Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I just bought myself a 2017 VDJ79 double cab with 117k kms on it. It’s Dubai spec, manual roll down windows and such, with the stripped down cluster gauge. Looks like the camel is of similar spec. I’m very interested in swapping out the gauge panel for the one with RPM, oil pressure, water temp, etc, as well as going to power windows. Do you know how much of a mission this would be? Is it a matter of a different wiring harness, or is it likely wired for this stuff, just the mechanicals and switches that need doing?
Power windows is a different harness, there is a power window ECU. The pictures may actually be of the door security ECU but I just can't quite remember. You'll get the idea though.

20210623_193019.jpg

20210623_193014.jpg

That sub-tank gauge though… 😍 Hell, the whole cluster gauge. I’ve got the super simple, you don’t need to know RPM’s or oil pressure gauge... Just speed, fuel and battery voltage. 🙄

Bro, this is an 80-series chassis, this bumper is made for a 79-series chassis.

Our build is a 79-series body on an 80-series chassis (frame) custom fab is required. 😉

Cheers

So...79.5 series?

Constantly impressed with your builds sir.

There should be a directory of all your past conquests for prosperity sake.

Nice bult SLNC,
I know an old man here in europe who have done that several times but mostly with the FT engine to simplifed the built.
You should probably have discovered it but the best way for the wiring harnesses are those from the HDJ79, with little mods for RHD to LHD and the cluster.
Have you find the ECU yet ? Most 7 series with 1HD-FTE are in australia and where delivered from 2004 to 2007 but you could find parts on Craiglist.
That's why for mine I have preferred to stay on the original frame even if width is narrower.
For the engine it's not really complicated to instal the FT pump on the FTE, just little work on the oil pump but both injection pump have its advantages and disadvantages
But what you have choose for your built permited you to optimised the settings on the pump easily.
Happy to see this thread !

Nice bult SLNC,
I know an old man here in europe who have done that several times but mostly with the FT engine to simplifed the built.
You should probably have discovered it but the best way for the wiring harnesses are those from the HDJ79, with little mods for RHD to LHD and the cluster.
Have you find the ECU yet ? Most 7 series with 1HD-FTE are in australia and where delivered from 2004 to 2007 but you could find parts on Craiglist.
That's why for mine I have preferred to stay on the original frame even if width is narrower.
For the engine it's not really complicated to instal the FT pump on the FTE, just little work on the oil pump but both injection pump have its advantages and disadvantages
But what you have choose for your built permited you to optimised the settings on the pump easily.
Happy to see this thread !

We did an FTE swap in the owner of this Cruiser 80-series as well. I am a fan of the FTE, FT as well but the FTE is just so smooth and good in a variety of ways. ECU is from a HDJ79. We also have some Russain spec HDJ100 ECUs that never came with an immobilizer. Wiring harnesses are all new in this build, from Toyota. Engine harness is a modified HDJ79/78, cowl/dash harness is a HZJ7x, cab and rear chassis are GR & HZJ 70-series. It is what we were able to source new. The cluster is GR79, it is new as well and was sent to us early on before the build even started or we had the harnesses. We are going through all the harnesses and mating them up, many wires de-pinned and moved and lots lots more. In the end though it will be all new harnesses that mate up using Toyota connections.

Sure the tach is off redline wise but if we can make it work why not use it? Finding a new HZJ78/79 cluster just to have the correct red line? We could but the clusters cost a fair share too.

Cheers

We did an FTE swap in the owner of this Cruiser 80-series as well. I am a fan of the FTE, FT as well but the FTE is just so smooth and good in a variety of ways. ECU is from a HDJ79. We also have some Russain spec HDJ100 ECUs that never came with an immobilizer. Wiring harnesses are all new in this build, from Toyota. Engine harness is a modified HDJ79/78, cowl/dash harness is a HZJ7x, cab and rear chassis are GR & HZJ 70-series. It is what we were able to source new. The cluster is GR79, it is new as well and was sent to us early on before the build even started or we had the harnesses. We are going through all the harnesses and mating them up, many wires de-pinned and moved and lots lots more. In the end though it will be all new harnesses that mate up using Toyota connections.

Sure the tach is off redline wise but if we can make it work why not use it? Finding a new HZJ78/79 cluster just to have the correct red line? We could but the clusters cost a fair share too.

Cheers
Hi SNLC,
Old clusters with engine rev's where mount on HZJ74 and HDJ7# : IMO best suited on your mods. You can find them in GCC market for cheap.
I never seen the connectors on the new post 2007 yet but have a good knowledge of the manfacturer "mindeset" and the best is to compare wiring diagrams of before and post 2007 ( I've the 99 to 07 but in paper so not easy to share).
About the FTE there's plenty of evolutions that make this one appart from the FT and the historical point is that Toyota change their engine production facilty in Japan between those two engines.
That was commun on brand new FT to find muds on the engine coolant circuit due to a bad washing of the block on after the casting process ( I've not seen it but this was from the only person I know who have visited this production facility).
I'll share you later the differences between the four evoltions of the FTE.
Regards.

Hi SNLC,
Old clusters with engine rev's where mount on HZJ74 and HDJ7# : IMO best suited on your mods. You can find them in GCC market for cheap.
I never seen the connectors on the new post 2007 yet but have a good knowledge of the manfacturer "mindeset" and the best is to compare wiring diagrams of before and post 2007 ( I've the 99 to 07 but in paper so not easy to share).
About the FTE there's plenty of evolutions that make this one appart from the FT and the historical point is that Toyota change their engine production facilty in Japan between those two engines.
That was commun on brand new FT to find muds on the engine coolant circuit due to a bad washing of the block on after the casting process ( I've not seen it but this was from the only person I know who have visited this production facility).
I'll share you later the differences between the four evoltions of the FTE.
Regards.
This truck is a brand new 2018 model and it’s been pretty critical to use a brand new cluster on this truck. I already have this exact same engine/trans combo in another truck and redline is around 4000. There really is no reason to take this engine over 3200 RPM - I don’t need the redline to tell me that.

There are a heck of a lot of 79 series with FTEs and 1VDs (and probably all sorts of others) that did not even have tachs from the factory. It’s just not necessary and I would rather have the new tach even if the redline is not precisely correct for the engine.

What a fantastic way to salvage the ugliest factory bumper this side of a Pontiac Aztek.

Now I wanna steal this idea as I have two of those bumpers in boxes.

As usual, next level, Ian.

What a fantastic way to salvage the ugliest factory bumper this side of a Pontiac Aztek.

Now I wanna steal this idea as I have two of those bumpers in boxes.

As usual, next level, Ian.
What’s the stock one look like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom