200-Series still in your top 3? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
The 200-series is now 14-years!? old. Many suiters, technology, and other distracting things vying to take old reliables place. Are you still smitten or is some hot new shininess tugging at your purse strings?

List your top 3 cars, and whether the 200-series is still in your top 3. Why?

1. LX570 - still loving the LX for all its capability. Solid, feels quality, and everything works after all these years. Fully amortized and nothing's going to come close to its value at this point. 300-series doesn't speak to me.
2. Cybertruck - all speculation
3. Dang, can't come up with a #3. Sports cars yes, but that won't cover what I really need. Probably a used late model LX570? Maybe a used Porsche Cayenne Baja project?

Well.......

I currently own:

200 Series - still gets the job done, looks killer,
150 Series (GX460)
100 Series

That should be my top 3 but...... I see this damn kid in my neighborhood whipping around a new(ish) Mustang GT and I kinda miss real horsepower and rowing gears sometimes. The horsepower per $$ these days (even though pricing is astronomical IMHO) is quite tempting. Hell, the last Mustang I had was a 96 SVT Cobra and I thought that was quick even stock with the DOHC 4.6L making 305HP.

On second thought, I think I'll stick to my current SUV stable and buy a BMW GS when I'm ready to retire!

In a previous life I was a professional pilot, first a flight instructor then charter, corporate, and eventually airline. Frequently was asked 'what's your favorite airplane' and my response was always 'for what'? Since this is an 'Overlanding' forum, I'll throw out desire for 997s, early Z cars, E30s, bikes, etc. and focus on similar vehicles.

We currently have a 2021 Ram Power Wagon, 2013 Land Cruiser, and 2004 LX 470. That we haven't sold any indicates those are still in our top 3. The 200 will likely get replaced by an 18+ LX 570 here this year as our mission changes. The 470 will likely get built a little more as a trail rig. And the Ram will continue to be my long haul traveler.

Last weekend was the first junior race day up on the mountain. Lots of families have well-built 4wd Sprinters. Traveling cabins those are. Amazing comfort. I could see this be in our future with as much time as we're going to be up there. While they can't do trails, they do fit a different overland mission very well.

I also look forward to the changes with hybrids/EVs and I would say that I have a high level of interest in adding one of those to the fleet. Not model specific yet, just general interest. Waiting for the industry to sort itself out. If Ram goes with the rumored solid battery plus diesel generator, that would be really interesting tech to me.

One other thing we've seriously considered is flat-towing a JLU behind a diesel pusher. For a lot of our missions, that would solve a lot of problems. Stand up room and potty while rolling would be amazing.

Last edited:
Tough decision…….

9AB14952-CDDF-436C-9437-FDC843FF7EC0.jpeg

1A0C9656-F328-4147-96B5-C4FCB40EB8F8.jpeg

I wonder what a 14 year cyber truck will be like. Will it still be on the road with 250k miles? We will see. Will it be able to tow a trailer across KS? I am not sure.

Last edited:
I wonder what a 14 year cyber truck will be like. Will it still be on the road with 250k miles? We will see. Will it be ably to tow a trailer across KS? I am not sure.
Batteries have a life span of 8-10 years tops. It’ll probably be on the road but on a replacement pack.

I'd like to add a BJ70/71 or FZJ80 to my LC200 inventory, but probably a pipe dream so far unless I win the Lottery, and can hire someone to find/build the perfect additions for me.

2016 LC200
1997 T100 SR5 4x4 3.4v6 5speed Manual
1984-1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4 22R with 5speed Manual (never owned one but my best friend had one loved that truck)

1) 200 Series *currently own. I lean towards the Cruiser over the 570 but I've owned both and both will do.
2) Porsche GT3 or Turbo
3) F-250 Tremor.

1. LX570 - actually love the 2011 we have, and it has been a perfect family adventure, small camper hauling off roader

2. Toyota Tundra 5.7 - ours is a 2008 and if not for small rust issues that are starting to creep up it is a perfect do anything work / hobby related work horse

3. Air cooled 911 (964) - a very nice nimble platform that delivers smiles per mile (no need for any audio system in that thing) and a good change from the monster size of the other 2

Prefaced with that 'top three vehicles for what purpose' comment above, so leaving out sports cars like the Lotus Evora, RC-F, and the GT350R, for a do-it-all vehicle, depending on where I lived, I would go with one of the following.

1) 200 Series for a do-it-all daily, road trip, mountain bike, and off-road vehicle - this would be a top choice anywhere.
2) 7th Generation Toyotal Hilux because they were fun as hell to drive when tuned, had great parts support - second choice after the LC200.
3) Image aside (don't like the attention they draw in some places), a 463 Professional Series G-Class would be cool. They have a ton of room for gear inside versus exposed gear in a bed or rack, roll-in-roll-out for some of the bikes the family rides, and much easier to daily than a Sprinter or a full size truck.

That said, if I got back into wheeling like I used to, a full size truck or Sprinter pulling a lightweight trail rig (LJ Jeep, built FJ45, etc etc) would be fun too.

1) Land Cruiser 200 (Daily for reliability and safety - large vehicles (Mass times velocity squared) will win in the majority of accidents, and your life is priceless when it comes to the relatively small cost of burning more fuel to haul around that extra mass)
2) Toyota Tundra 5.7 (Truck to haul dirty items that you don’t want on the carpet and longer wheelbase for better towing)
3) Manual Chevy Camaro ZL1 (low mileage Sunday vehicle with some of the best $ per horsepower ratio for having fun)

1. LX570, not very keen on the 2016 and newer looks
2. 2009 Subaru Outback the last great looking Outback made
3. 2004-2007 Volvo V70R the last Volvo high performance wagon (w/ engine built)

There are no plans for new vehicles in the family until we get a Land Cruiser running on hydrogen. We plan to skip the EV fad.

My top 3 don’t exist yet, but when a manufacturer comes out with a plug in hybrid SUV with decent off road and towing capabilities, I’ll pay close attention. The new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4Xe comes closest right now, but the little 4-banger they put in doesn’t do it. I’m definitely going some level of electrification for my next SUV. I’m spoiled by the quiet smooth power of electric drive that makes my LC seem noisy and ancient. And I was keenly aware that last summer/fall when gas was over $4/gallon, every trip to my cabin was $250 just in gas. One more thing about favorite vehicles.…for me that has to include quality of dealerships. I’m getting old enough I have to rely on others to do some of the maintenance and repairs. That leaves any Toyotas off my list.

Ultra Realistic top 3:

1 - a big ass SUV that can go there
my LX, supercharged, a real $ brake system upgrade, a real exhaust and a big fuel tank. I cant think of anything quite like that outside G63, and this rides miles better. RR is too refined for the brutishness im aiming for. You know what i mean, you cant bug out in a range rover lol

2 - a city sedan EV.
Probably used Model S? Something that is always charged and ready for redundancy. Grocery getter, commuter, can auto pilot in traffic. If only the fsd wasnt a con, id have chosen one already. Too bad the wagons are fugly. And not real wagons.

3 - weekend coupe
Probably a BMW M4/5/6 couldn’t tell you which one though, there are so many these days. I just love the brand. Or maybe what used to be the old cls 63/65 coupe, or the former E 63 S that was sub 3s to 60. Or if it was at all practical outside the track GT3RS.

Something like that anyway without getting into 918 spyder etc and the sort.

Two out of three ain't bad.
IMG_2199(1).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom