2017 what have you done to your 4 x 4 lately? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice grab.. I believe Jobe has been looking for some 38 swampers if you are not wanting to use them.

Definitely selling the extra wheels and tires on the trailer...38.5" Super Swampers mounted on what appears to be new white wagon wheels (15" 8x6.5") Dyna-beads installed. Probably also sell the near new 42x15x15 Pit Bull Rockers with the bead-locks (steel 8x6.5 w/ aluminum rings). Hard for me to justify keeping a toy to use a couple times a year so will likely end up with a 40" steel belted mud tire (STT Pros) on 17" aluminum bead-locks to make it more street-able for us...gotta be able to drive to the mall and to work :) Hate to tear up those awesome Pit-Bulls on the pavement. The rig is considerably more hardcore than me.

Got the Total Chaos long travel on the FJ couple weeks ago. Will need some action shots. I will hate myself if it doesn't flex out well!

20180626_181538.jpg

Did I see you at 169 and 175th? I was in a dark blue 80. The FJ I saw was heading south with a nice fat stance. In my head I thought that had to have a long travel kit on it

Got the Total Chaos long travel on the FJ couple weeks ago. Will need some action shots. I will hate myself if it doesn't flex out well!

View attachment 1734516

Yeah I saw you! That's a good looking 80 series you have! I'm anxious to try it out. Long travel is all new to me. Still trying to figure out if it'll flex. When i jack it up on one corner. Still doesn't tuck up like I thought it would. Not sure if I have to have weight on the opposite rear corner? It's running no sways.

Finally got around to installing the lift I bought 9 months ago......

OME 850's in front
OME 863's in rear
OME Nitro 60070 shocks in front
OME Nitro 60020 shocks in rear

It took me about 8.5 hours by myself in the driveway where it sits. The rear was 6 hours but included time to drill and tap one bolt that broke off for installing a new bump stop and about an hour's worth of drilling for a bolt on the main bumpstop inside the spring until I decided to give up because the bolt was so hard. I was going to install a couple shortened bump stops to help my airbags with the lift.

I will post real after measurements in about a week when the suspension settles in a little.

I'm delighted with the ride and the lift. I am guessing about 3" of net lift due to the saggy worn out old springs. Turns out the old shocks were rusted out as well.
Before:
Before.jpg

After:
After.jpg

Pics from our adventure. Love the water dispenser from Walmart $8.
E63F02A6-6487-45AB-AD53-621D1CB2B713.jpeg
1D60E289-A9BE-46C3-95BA-BCD5751C885C.jpeg
7EAD57EA-A949-4BD7-ACD3-5B5CCFEBA67D.jpeg
62D714F5-52FC-473A-AA19-D582E9BE5BD5.jpeg

I finally got around to my temp gauge mod and in the process, polished up the old lens that somehow had hazy bubbles all over from what looked like an adverse chemical reaction.

I drove out to New Mexico for a little camping trip with my dog with the incentive of picking up a Slee Shortbus from @Tank5. The 80 handled the drive great until about 4 hours away from home on the return... I noticed an odd burning smell (which may have been the truck in front of me) and then for just a second or two, what appeared to be smoke or fog coming out of my AC vents (although I could have imagined this because I can't think of any logical explanation). Temp and oil pressure looked great but I pulled over immediately and shut off the engine to investigate.

Regardless of whether the symptoms were imagined or not, I found that some coolant had been leaking from a silicon-slathered freeze plug on driver's side of the engine. The overflow tank still had coolant in it and the temp never spiked once. I took it really slow for the rest of the drive without issue. According to my quick research, it looks like it's not uncommon for the block to crack in this spot. I took some time today with a toothbrush and razor blade to clean the area and sure enough.... it's cracked (the other line in the photo is a gouge from before the silicon was applied). Judging by the silicon, this has been an issue for a while.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable Toyota shop that might be willing to take on this repair? Or at least tell me definitively that I need a new motor if that's what it comes down to

IMG_4920.JPG
InkedIMG_5010_LI.jpg

I finally got around to my temp gauge mod and in the process, polished up the old lens that somehow had hazy bubbles all over from what looked like an adverse chemical reaction.

I drove out to New Mexico for a little camping trip with my dog with the incentive of picking up a Slee Shortbus from @Tank5. The 80 handled the drive great until about 4 hours away from home on the return... I noticed an odd burning smell (which may have been the truck in front of me) and then for just a second or two, what appeared to be smoke or fog coming out of my AC vents (although I could have imagined this because I can't think of any logical explanation). Temp and oil pressure looked great but I pulled over immediately and shut off the engine to investigate.

Regardless of whether the symptoms were imagined or not, I found that some coolant had been leaking from a silicon-slathered freeze plug on driver's side of the engine. The overflow tank still had coolant in it and the temp never spiked once. I took it really slow for the rest of the drive without issue. According to my quick research, it looks like it's not uncommon for the block to crack in this spot. I took some time today with a toothbrush and razor blade to clean the area and sure enough.... it's cracked (the other line in the photo is a gouge from before the silicon was applied). Judging by the silicon, this has been an issue for a while.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable Toyota shop that might be willing to take on this repair? Or at least tell me definitively that I need a new motor if that's what it comes down to

View attachment 1745330 View attachment 1745331

I have heard of many people grind a "V" in an issue like this and use JBWeld and never have an issue again.

View attachment 1745330 View attachment 1745331
My 93 leaks from the same spot. Good for me to see what the issue most likely is. In 5 years it has never lost enough coolant to affect anything. Just the unsightly gnarly looking goop of coolant that sticks to the block right there. I may try the JB Weld repair down the road, once I've buttoned up my other little issues.

pics of nc trip.
P6270050.JPG
P6270067.JPG
P6300039.jpg
P6300048.jpg
P7020244.JPG

more pics
P6270056.JPG
P6270080.JPG
P6290157.JPG
P6300052.jpg
P7020071.jpg

Stopped by stompers bc metalcloak brought out their articulation machine. Definitely have too stiff of springs up front to stuff the tires all the way. But I'm also running no sways so it works out. I'm still happy with it. Next will be a LT rear. It was a Jeep event and I was definitely taking in the abuse! All in good fun though.

20180724_184005.jpg

20180724_183938.jpg

Bit of bad luck with Advanced Auto batteries. Had one cell go bad in Boost's 27F battery, about 8 months out of 3 year warranty of course, so swapped the battery out of Foo, and it was bad too. same 27F from Advanced auto about 11 months out of warranty.

Plan to go to costco and get one of their interstate batteries, and may look at AGM.

Anyone have recommendations?

I’ve been running odyssey great luck with mine

I had a hard time tracking down at 27F at Costco for my 100 last winter, I ended up replacing the 8 year old Toyota battery with a new one from Toyota that has an 84 month warranty. I think it was $119 from Molle. I also had an issue with the advanced auto battery failing shortly after the 3 year warranty was up on my 80 and did get a 24F from Costco, no complaints after 2 years with that one.

i killed my AGM in the 45 but my fault i think.. now have a ctek charger that stays plugged in. Need to see if it will hold a charge now or not.
Curious if Costco has one that fits the AGM Deka style http://www.trail-gear.com/PDF/battery-applications.pdf
RIght now i have the Oriley version.
If they do report back as i will need one and frequent costcow weekly for bananas and pickup a chicken for $5. My mower now has a costco battery in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom