2004 Transmission Issue - Washboard Vibration, Shudder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm just finding this site, but I have the exact problem you're describing. I have a 2004 LC, my third LC, the others, a '00 & '02, were destroyed by hail storms and I had zero mechanical issues with them. I bought the 04 with 117k miles, I didn't notice the shudder for a few months, probably because I'm a heavy accelerator. Mine currently has 175k miles, this is the only issue I have with it. During soft acceleration the shudder hits right at 32mph. It was occasional, but then more frequent. It started happening every day when I was taking my son to school since I have to drive up a hill in our neighborhood, which is ideal conditions to recreate the shudder. I went to the dealership, they couldn't recreate the problem. I went to a transmission specialty shop, described when it happens, they got it to so it repeatedly. They found the bulliten from Toyota and said the only option is replacement. $6000 for a Toyota tranny, $4800 for a rebuilt. I wanted to vomit lol. I haven't tried a flush, I've heard mixed information about transmission flushes. The tech at the transmission shop said this issue isn't necessarily fatal to the transmission. The gears aren't slipping, it's just the shudder. It feels worse than it is because the whole car shakes so violently. He suggested if I can live with the shudder, just continue to drive it bc fixing is so expensive and if it eventually fails, then replace it, but otherwise it should continue to drive just fine. I noticed talk of a synthetic flush, I'm nervous to do that but since the last comments are so old here, I'm wondering if any of you have tried this and had any luck with the flush? Thanks!

My husband says this has been happening to him all the time but he's a softer accelerator than I am, so he says let's replace it ASAP bc he's more alarmed by this than I am.

Models affected: 2004-’05 LX 470 vehicles produced before the Production Change Effective VIN: JTJHT00W#53553516

Based on the above, how do I figure out if a particular VIN I have for a 2004 LX falls into the tranny problem category?

Based on the above, how do I figure out if a particular VIN I have for a 2004 LX falls into the tranny problem category?

If your Vin is a lower number then the vin # you showed then yours is one that was made before they developed the "fix" if your vin number is higher then you are OK. You can find your Vin number by looking at the bottom of the windshield drivers side. Or on you insurance card, vehicle registration or title.

I experienced the same thing on my 04. I think if it is an endemic issue, Toyota ought to fix it regardless of warranty but that won't happen of course. Mine got worse after going through standing water on a dirt road. It happens only on an easy acceleration at around 32 mph. i suppose I'll do a drain and fill to see what happens.

During the recent rain we've been having in California, I've been concerned about this. My '05 LX falls within the VIN range for this issue. I'm a little paranoid because the transmission was recently replaced with an oem remanufactured transmission at the Toyota dealer where I purchased the vehicle last summer. Would the new transmission have the new breather from Lexus/Toyota, or would the old breather be reused when reinstalling the transmission? I'm not experiencing any issues, but would like to prevent this from happening if there is a chance that the new transmission could be susceptible to this issue. I'm not sure why the original transmission failed other than it had a stuck solenoid. It did not appear to have the shudder described in this thread.

Is it possible to replace the breather tube as a precaution?

You should be good (updated transmission), but check with Dealer that replaced it. Also ask about warranty, may be good for 1 year.

It *would* be interesting to know if the breather can be modified with the trans in the vehicle. And of the tens of thousands of these built worldwide during that timeframe, how many have actually failed? According to service records, My 04 had trans replaced by the dealer last summer before I owned it because it was delaying engagement going into Reverse. Assuming mine has updated trans so is probably OK anyway.

Last edited:
You should be good (updated transmission), but check with Dealer that replaced it. Also ask about warranty, may be good for 1 year.
I've checked with the dealer and they said not to worry about it since this is a new updated transmission and the TSB is old. I don't have too much confidence in their response. There is a 12 month warranty though.

It *would* be interesting to know if the breather can be modified with the trans in the vehicle.
Anyone know if the breather can be replaced without removing the transmission? A new breather from Toyota is only a few bucks. It would be nice to swap it out for peace of mind.

Agreed I'd like to know too.
I've checked with the dealer and they said not to worry about it since this is a new updated transmission and the TSB is old. I don't have too much confidence in their response. There is a 12 month warranty though.

Anyone know if the breather can be replaced without removing the transmission? A new breather from Toyota is only a few bucks. It would be nice to swap it out for peace of mind.
Agreed.

I would agree with Dealer, once TSB is out all parts thereafter should comply. To be sure get part number from them and research it. If they didn't put in updated transmission they'll make it good.

It's very particular conditions, driving about 30-40, trans is in 5th but then you approach an incline and try to maintain the speed. The trans *should* downshift but it doesn't. The trans rumbles (like driving over really rough asphalt or a rumble strip) and then will finally downshift, especially if you give it gas. Driving around town, it would come up maybe once or twice. Sometimes not at all.

I have a 2000 Isuzu Trooper that does the same thing.
I wonder if the issue is something common with other makes.
Ever since I had the tranny rebuilt it would shutter *sometimes* when in high gear on
approach to a hill or under load. Seems intermittant to me.
Makes me think that maybe just maybe a different fluid would solve this issue.

Sorry to see this, but now I'm kinda happy I've only got the 4 spd.

Thinking out loud, have you turn off the overdrive and the shudder stop? Maybe a work around till you can get it serviced.

Last edited:
I have an 04 and I experienced the low speed shudder that exhibits especially when going low speed and a slight incline. Manually downshifting from D to 4th stops the problem. The dealership told me it was/is the torque converter and could do a replacement for around $1500 parts/labor. I have around 211k on it and am thinking about getting going ahead and getting it rebuilt since the transmission has to come out anyway...but not by the dealer. I tried a complete flush with Valvoline MaxLife and one container of LubeGuard shudder fix. It did stop it for about 30k but has started doing it again. Maybe I'll do another flush and change out the breather tube on it and see if that will do for a while.

I have an 04 and I experienced the low speed shudder that exhibits especially when going low speed and a slight incline. Manually downshifting from D to 4th stops the problem. The dealership told me it was/is the torque converter and could do a replacement for around $1500 parts/labor. I have around 211k on it and am thinking about getting going ahead and getting it rebuilt since the transmission has to come out anyway...but not by the dealer. I tried a complete flush with Valvoline MaxLife and one container of LubeGuard shudder fix. It did stop it for about 30k but has started doing it again. Maybe I'll do another flush and change out the breather tube on it and see if that will do for a while.
I'd just keep flushing every 30K or sooner. Until that doesn't work. Then pick up a used later 05- 07 transmission.
"TRANSMISSION & CLUTCH
TC001-05
Title:
FIFTH GEAR SHUDDER
Models:

'04 - '05 LX 470 (includes LC according to other post)
January 28, 2005
Introduction

FIFTH GEAR SHUDDER Service Bulletin : 00105 - JAN 28, 2005 NHTSA Item #: 10015192

Component: POWER TRAIN

Models affected:
2004-’05 LX 470 vehicles produced before the Production Change Effective VIN: JTJHT00W#53553516 11/2004. LC VIN JTEHT05J#52073579 11/2004

Some 2004 and 2005 model year LX 470 vehicles may exhibit a shudder (or vibration) sensation, usually accompanied by a cyclic droning noise, when lightly accelerating (less than 15% throttle) after the transmission shifts into 5th gear (usually between 35 and 45 mph). This condition may be caused by water entering the transmission breather, contaminating the transmission fluid. The transmission breather has been changed to prevent water intrusion."

I last posted on this a few years ago, but I should report that the condition in my truck just stopped one day, and it hasn't come back. I never did a drain/ fill. Never did a darn thing. My theory was that at the cost of the transmission I would drive it until it blew up. 80,000 miles later, all is still good (knock on wood). No explanation.

OP here. I agreed to a full flush + shudder stop additive at the dealership some time back and that solved the issue. Been good for about 30k miles with no sign of the shudder at all (knock on wood x 2).

I have this exact issue in my LX. Mfg date 06/2006, after the TSB. I’m planning a trans fluid flush anyway since I’m approaching 200k I hope that fixes it. Please update or let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

A year and a half ago (30k miles) I had a slow front diff leak start after a water crossing. My locker was not connected to air yet and port was open (foolish I know). I flushed fluid a half dozen times or so, connected air hose to compressor, extended breathers, and figured I was in the clear. Diff leak still persists but real slight.

Could this water crossing have infiltrated my trans as well and caused my shudder? I’ve only noticed it in maybe the last 5k miles. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom