200 Series Hitch Receiver and Rear Camera Surprise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud community,

I have a 2021 200 Series that is my new tow vehicle for my small Airstream. Bought the truck for countless reasons, one being a more comfortable tow vehicle over the 2012 Tacoma I have had since new.

To my surprise when picking up the Airstream from storage, I found I could not for the life of me center the trailer coupler onto the hitch from the rearview camera (pic included). If our exhaust pipes came out the right side of the truck, that is what is showing as "center" from the camera view.

Today I brought the truck to the dealership and asked for the rear camera to be recalibrated, and learned from them calling Toyota, this is "just how it is". Super surprising on such a premium truck, especially since my Tacoma was rock solid center and I could always count on hitching up without assistance. What the heck?!?

How have any of you experienced issues with the rear camera for trailer hook up? Have you just grown used to it, or have you sought out other solutions? I saw Victory 4x4 has a rear camera relocation kit, but I'm not planning on moving my spare to the back of the truck. Any advice or thoughts are helpful. Thanks.

20220406_Camera alignment_.jpg
20220406_First hitch.jpg

I don't disagree with your situation and response - sounds like you see that 8 inch offset location of the camera is the culprit. I chalk it up to a platform designed in 2006, 2007 when the cameras weren't standard features. Camera relocation would be your best bet, or others have added aux cameras mounted under their spoilers if I recall.

Hopefully you can learn the offset and use the camera as is. Are you adding any airbags to the rear springs to dial in ride and any sag when towing?

Put a marker on the flat of your bumper in the center over the hitch. Could be a stick or some tape or some paint, sky’s the limit.
If you want to spend $100 there are many Wi-Fi temp camera / monitor solutions available designed for this issue.

I don't see the problem at all. You can clearly see the coupler in the camera screen, why do you need it to be centered? Align the coupler with the trailer, hook up and go.

Maybe I've just been doing that for too long and have gotten used to it. It seems pretty easy to watch the ball align with the hitch.

I don't see the problem at all. You can clearly see the coupler in the camera screen, why do you need it to be centered? Align the coupler with the trailer, hook up and go.

Agreed! Both the trailer and the ball are offset the same - just look at them and align them - not a problem.

:meh:

Great responses--appreciate the thoughts. I was thinking on the way back from the dealership about a painting new "line" on the a frame of the trailer hitch. Maybe I'll try that till I get irritated and then go the aux or camera relocate route. Watching the ball and hitch alone on this initial hook up didn't give me enough time to course correct.

As for the rear end support, on my Tacoma I went all out with a Firestone onboard air and remote bags and it ended up being more problems than it was worth for me. I sacrificed a lot in rear end ride quality--granted it was a truck box, and was it was constantly adjusting air which never really gave the combo a solid ride. While revisiting what I might have done differently, I am starting out with the 200 on a "path of least resistance" with having added Sumo Springs on all four corners--truck rake sunk to level with no bars, which is a good sign. If that meets my needs to keep a comfy ride in check, cool. If not, I may step it up to the Timbrens. (I don't offroad the 200--I have an FJ40 for that.) My trip home from storage with the LC with no WD engaged was actually a more controlled ride than any with the Taco since starting to tow the trailer in 2015--I'll see how the Sumo Springs work with a load later this month. An ARB compressor is in my future, but only for inflation.

For anyone that's interested, here's the link for the Sumo Springs--I found lots of intel and review online for trucks, Expeditions and Suburbans going with this solution, but I seem to be in new ground here among the 200 community:

Thanks again for the thoughts!

agree. Don’t concentrate on the car and hitch. Just literally look at the hitch and it’s doable. Then again for me my trailer is small so I can make minor adjustments by dragging my trailer manually.

If it really bugs you there are cheap trailer hitch cameras with a Bluetooth screen that you can stick on the hitch with a magnet. Use it to hook up. Then take it off and store in your glove compartment for the next time.

Some modern trucks come with a centered hitch cam OEM now. But our LC weren’t really designed for the towing community. Our cameras are designed for avoid hitting a person in the parking lot.

I installed a triple dash cam where the monitor is an actual rear view mirror. I ordered an extra camera and installed that on the back of my trailer so I can see the rear when towing. With this setup you can set one of the cameras to be a directly centered rear camera looking down on your hitch and use it as a alignment device as well as to check on your trailer while towing.

Great responses--appreciate the thoughts. I was thinking on the way back from the dealership about a painting new "line" on the a frame of the trailer hitch. Maybe I'll try that till I get irritated and then go the aux or camera relocate route. Watching the ball and hitch alone on this initial hook up didn't give me enough time to course correct.
After you connect your trailer about 3 times, you will be calibrated and forget the offset is even there. Now the trailer plug location will piss you off forever....

Now the trailer plug location will piss you off forever....
My blood pressure goes up just from reading about it.

In fact, mine is problematic and probably needs to be replaced. I wonder if I can relocate it into the bumper cover somewhere...

After you connect your trailer about 3 times, you will be calibrated and forget the offset is even there. Now the trailer plug location will piss you off forever....
Already has pissed me off, but that I was somewhat prepared for. Planning to get an extend-a-7-pin plug and get it out where I can plug in without crawling! (Putt-putt boat 4-pin cable won't even reach.)

I hate Harbor Freight, but I bought a 7 way to 4 way plug coiled cable extension there years ago that I use all the time on small trailers.

Mud community,

I have a 2021 200 Series that is my new tow vehicle for my small Airstream. Bought the truck for countless reasons, one being a more comfortable tow vehicle over the 2012 Tacoma I have had since new.

To my surprise when picking up the Airstream from storage, I found I could not for the life of me center the trailer coupler onto the hitch from the rearview camera (pic included). If our exhaust pipes came out the right side of the truck, that is what is showing as "center" from the camera view.

Today I brought the truck to the dealership and asked for the rear camera to be recalibrated, and learned from them calling Toyota, this is "just how it is". Super surprising on such a premium truck, especially since my Tacoma was rock solid center and I could always count on hitching up without assistance. What the heck?!?

How have any of you experienced issues with the rear camera for trailer hook up? Have you just grown used to it, or have you sought out other solutions? I saw Victory 4x4 has a rear camera relocation kit, but I'm not planning on moving my spare to the back of the truck. Any advice or thoughts are helpful. Thanks.

View attachment 2980399View attachment 2980400.

It is very easy to adjust those lines.. so they line up with the trailer.

I just moved mine as I moved the camera.

Directions:
1). press the start button 2 times (do not step on the brake) and wait until the Navi gets past the continue to it's normal state.
2). Hold down the Navi setup button and cycle the headlights switch to headlights on and back to off 3 times... while holding down the setup button.
3). release the setup button and the back door menu appears.
4). then press the I think it's align button and hold it down.. then the rear camera..

Then you can move the lines around up down sideways etc..

Then start the car and see how they look.
Redo as necessary.

If you get stuck post back and I'll post some pictures.

How do you like that mini trailer? .. I have been debating between that one and the Oliver. Been leaning toward oliver for cold weather reasons.

Directions:
1). press the start button 2 times (do not step on the brake) and wait until the Navi gets past the continue to it's normal state.
2). Hold down the Navi setup button and cycle the headlights switch to headlights on and back to off 3 times... while holding down the setup button.
4). then press the I think it's align button and hold it down.. then the rear camera..

Redo as necessary.

How do you like that mini trailer? .. I have been debating between that one and the Oliver. Been leaning toward oliver for cold weather reasons.
Wow, this is super helpful info! I will give that a shot this weekend. At least that way I can work with the camera angle.

Love the Airstream, fit, function, and size work well for 2 adults and a dog. Only drawback is it's aluminum.....dents and road gravel are not kind. Oliver is a nice unit, too. I would also look at Bigfoot or Lance as an option if I were to do it over again. Can't go wrong if you want to be fleet of foot. We fit in National Parks and areas where others cannot go.

Directions:

Redo as necessary.

:oops: For real? How did you figure this out?

Hmmm would love to see and hear how this goes. But my feeling is you’ll be moving the green yellow red lines which currently aligned with your car. And moving them may give a false sense of where your car will track for the sake of centering the hitch in your screen.

The aftermarket dash cams have a similar adjustment where you can move the lines to be aligned to you vehicle. But I just toggled them off as I just wanted a clear rear picture.

Hmmm would love to see and hear how this goes. But my feeling is you’ll be moving the green yellow red lines which currently aligned with your car. And moving them may give a false sense of where your car will track for the sake of centering the hitch in your screen.

The aftermarket dash cams have a similar adjustment where you can move the lines to be aligned to you vehicle. But I just toggled them off as I just wanted a clear rear picture.

... It has different setting for the blue vs the yellow red lines.

Last edited:
Wow, this is super helpful info! I will give that a shot this weekend. At least that way I can work with the camera angle.

Love the Airstream, fit, function, and size work well for 2 adults and a dog. Only drawback is it's aluminum.....dents and road gravel are not kind. Oliver is a nice unit, too. I would also look at Bigfoot or Lance as an option if I were to do it over again. Can't go wrong if you want to be fleet of foot. We fit in National Parks and areas where others cannot go.

The setting for the camera looks like it it is greyed out and unavailable but you just press it for a few seconds and the camera adjustments show up.

I find the offset to be terribly frustrating. I often park where I have to elevate the trailer tongue up almost to the limit of the jack to level it and the offset makes trying to get the two lined up almost impossible. This isn’t a operator problem, I have a commercial drivers licence originally issued in the 70’s and have quite a bit of experience towing my jet boat, 16’ travel trailer, 25’ travel trailer and my utility trailer with my 200’s. I have to try and guess how far the offset is to estimate how far to the right the ball has to be to ma5ch up. I guess if you park on level ground all the time it’ll be okay but I don’t. And those line up lines on the LX end up going across the screen right where the ball is, especially if there is sunshine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom