Events/Trails 200s at Cruise Moab 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was asked if Porcupine Rim is a hard trail. It is listed as a 6 or intermediate. It isnt as hard as Hells. Most of the trail is easy

You start out on a shelf road
Moab 032.jpg

There are some shelves to climb.
219.JPG

227.JPG

Going back the shelf area above is the hardest part
246.JPG

247.JPG

Good spotting for tire placement is all that is needed. There are a few more rocks in the same area to navigate over of about the same complexity

Disclaimer- These pictures are several years old and I havent run the trail in a few years and things can change. I will be prerunning it Tuesday ahead of the event to make sure I am current with the conditions and spotting. Anyone who happens to be there on Tuesday is welcome to run it with me

Here is a video from 2017 from a different kind of vehicle of the hard parts

Swell, just the Swell :D

I’ll be working on a land use/access project on Friday/Saturday and taking part in the Thursday and Friday activities.

👀 👍

Hey all...

Been poking around for updates on whether CM will be (or already is) being altered due to COVID, etc.

Q:
Is there a key link where such info will be posted or has, perhaps, already been addressed?

I’ve been to FB, Risibg Sun, etc.
Who’s got a link?

FWIW...

Aside from the big dinner, etc... I can’t think of a safer environment than being in...your own truck...on a trail...in the desert...in an extremely low-population-density area. :steer: :cheers: 👍

👀 👍

Hey all...

Been poking around for updates on whether CM will be (or already is) being altered due to COVID, etc.

Q:
Is there a key link where such info will be posted or has, perhaps, already been addressed?

Who’s got a link?

FWIW...

Aside from the big dinner, etc... I can’t think of a safer environment than being in...your own truck...on a trail...in the desert...in an extremely low-population-density area. :steer: :cheers: 👍
I have been looking the same places and have seen nothing. I am looking forward to it. I agree with your assessment of the risks.

👀 👍

Hey all...

Q:

Who’s got a link?

FWIW...

Have you checked out this link?

I missed that one. Thank you.

Thanks for link.

Wonder if their FB and main home page could make that link obvious somehow.

This is the official email they sent out this evening.

Cruise Moab 2020 is still happening, but Vendor night & Raffle Dinner have been canceled.
Dear Cruise Moab participant,

Here’s an update on Cruise Moab 2020 and COVID-19, the coronavirus.

The Grand County Council met Wednesday to discuss a temporary ban on large events for the next month. A vote on the ban was ultimately voted down but it was very close, and it sounds like there may be another vote soon when the 7th member of the council can attend.

We also learned that Easter Jeep Safari has canceled their Expo (vendor show) and BBQ events. EJS will still be taking place but it’s just the trail runs now. We mention this because EJS is right before Cruise Moab this year.

The Cruise Moab committee has discussed this issue at great length. Here’s what we arrived at:
  • Cruise Moab 2020 itself has not been canceled… for now. As we stated a few days ago, we are going to wait and see what happens. There are members of our team who predict that we will ultimately be forced to cancel completely, and they may be right.
  • We have decided to cancel our vendor show (Thursday night) and raffle dinner (Friday night) based on recommendations to avoid large gatherings with close personal contact.
  • We’ll be putting together a health and safety plan for the event as required by Grand County.
What happens next? What action should you take?
  • As you might suspect, we have already spent money for a number of items such as event t-shirts, hoodies, hats, and event schwag. We also have reservations for facilities equipment. We are researching now whether some of this money can be refunded if we must cancel the event.
  • We recognize there are participants and vendors who may be ready to cancel now. If this is the case, please send us an email at registration@cruisemoab.com.
  • Because we may be forced to cancel the whole event completely, we are going to delay refunding any cancellations for a few weeks. There is a big difference between processing 25 cancellations vs. 230 cancellations.
  • We will refund 100% of the money for raffle tickets since the raffle is no longer taking place. We’ll do this at the same time we process cancellations, so it will be a few weeks.
  • We’re not going to offer CM registrations to people on our waiting list until we know more. It would be stupid to let people register now when we may be forced to cancel the event completely within a few weeks.
  • We are holding out hope that we can still meet up in Moab and run trails. Believe me, we want to go to Moab just as much as you do!
Just as a reminder…
  • Cruise Moab is a non-profit event run by a non-profit club. No one on the organizing committee or in Rising Sun makes a single dime on it personally. All profits are donated to land-use organizations that support keeping trails open, or to related organizations like Moab Search & Rescue.
  • We are all volunteers. We’ve all spent hundreds of hours organizing the event, researching and reserving facility equipment, creating the online registration, organizing trail selection, recruiting trail leaders and volunteers, coordinating with vendors and sponsors, and a myriad of other things. We all have jobs and families. We do all this because we love the event.
  • We are already upset and dismayed over canceling our vendor night and raffle dinner. We’re working together to face the reality of this situation.
Here's where to discuss this...
If you wish to join our discussion about this situation, please see this thread on the Rising Sun forum. We'll post up additional information in this location as it becomes available. It’s easy and free to register on our forum so you can participate in the discussion.

We’ll keep you updated.

Best regards,
Matt Farr
Cruise Moab 2020 Chairman

Questions? Email us at registration@cruisemoab.com.

Last edited:
This is the official email they sent out this evening.

Cruise Moab 2020 is still happening, but Vendor night & Raffle Dinner have been canceled.
Dear Cruise Moab participant,

Here’s an update on Cruise Moab 2020 and COVID-19, the coronavirus.

The Grand County Council met Wednesday to discuss a temporary ban on large events for the next month. A vote on the ban was ultimately voted down but it was very close, and it sounds like there may be another vote soon when the 7th member of the council can attend.

We also learned that Easter Jeep Safari has canceled their Expo (vendor show) and BBQ events. EJS will still be taking place but it’s just the trail runs now. We mention this because EJS is right before Cruise Moab this year.

The Cruise Moab committee has discussed this issue at great length. Here’s what we arrived at:
  • Cruise Moab 2020 itself has not been canceled… for now. As we stated a few days ago, we are going to wait and see what happens. There are members of our team who predict that we will ultimately be forced to cancel completely, and they may be right.
  • We have decided to cancel our vendor show (Thursday night) and raffle dinner (Friday night) based on recommendations to avoid large gatherings with close personal contact.
  • We’ll be putting together a health and safety plan for the event as required by Grand County.
What happens next? What action should you take?
  • As you might suspect, we have already spent money for a number of items such as event t-shirts, hoodies, hats, and event schwag. We also have reservations for facilities equipment. We are researching now whether some of this money can be refunded if we must cancel the event.
  • We recognize there are participants and vendors who may be ready to cancel now. If this is the case, please send us an email at registration@cruisemoab.com.
  • Because we may be forced to cancel the whole event completely, we are going to delay refunding any cancellations for a few weeks. There is a big difference between processing 25 cancellations vs. 230 cancellations.
  • We will refund 100% of the money for raffle tickets since the raffle is no longer taking place. We’ll do this at the same time we process cancellations, so it will be a few weeks.
  • We’re not going to offer CM registrations to people on our waiting list until we know more. It would be stupid to let people register now when we may be forced to cancel the event completely within a few weeks.
  • We are holding out hope that we can still meet up in Moab and run trails. Believe me, we want to go to Moab just as much as you do!
Just as a reminder…
  • Cruise Moab is a non-profit event run by a non-profit club. No one on the organizing committee or in Rising Sun makes a single dime on it personally. All profits are donated to land-use organizations that support keeping trails open, or to related organizations like Moab Search & Rescue.
  • We are all volunteers. We’ve all spent hundreds of hours organizing the event, researching and reserving facility equipment, creating the online registration, organizing trail selection, recruiting trail leaders and volunteers, coordinating with vendors and sponsors, and a myriad of other things. We all have jobs and families. We do all this because we love the event.
  • We are already upset and dismayed over canceling our vendor night and raffle dinner. We’re working together to face the reality of this situation.
Here's where to discuss this...
If you wish to join our discussion about this situation, please see this thread on the Rising Sun forum. We'll post up additional information in this location as it becomes available. It’s easy and free to register on our forum so you can participate in the discussion.

We’ll keep you updated.

Best regards,
Matt Farr

Questions? Email us at registration@cruisemoab.com.

Well guys, I’m bummed I won’t be seeing ya in Moab. Hopefully we’ll see y’all in 2021.

Stay safe out there!

Unfortunate, but understandable announcement, maybe in the Fall!?!?

Last edited:
The following email was just sent to all Cruise Moab registrants:

March 17, 2020

Dear Cruise Moab registrant,

We are disappointed to tell you that we are canceling the April dates for Cruise Moab 2020. Depending on the situation, we may reschedule for later this year (in the fall), but we cannot commit to anything at present.

If you’re wondering what changed:
  1. The Southeast Utah Health Department has ordered that all Moab-area hotels, campgrounds, and other lodging-related businesses be closed to nonlocal visitors starting tonight at midnight.
  2. Easter Jeep Safari has officially canceled their entire event.
  3. President Trump has issued new guidelines to avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.

Refunds
  • In the next week, we will send out an email asking for your preference concerning your refund. We’ve already heard from some people who want to donate their registration fee towards the costs we have incurred and/or the land use organizations that we help fund annually. You will have a choice to receive a refund, a partial refund, or no refund.
  • Our plan is to either provide refunds or accept donations. We prefer not to issue credits for a future Cruise Moab event.
  • We will refund 100% of your money for raffle tickets, food, and BLM fees.
  • We need to do some accounting to determine the rest of the refund we can issue (since we already have t-shirts and other merchandise).
  • We’re sitting on a big stack of awesome CM2020 shirts and other merchandise. We need to figure out whether to mail these to everyone or sit on them in the hopes we can hold an event in the fall.
  • It will probably be a week or two before we issue refunds.
Rescheduling

• Things are too uncertain to predict whether we can hold a rescheduled CM event in the fall. If we do have a fall CM2020, you will receive the first opportunity to re-register for the event.

On a personal note, I can’t tell you how disappointed I am about this. I first attended Cruise Moab in 2001 and have been involved in planning the event since 2003. This is the first time in 23 years that we have canceled. If we saw any way to have the event safely, we would not be canceling.

If you have a question or comment, please send us an email at registration@cruisemoab.com.

Best regards,
Matt Farr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom