22RE Ignition Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings mudders,

About 3 months ago I picked up a 1991 toyota pickup with the 22RE and I love it but it needs some work. I am having some kind of ignition problem at the moment where once the engine bay heats up the truck starts misfiring horribly and shooting clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust and doesn't want to idle. It runs PERFECTLY when the engine bay is still cold. Once the engine warms up as well, If you turn it off and let it sit for a while and go to restart it, it will start if you gas it, but sometimes dies out and needs a try or 2 more. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, and ignition coil and the issue remains the same at this point which points me in 2 directions - magnetic pickup or ignition module. Ignition modules for these trucks are VERY hard to come by, especially the 90-91 model years so I just wanted to chime in and get some ideas/advice on things I could do to get my baby running right. I looked into the GM ignition swap but that only works for 22R's apparently. I was on ebay and noticed some 92-95 year chinesium ignition modules but they look slightly different than the one mine has, would it work if I ordered one and rigged it up? Could I possibly do a 1992+ ignition conversion so that I have more options for replacing that part? Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!

are you sure you don't have an injector going?

ime the pickup is go/nogo.

you can convert. the ignition system is the same. plugs changed.

Last edited:

I havent checked the injectors yet, but that is also a possibility. The engine has bad valve seals on the #4 cylinder so it burns a little oil too, maybe that could be clogging an injector and making it run weird? The weird thing for me is just how well it runs when its cold and then goes straight to heck once its warm. And thanks for the info on the magnetic pickup. I am going to buy one of those chinese ignition modules and throw it in to see if she if that cleans it up. They're dirt cheap and if it doesnt fix it ill have it on hand for future use.

It also only shoots clouds of black smoke when you try to accelerate at certain times and the power "cuts out" like you can feel the power coming on and off, even if you hold the pedal steady and usually wont rev over a certain RPM. Today it did it and wouldn't let the engine over 3k rpm and when i let the clutch out it was super low on power.

im not trying to throw you off just adding.
failure when hot should show up pretty easily checking resistance of questionable electronics.

ive seen like 3 bad ignitors in 25 years.

i had a bad injector do some bizarre shyt before too.

try replacing the o2 sensor and test the others like temp sensor etc. when the engine is cold it's not relying on sensors (open loop) until it reaches operating temp (closed loop)

try replacing the o2 sensor and test the others like temp sensor etc. when the engine is cold it's not relying on sensors (open loop) until it reaches operating temp (closed loop)
Chris beat me to it. I would replace the Ox sensor. Use Denso. You can get them cheap from Rockauto.com./

Chris beat me to it. I would replace the Ox sensor. Use Denso. You can get them cheap from Rockauto.com./
Im gonna order one tonight and see if that helps. I am worried that the oil the engine is burning will clog it up but I need something to keep the truck a little more driveable until the winter is over. Thank you for your recommendation, I read your build thread on the 1985 4runner, thing badass.

I read your build thread on the 1985 4runner, thing badass.
Geez, I need to do another update. As I said, these trucks are never done, they evolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom