2001 Lights Turn On And Stay On With Key Out! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, my first post here.

I have a 2001 LC that has an annoying problem (vehicle is "new to me" since end of 2015 and was a single owner up to that point). When I turn the vehicle off the DRL will turn on and stay on even after the key is fully removed from the ignition! Sometimes the lights turn on immediately after turning off and removing the key and sometimes they turn on at some random time interval later. Once they are on they stay on until the battery is completely drained.

One day I went out to start it and everything was dead, really dead. I figure I left a light on but noticed nothing on when I checked. The same thing happened a few days later. The weather was getting cold and I figured it was battery related. A few days later I came out to start it a few hours after I parked it and noticed that the lights were on; I check everything and nothing is switched on but the lights are clearly on.

Sometimes the lights stay on immediately when I turn it off and remove the key but usually they turn themselves on anywhere between a half hour to a couple of hours after I turn it off. I can't figure this one out.

Only other thing connected to this issue is that I noticed my GPS unit will not power down sometimes (usually when the lights stay on) when I turn the vehicle off and remove the key. Usually when power is cut the GPS senses this and then gives the power down/stay on with battery option and counts down to shutdown. At some point whatever is feeding power to the lights must be connected to the cigarette lighter and is providing power to the GPS.

I have resorted to removing the negative connection to the battery after I get out to keep from draining my battery.

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

I had my driving lights and headlights come on by them selves one day after leaving the cruiser out in the rain for 3 hours. Later that evening the lights were on. Checked the switch and it was set to off. Finally had to disconnect the battery. On mine I think it was due to a leak in my windshield letting water down into a fuse panel. My problem cleared up after it dried out in my garage for a day or two.

Is your cruiser out in the weather when this happens?

Was it cold outside ? Really cold, like 20* or less.

2000 Toyota Corollas had this issue and Toyota put out a 'service bulletin'. The fix was to replace the headlight stalk/switch.

I 'think' this issue was more common when taking the car from a warm climate and all of a sudden to a cold climate. I bought a 2000 Corolla from my family in Houston (they never had this issue) and drove it back to Calif mountains. The 1st night home it was cold and it did exactly as you described.

I googled the issue, bought a new switch ($43) and solved the problem. Haven't heard of this issue on a 100, but you might check for this.

Last edited:
Check the door switches. They tell the computer to turn off the lights, if they are sticky the lights will stay on.

It was really cold when it happened, and it continues to be cold here. I didn't notice this when the weather was warmer (above freezing). The LC does live outside most of the time and perhaps there is a leak. I checked today for any water incursion and couldn't find any or evidence of anything.

I'll check the door switches but if that was the case would they turn on randomly hours after the vehicle has been shut off?

A headlight stalk/switch would be great if that fixes it.

Thanks for all of the input.

Maybe Google TSB's for your 100 or maybe check with your local Toyota dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom