2007 100 series lift question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
question about a lift install I want to do on my 07 100 series. Not trying to do anything crazy but thought may as well do it with tax return/stimmy money. I was thinking that I’d go with the stage 1 icon shocks with ARB rear coils. I went to an ARB dealer/installer and they gave me a price quote on everything. They added in coil strut spacers to the quote, and I really don’t wanna use spacers. The way it’s listed on the quote I can’t tell if it’s a part that comes with ARB springs, if they aren’t actually included, or if they did include them cause it’s listed as $0.00. I’ll only be doing moderate off-roading every so often but I’ve still just heard bad things about using spacers. I was wondering if there was anyway I could modify this setup to work without the spacers? Also if anyone has a similar setup id def like to know how it’s worked out/any opinions on it.

9BFB5C2D-E773-429D-9089-07BB2788AB5A.jpeg

My ARB (same as OME) coils did not come with any spacers. I bought them separately from Cruiser Outfitters. You may want to ask the vendor to confirm what's in the kit you're buying.

You won't need the spacers, but you may want them. If your truck is stock weight, with no full drawers or bumper in the back, you'll likely be just fine without. They're literally just a thin plastic ring that sits on top of the coil inside the truck and gives a little extra height. I'd recommend having a few pairs on hand just in case you want to fine-tune your ride height.

You don’t need spacers with the 860 springs. Are you sure you want to dump $1k into 4 shocks when you’ll be doing occasional, moderate off-roading? Seems like a major waste of money if you’re not hitting the trails every weekend, especially since new OEM Tokico shocks are only $45 a piece.

Is this an AHC truck? If so, does it work?

On my 99 I did a simple front torsion bar adjustment to net about 1" lift up front coupled with the ARB springs in the back that also yielded a ~1" lift in the rear. Toyota OEM shocks. The result was awesome. Factory ride quality, no need for a diff drop, adjustable UCAs, spacers, etc... For moderate off-roading that's a really hard value to beat. Save your "lift" money and invest it elsewhere. Like armor. Or an SS1 from Air Down Gear Up. :)

Asking the real questions. I wondered the same when I saw an 07 looking for a lift.

I was gonna tag you to bring in The Big Guns if the answer is yes

Lol nope no AHC.
On my 99 I did a simple front torsion bar adjustment to net about 1" lift up front coupled with the ARB springs in the back that also yielded a ~1" lift in the rear. Toyota OEM shocks. The result was awesome. Factory ride quality, no need for a diff drop, adjustable UCAs, spacers, etc... For moderate off-roading that's a really hard value to beat. Save your "lift" money and invest it elsewhere. Like armor. Or an SS1 from Air Down Gear Up. :)

Asking the real questions. I wondered the same when I saw an 07 looking for a lift.
Nope no AHC on my cruiser

You don’t need spacers with the 860 springs. Are you sure you want to dump $1k into 4 shocks when you’ll be doing occasional, moderate off-roading? Seems like a major waste of money if you’re not hitting the trails every weekend, especially since new OEM Tokico shocks are only $45 a piece.
Yeah I’ve been looking into cheaper different methods to get the job done. Only reason I’m considering icons is I have a wholesale connect that can get them for me on the cheap

Yeah I’ve been looking into cheaper different methods to get the job done. Only reason I’m considering icons is I have a wholesale connect that can get them for me on the cheap
If you can get the stage 1 Icons for $250 then sure. If not, then I would stick to the tried and true OEM shocks. I don't know anything about the Icon stage 1 shocks that would make them a good value proposition over OEM 100 series shocks. I may just be ignorant, but the website description doesn't show me much value above and beyond OEM shocks.

Now if you were asking about stage 2 where we have remote reservoirs or stage 3 where we have adjustable damping I would flip a 180 and tell you to take advantage of that wholesale hookup. ;)

Why are you concerned about using coil spacers?
I’ve just heard that they can cause probs with the suspension specially if you’re hitting more difficult off-road stuff. Would love to be enlightened with your experience with them though

I’ve just heard that they can cause probs with the suspension specially if you’re hitting more difficult off-road stuff. Would love to be enlightened with your experience with them though

I think along with a few turns of the factory torsion bars they are a great and inexpensive place to start. The only issue I’ve ever seen is when the sway bar is disconnected with lots of articulation, the spacer can come out of alignment with the isolator or spring.

Last edited:

This is my game plan too. So far new factory shocks and torsion bar adjustment done. Buddy has rear springs he’s not using or I’ll do the spacers.
How far can you lift the front w torsion bar adjustment only and how do you know if you go too far. Or do they just not turn anymore?

This is my game plan too. So far new factory shocks and torsion bar adjustment done. Buddy has rear springs he’s not using or I’ll do the spacers.
How far can you lift the front w torsion bar adjustment only and how do you know if you go too far. Or do they just not turn anymore?
Short answer: imo, stick to a <1" lift. 20.5-20.75 wheel center to fender I think.

Torsion bars twist to provide "spring". You can adjust the twist in two ways:

1. Coarse adjustment - "reindex"
2. Fine adjustment - "crank adjustment bolt"

Start with number 2. If you reach the end of the adjustment limits, reindex the bar a tooth and redo your fine adjustment.

That’s only for coilovers, which 100 series don’t have. Stuff a hockey puck spacer into a front coilover on a 4runner and it’ll drive like a damn pogo stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom