2010 LX570 Whine/groan noise at idle when warmed up. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Driving home the other day I got out to open the gate where I’m staying and noticed an unusual whining noise. Please have a listen to the video at the bottom of the post and let me know what you think. It’s a sustained noise that only appeared after I started up and drove around this morning - was not making the noise at cold start. Definitely seems to be louder towards the back of the car.

Some other stuff to be aware of on this rig: definitely have the timing chain tensioner clicking noise at idle, this is not the noise I’m talking about. Also have a very slow transfer case leak. Topped up fluid there 2 months ago, hard to image it would be low and why would it make noise while not moving? Just had the bloody transmission replaced 2 months ago, serpentine belt 2 weeks ago, and probably 6 months ago had the AHC pump replaced.

Any insight would be great, this truck has been a problem child as you can see.

I only hear a clicking/minor ticking sound... Listening on my phone, so hard to hear any sort of a whine you are talking about. Is it a slight humming sound? Maybe a vacuum leak of some sort.

I don’t hear anything abnormal, but if you say it’s a new sound I trust you. Might need to find a better way to get audio that conveys what you are hearing.

So the noise that I’m hearing is like the one a power steering system makes when you cut the wheel while stationary. Best example i could find is in this video between 49 and 59 seconds. You can hear it clearest in my video at the very beginning, in mine it’s a sustained hum.

Side note, my transmission temps are hanging around 190-200 for the pan which from my understanding is normal. TC usually stays between 190-200 but occasionally jumps as high as 220. First time ever today driving 80mph into the wind up sustained hills in TN TC hit 240F briefly then jumped back down to 200. There’s also a tone of heat coming off of the center console in the vehicle, do you guys think there is any cause for concern there?

How many miles on it? Ever service the transmission fluid? Transmission act normal otherwise?

I think I heard the same ticking sound as mine. I have a 2013 and just hit 72k Does it have a ticking sound by the drivers side hood? My tech said it's common on the LX570 to make that sound when it's cold and it goes away once the engine has been warmed up. Check your oil level. Sometimes I hear a simple oil and filter change can get rid of it. I know some owners have stated its the tensioner and got it replaced. Which was around 1,200-1,500.

I think I heard the same ticking sound as mine. I have a 2013 and just hit 72k Does it have a ticking sound by the drivers side hood? My tech said it's common on the LX570 to make that sound when it's cold and it goes away once the engine has been warmed up. Check your oil level. Sometimes I hear a simple oil and filter change can get rid of it. I know some owners have stated its the tensioner and got it replaced. Which was around 1,200-1,500.
Our LC has this as well. 2017 with about 70k miles. Ticks when accelerated until warm and then it goes away.

Why did you need a new transmission?
Solenoid failure. Happened while I was on a catastrophe deployment for hurricane Ida working 7 days a week. Started off as an intermittent refusal to shift above 4th gear. The issue came and went half a dozen times during the first week then ultimately stuck around and wouldn’t shift above 3rd. Dealer wouldn’t touch it unless they did the whole tranny, don’t remember what they quoted but it was crazy. Took it to a couple different independent shops and was told they could replace just the solenoids but had no idea when the parts would be available to do so. Work had me on a day rate and I couldn’t afford to not have a vehicle, or to drive everywhere at 45mph.

It was a tough call and really shook my faith in the vehicle. Especially given I had to replace the AHC pump only a couple months prior. As you can see from my very delayed response, it took me 3 months to come around and decide to keep the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom