty in the city but as you well know this is no Toorak tractor.
All ready relaised that we will have to repalce much of the LPG system:mad:
So for now the truck will be built around running Gas (Petrol) until the turbo instalation is complete then the Propane (LPG) added back in for economy.
I agree with your sentiments and in an ideal world multipoint LPG injection would be my fist choise turboed.
Some trips still require both full tanks and 40lts of jerry cans over a long weeekend bush.

Matt, can you indulge us and translate to 'merrikun English?
"I have yet to find a servo out bush that sells LPG."
"LPG is a plenty in the city but as you well know this is no Toorak tractor."
:confused:

Matt, can you indulge us and translate to 'merrikun English?
"I have yet to find a servo out bush that sells LPG."
"LPG is a plenty in the city but as you well know this is no Toorak tractor."
:confused:

I have yet to find a gas station in the middle of no where that sells Propane.
Propane is eaisly found in the city but as you well know this is not a Beverly hills Hummer:grinpimp:

Think that translates pretty well

Oh yes the heads all good no cracks :cool:

Cleaned a few more parts and dint they come up well:idea:

Last edited:
Check your sig line on that last picture..... I bet she's complaining now! Nice dishwasher...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom