Builds 2019 GXOR 460 HB build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back in early May KAON said they would do shipping discounts if someone wanted to order multiple for a group buy. I did this with my KAON table (bought 2 and shared the shipping cost with another local).

Pricing is in AUD / Currently $1 AUD = $0.70 USD

"UPS Shipping costs are as follows:

1 off $140 AUD
2 off $180 AUD ($90 AUD per shelf)
3 off $230 AUD ($77 AUD per shelf)
6 off $430 AUD ($72 AUD per shelf)
9 off $630 AUD ($70 AUD per shelf)

The reason for those quantities is that the maximum a courier can carry without them being on pallet/skid is 25kg.
So we can only strap together 3 cartons together which totals 20kg.
Ordering in multiples of 3 is the most ideal way to ship "

I can’t wait to get mine, looks great and should make for a great fishing rod holder too! Thanks for posting these pics.

Gents, after scouring the internet for the last couple days looking for info on GX builds I was relieved to find this forum. Tons of great info. I started at the beginning and and read all the way through. @spadeupsleeve, thanks for sharing your build experience. Really helpful...

I’m looking to start a build on a 17 and was curious what you would recommend as far as staging this build out over a couple years. In full disclosure I am not real experienced with this stuff so please forgive any novice questions. I’m not looking to go rock crawling or do any serious off road stuff. We do a lot of camping and try to get back to some remote areas that can get a little tricky. We are typically following my buddies who all have Raptors which I refuse to buy. I’m typically able to keep up but bottom out more often than I would like.

This will continue to be my daily driver so some balance of improved off-road capability without sacrificing to much day to day ride comfort would be Ideal. Aethstecis definitely matter. I love the look of the GXOR concept. Particularly the CBI gear. I was also wondering about the Icon suspension system that Lexus put on the concept. The local shop that will be doing my build uses Icon on all their builds so I’m just trying to get some info on them.

If this follows my typical pattern I will go overboard and build something far beyond my needs. We love our 460 and the idea of building it out is super exciting. Definitely willing to spend a little extra to get it done right.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Gents, after scouring the internet for the last couple days looking for info on GX builds I was relieved to find this forum. Tons of great info. I started at the beginning and and read all the way through. @spadeupsleeve, thanks for sharing your build experience. Really helpful...

I’m looking to start a build on a 17 and was curious what you would recommend as far as staging this build out over a couple years. In full disclosure I am not real experienced with this stuff so please forgive any novice questions. I’m not looking to go rock crawling or do any serious off road stuff. We do a lot of camping and try to get back to some remote areas that can get a little tricky. We are typically following my buddies who all have Raptors which I refuse to buy. I’m typically able to keep up but bottom out more often than I would like.

This will continue to be my daily driver so some balance of improved off-road capability without sacrificing to much day to day ride comfort would be Ideal. Aethstecis definitely matter. I love the look of the GXOR concept. Particularly the CBI gear. I was also wondering about the Icon suspension system that Lexus put on the concept. The local shop that will be doing my build uses Icon on all their builds so I’m just trying to get some info on them.

If this follows my typical pattern I will go overboard and build something far beyond my needs. We love our 460 and the idea of building it out is super exciting. Definitely willing to spend a little extra to get it done right.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Hey Matt, I'm really new to all of this as well so was pretty much in the same boat as you when I started. My recommendation is to go slow and make sure whatever you're doing is functional for what you really need. As I understand it, the best place to start is tires/wheels, as you'll see a huge improvement in performance with that. My own application is a lot of snowboard resort destinations -- but I also live in socal and don't want dedicated snow tires since I am only in the snow when I go snowboarding. So I read countless reviews on the best all terrain for ice and snow, that led me to the falken wildpeaks. Next in importance I think would be suspension. As far as suspension/bumpers etc, there are a lot of good threads on here with different approaches and different products. I'd read through them to get people's experiences and also ask yourself what you really need for your specific application. This is how I decided on a lot of my components, through reading other's experiences (i.e. Dobinsons and SSO). I also liked the GXOR concept, so decided to go with a build loosely based on it. Careful, it's easy to slip into going overboard, that's what happened to me hahaha.

Last edited:
Good feedback. If figured that wheels/tires and suspension would be the starting point. Just trying to avoid any big mistakes...

I am poking around in the other forums as we speak. Really helpful.

Thanks for the response!

M

Just trying to avoid any big mistakes...

That's a good goal. I made a couple mistakes due to changing my mind on the direction of my build. I should have taken things more slowly. This is why I think it's best to drive the vehicle for awhile before going crazy with a build. I purchased my vehicle about a year ago and began building on it after about 3 months. In retrospect, I should have probably waited until about 6+ months at least. That said, the first things I did greatly improved the perfomance - basic dobinsons lift kit and better tires. Once I had the falkens on, getting through ice and snow was a cake walk.

I would suggest doing sliders early if you are going to take it off road. When I did the build on my 80 series over a decade ago I did lift, tires and sliders at the same time, before bumpers, etc. First time out on the trail the sliders paid for themselves. Rocker damage will ruin a vehicle. I put sliders on my Tundra before I took it out too. Both of these vehicles dont get wheeled that hard but I never have to worry about it. I'll do the same for my wife's newly acquired GX460 once she is ready to do anything to it.

I save the stupid stuff for my crawler.

I would suggest doing sliders early if you are going to take it off road. When I did the build on my 80 series over a decade ago I did lift, tires and sliders at the same time, before bumpers, etc. First time out on the trail the sliders paid for themselves. Rocker damage will ruin a vehicle. I put sliders on my Tundra before I took it out too. Both of these vehicles dont get wheeled that hard but I never have to worry about it. I'll do the same for my wife's newly acquired GX460 once she is ready to do anything to it.

I save the stupid stuff for my crawler.
Good advice! That seems like an easy edition.

I agree with all this advice. Make sure you know what you want to do with the truck so you don’t wind up buying stuff that looks cool but doesn’t work for your purpose.

Got my shelf already, so it looks like I’ll have a fun weekend project. Do you know what size the bolts are? I’m going to order up those 1” washers.

Got my shelf already, so it looks like I’ll have a fun weekend project. Do you know what size the bolts are? I’m going to order up those 1” washers.

It comes with the hardware you need, you just use the same bolts for the bracket that attach the handles. I don't recall the size of those bolts, but the washers I used were 1/4" x 1" OD

Last edited:
Just got the orangeboxx molle panels. Looks like unfortunately the bracket hole spacing is different than the Kaon shelf so will need to do a bit of drilling. We're about to close on a house here, so will probably wait until we move to get this project done.

IMG_0386.jpg

Is that bare metal or gray finish?

Just moved into our new home. First thing to check -- garage clearance obviously! Glad there was enough clearance there. Downside is a rooftop tent definitely won't fit. Looks like a new garage door purchase is going to be on my list of things to replace.

IMG_0395.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom