2011 vs 2013 LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd take my 10 year old LX over a 2015 GX. Huge difference between them.
What if the GX is Premium vs a Base LX? Right now, I'm looking at:
  1. 2010 GX 460 Premium with 62k miles @ $23K asking price
  2. 2011 LX 570 Base with 47k miles @ $38k asking price.
I already know I prefer the LX, but wondering if it's worth the $15k price difference. I'm also not sure how extreme the Base (LX) vs Premium (GX) will be.

Thanks for the input.

What if the GX is Premium vs a Base LX? Right now, I'm looking at:
  1. 2010 GX 460 Premium with 62k miles @ $23K asking price
  2. 2011 LX 570 Base with 47k miles @ $38k asking price.
I already know I prefer the LX, but wondering if it's worth the $15k price difference. I'm also not sure how extreme the Base (LX) vs Premium (GX) will be.

Thanks for the input.

Any trim, doesn’t matter. It could have rocket boosters and I’d still prefer the LX. I hate the interior on the GX and hate the tailgate. It feels old, it’s slow, it gets bad mpg for its size, I think it’s ugly, it’s overpriced, it’s too small on the inside...should I continue? ;)

Any trim, doesn’t matter. It could have rocket boosters and I’d still prefer the LX. I hate the interior on the GX and hate the tailgate. It feels old, it’s slow, it gets bad mpg for its size, I think it’s ugly, it’s overpriced, it’s too small on the inside...should I continue? ;)
Yes, please continue!! I appreciate your input. If money wasn’t an option I’d get the LX without question. I like the look better and everything else.

Yeah, I noticed that. It is one of the negatives for sure, just not sure it's worth the $10-$15k price difference.

I test drove the 2016 GX several times. I didn’t like it. If you fold the 2nd and 3rd row, the GX only has 60 cu ft of cargo room, the 200 has 80. I need that extra room when I’m traveling.

I don’t like the side hinged rear door, but that is admittedly a taste thing.

I found visibility to be poor in the GX. The window in the rear door is small. The D-pillars are large. The belt line is high. The roof is relatively low. The 200 just seems to me to have better visibility all around.

The GX’s engine is certainly smooth, but response off the line seems soft, as though it doesn’t have much low-end torque.

The GX doesn’t have much ground clearance, and with the new grill the approach angle is horrid. With the LX, at least you have AHC that will give you some lift off-road. The GX in contrast can only lift the rear, not the front.

You can’t remove the 3rd row seats in the GX — if you do, the interior panels will end several inches above the floor.

I found the driver’s seat to be uncomfortable. It felt as though there was a stiff ridge around the edge of the seat bottom.

I was looking at new 2016 GX460s. I found a used 2013 Landcruiser for the same price. I much prefer the 200. YMMV.

We have a 2016 LC and 2018 GX "Luxury" and have some experience with the LX via LCDC and some friends. Hands down the LX is a better vehicle and is definitely worth the extra cash. The wife looked at the LX and the GX and went with the GX as she perceived it to be smaller, more manageable vehicle for SF / San Jose / Bay Area driving/commuting.

Both of us like the GX but I think we'd either go with the LX or something smaller/sportier if we had it to do over again. I've done some light offroading with it and found it to be pretty capable. Even in its stock form I'm sure it'd go most of the places the modified LC would, but so would many other vehicles. The most surprising aspect of the GX is that the V8 feels more like a V6. The fit and finish is definitely a step above the RX and much, much nicer than a 4runner, though even the decked-out GX is going to feel like little league compared to the LX.

@Rhythmdoctor Test drive both if you haven't already. Get the vehicle you want.

I test drove the 2016 GX several times. I didn’t like it. If you fold the 2nd and 3rd row, the GX only has 60 cu ft of cargo room, the 200 has 80. I need that extra room when I’m traveling.

I don’t like the side hinged rear door, but that is admittedly a taste thing.

I found visibility to be poor in the GX. The window in the rear door is small. The D-pillars are large. The belt line is high. The roof is relatively low. The 200 just seems to me to have better visibility all around.

The GX’s engine is certainly smooth, but response off the line seems soft, as though it doesn’t have much low-end torque.

The GX doesn’t have much ground clearance, and with the new grill the approach angle is horrid. With the LX, at least you have AHC that will give you some lift off-road. The GX in contrast can only lift the rear, not the front.

You can’t remove the 3rd row seats in the GX — if you do, the interior panels will end several inches above the floor.

I found the driver’s seat to be uncomfortable. It felt as though there was a stiff ridge around the edge of the seat bottom.

I was looking at new 2016 GX460s. I found a used 2013 Landcruiser for the same price. I much prefer the 200. YMMV.
Excellent post. Thank you! Everything you listed are things that will annoy me. I think this post solidifies that I must get a 200. Seriously, thanks!

That terrible back hatch was a deal killer for me.

That terrible back hatch was a deal killer for me.

Same here.

I'll have to admit, if it wasn't the GX's rear swing gate, I would have likely gotten the GX over the LX and saved the $10K+ difference, though the LX is the superior truck of the two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom