2001 Toyota Landcruiser new concerning sound any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/74/04/2BDE1F2E-9E1A-4272-AF7E-6635E5F881E5/IMG_1080.MOV

My sweet LC has a lot of needs lately. I’ve replaced the radiator, spark plugs, heater core, and entire braking system. Now this cropped up. Sigh.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/74/04/2BDE1F2E-9E1A-4272-AF7E-6635E5F881E5/IMG_1080.MOV

My sweet LC has a lot of needs lately. I’ve replaced the radiator, spark plugs, heater core, and entire braking system. Now this cropped up. Sigh.

What happened?

I’m not sure why the video didn’t post - but I was driving and heard what sounded sort of like a low whistle (I’m mortified to admit I googled it deer whistles are audible because I just put some on my truck because I’ve been driving through deer heavy areas lately) but essentially the engine is making a cycling noise it sounds like grinding but also ticking. When I hit the accelerator it increases until I get over 30 mph but ceases if I lay off the accelerator before 30 mph. I’m new to this forum - should I be able to post video from an iPhone? Maybe it’s not supported. Taking to the Toyota dealer tomorrow - at least I’m friends with a mechanic there. I have taken great care of this rig since 2004, and it’s has 285k and has been problem-free, wondering if I’ve just reached the expiration date. Which makes me so sad!!

I’m not sure why the video didn’t post - but I was driving and heard what sounded sort of like a low whistle (I’m mortified to admit I googled it deer whistles are audible because I just put some on my truck because I’ve been driving through deer heavy areas lately) but essentially the engine is making a cycling noise it sounds like grinding but also ticking. When I hit the accelerator it increases until I get over 30 mph but ceases if I lay off the accelerator before 30 mph. I’m new to this forum - should I be able to post video from an iPhone? Maybe it’s not supported. Taking to the Toyota dealer tomorrow - at least I’m friends with a mechanic there. I have taken great care of this rig since 2004, and it’s has 285k and has been problem-free, wondering if I’ve just reached the expiration date. Which makes me so sad!!
The mechanic will figure this one out, otherwise it's just a guessing game with the information provided. Could be belt / pulley related. Could be tire / brake relate. Could be anything really, but it's most likely not something that can't be repaired.

The mechanic will figure this one out, otherwise it's just a guessing game with the information provided. Could be belt / pulley related. Could be tire / brake relate. Could be anything really, but it's most likely not something that can't be repaired.
Ding Ding - drive belt was in the process of snapping which it did on the way to the mechanic. Also replacing timing belt and water pump and some recommeded gaskets and such. I am glad I joined this site I need to learn more if I'm going to keep driving this beast - I just love it so much and we've had 21 amazing years together. Never thought I'd be emotionally attached to a vehicle...but I completely get it now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom